Unexpected shutdown after period of inactivity
I'm hoping someone could give me some pointers on how to go about investigating my PC switching itself off after approximately 10 minutes of inactivity (not sleeping, as Windows is configured to do after 30 mins).

This happens when I leave the computer unattended whilst in XBMC. I haven't (yet) checked if it happens outside of XBMC, though I suspect it will.

The eventviewer shows:

> The previous system shutdown at <time> on <date> was unexpected.

But nothing else of significance.

The xbmc debug log doesnt really have anything of interest either, though mentions something about "CRemote" and error connecting (? - sorry I dont have access to the log just now, but will post it later tonight if it's relevant).

The reason I'm convinced this is software related is because the shutdown always occurs around about 10 mins after leaving the PC alone, with no input. I havent timed it precisely, but will do so when I next get a chance.

If I am using the PC, or watching a film, it does *not* shutdown.

Any tips or advice on how to go about investigating the cause of this ?
there are also xbmc feature under settings what to do after n-minutes.. alternatives are also pc shut-down.. maybe these are enabled there..
My settings are "exit xbmc after 10min of idle"..

settings / System Settings / Power Saving
Yes, checked those. All are disabled, and xbmc is set to quit on the last option (from memory, there are 3 configurable options under Power Saving).

Windows is set to turn off the display after 10 mins and sleep after 30 mins. I did try changing both of these settings to Never, but it had no effect, as I suspected it may have been shutting down for some reason in trying to turn the display off.
Been doing some testing today, and in fact the PC only shuts down whilst in xbmc (!).

If I leave it on the windows desktop, it's completely fine.

The last thing in the XBMC log is:

20:47:01 T:1436 M:1546919936 DEBUG: CAnnouncementManager - Announcement: OnScreensaverActivated from xbmc
20:47:01 T:1436 M:1546919936 DEBUG: GOT ANNOUNCEMENT, type: 2, from xbmc, message OnScreensaverActivated
20:47:01 T:1436 M:1547034624 DEBUG: ------ Window Init () ------
20:48:43 T:1256 M:1566285824 DEBUG: Thread CRemoteControl 1256 terminating

Not sure where to go from here ? I'll try deactivating the xbmc screensaver, but it's not shutting down as soon as the screensaver kicks in.

What is CRemoteControl and what's the significance of it terminating ?
besides the point here...
Believe it or not, but your TV can also trigger/set this. My Sony HX900 has Power Saver features for the PC and there are settings to controll PC's powersafe scheme.

I had Win'7 power saver features all off, but always when I choose HDMI as input (pc), windows 7 finds a new hardware, monitor (sound only the finding), hence the new device overrides win'7 scheme.

I turned TV's powersaver features off, and now PC's desktop is always there the second I turn the TV to it. The problem was that somehow screen was black and did not come back on unless HDMI cable reconnection..
I'm getting a similar issue (posted here) and haven't been able to solve it.

The only new info I have to add is that the HTPC is set to wake in the middle of the night to do its backup. When it wakes and XBMC is still running XBMC does the 'correct' 30min wait before sleep. I'll see if I can capture a log when it just sleeps after playing media.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
I have the same problem, haven't been able to solve it either

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unexpected shutdown after period of inactivity0