[AppleTV2] External HDD with XBMC
EDIT: ok, deleted original post as I realized I'm an idiot, and that no, I can't build a library from an external HDD plugged in to USB.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on my options though.

So, i have two computers: a MacBook pro and an old MacBook that is never used.

All my media is stored on an external HDD.

I could just always plug that HDD into my laptop everytime I want to watch a movie, but that seems like a huge pain.

I could also always leave my clunky old MacBook turned on and plugged into the HDD, but again, that doesn't really feel like a hood solution.

What other option do I have? It really seems like madness, not being able to plug in an HDD.

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks.
Good luck, however you just might want to try searching to see if this question has been answered before (and it has).
Also, I should add that my new Mac is running snow leopard.

The old one is running leopard, and TBH is probably on it's last legs.
davilla Wrote:Good luck, however you just might want to try searching to see if this question has been answered before (and it has).

Sorry! Realized not long after. Poor form on my part. I guess I just really hoped there had been some sort of recent update. Smile

I have revised my original question, would love any help, if I haven't already tarnished my name forever?
The secret is to stream, either from your computer via your router or from a NAS.
A NAS would enable you to stream content to all your network enabled devices; it's just like your external HDD but with networking software and capabilities.
have you a usb slot on your router ...? if so, you can hook up external hdd there, and setup a smb network connection...thats what i do ! and router ethernet wired into atv2 then
I do have a USB on my router, but I'm using the one that came with my internet package (BoB) and apparently the USB port is RRRREALLLY slow.

NAS would be good, but ideally I don't want to throw down another couple of hundred dollars for the set up.

I suppose my best option might be to fire up the old Macbook and leave it on all the time, effectively acting as a NAS/File server.
Bratha Wrote:I do have a USB on my router, but I'm using the one that came with my internet package (BoB) and apparently the USB port is RRRREALLLY slow.

NAS would be good, but ideally I don't want to throw down another couple of hundred dollars for the set up.

I suppose my best option might be to fire up the old Macbook and leave it on all the time, effectively acting as a NAS/File server.

Yep you've got it, basically you need the media available on the network with the atv2 (well anything significant anyway, the atv2 storage space isn't worth talking about). When you are ready to spend there are planty of NAS devices out there that take 1 or 2 drives in your "couple of hundred dollars" range.
Bratha Wrote:I suppose my best option might be to fire up the old Macbook and leave it on all the time, effectively acting as a NAS/File server.

Maybe you could install FreeNAS on your Mac hardware. I am running FreeNAS and it makes for an excellent set-and-forget file server. If not freenas, then some other minimal distro.
rickrude Wrote:Maybe you could install FreeNAS on your Mac hardware. I am running FreeNAS and it makes for an excellent set-and-forget file server. If not freenas, then some other minimal distro.

Sounds like a good idea for the short term. And maybe one day I'll pick up a proper NAS solution.

Thanks all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] External HDD with XBMC0