ATV2 and PC with Shared Library
I am at my wits and hope someone can help. I need a shared library in mysql shared between my new ATV2 and other PC's around the house. I have the database created and setup correctly and have the proper advancedsetting.xml's configured.

I read in other posts that ATV2's xbmc may use a different database and i know the nightly builds use a different database. i am guessing i dont know which ones play together but i have tried everything (i think) here is what i have done (each attempt had a brand new dropped/created database:

Attempt #1
ATV2 = installed from NikoTV
PC = XBMC 10.1
Result = populated library from pc. viewed library properly from atv2. when i went back to pc the library's were no longer viewable

Attempt #2
PC = XBMC 10.x nightly build
Result = populated library from pc. library not showing in atv2.

Attempt #3
Result = populated library from atv2. viewed library properly from pc. when i went back to atv2 the library's were no longer viewable

what am i doing wrong?
Thermos Wrote:Attempt #3
Result = populated library from atv2. viewed library properly from pc. when i went back to atv2 the library's were no longer viewable

what am i doing wrong?

Hi Thermos -

I am currently using an ATV2, an ATV1 and a few PC installs with MySQL. I set it all up this weekend and I did almost exactly the same thing as you in #3 (quoted above) however I have stared using a nightly build on my ATV2 instead if 10.0-9 since I was having all sorts of issues wit MySQL. I cannot remember if I had it all working before installing the nightly, but here is how it IS working:

ATV2 installed via NitoTV and then updated to nightly... In order to upgare from 10.0-9 on ATV iOS 4.3 (the newest one) you need to manually remove the /Applications/XBMC.frappliance folder since it will crash the DPKG right now (see emkay's post)... No big deal, use "rm -r /Applications/XBMC.frappliance" or do it in winSCP, takes a few seconds. Just delete it and then run this:

wget http://xbmc.hadm.net/latest_atv2.deb
dpkg -i latest_atv2.deb
rm latest_atv2.deb

That gave me a nightly version and it has been doing the trick. I believe that this is an old nightly and that there are newer ones being built now, but this one worked...

Next... Drop all your MySQL database tables and let the ATV2 build them. Basically, just have the two databases with nothing in them and then turn on the ATV2 with the correct advanced settings. This was the only way I could get it to work. Once the ATV2 built the DB table structure, all was OK and I used the PC (windows nightly from Aug 13th) to scrape since the ATV2 is still really slow.

Finally, nightlys allow for the path substitution stuff that is needed for thumbnails... See the end of the advanced settings.

Here are my advanced settings:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
    <videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.15.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>user</user>
        <pass>pass</pass>
        <name>xbmc_video</name>
    </videodatabase>
    <musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>192.168.15.5</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>user</user>
        <pass>pass</pass>
        <name>xbmc_music</name>
    </musicdatabase>
    <pathsubstitution>
     <substitute>
      <from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
      <to>smb://192.168.15.5/media/Thumbnails2/</to>
     </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

For reference, i use:

ATV2 with iOS 4.3 (8F455) JB with Seas0npass
XBMC nightly from keith (see above)

ATV1 Crystalbuntu from Sam's image running PVR nightly

Windows Nightly using Aug 13th build

All share the same advancedsettigns.xml and sources.xml using SMB to a Synology NAS. The MySQL database is also housed in the Synology NAS.
Thank you SOOO much!!! I will try this tonight when i get off work and will post back with the results.
it worked like a dream. thank you so much for your detailed answer!!!
I'm new to the ATV2 - how do you get the advancedsettings.xml into the ATV2?
Ozymandyaz Wrote:Hi Thermos -

I am currently using an ATV2, an ATV1 and a few PC installs with MySQL. I set it all up this weekend and I did almost exactly the same thing as you in #3 (quoted above) however I have stared using a nightly build on my ATV2 instead if 10.0-9 since I was having all sorts of issues wit MySQL. I cannot remember if I had it all working before installing the nightly, but here is how it IS working:

Helpful post but been a nightmare for me to get working. Seems to be working now with 2 ATV2s finally connecting to MySQL on a fast PC. But its so slow to update library and XBMC takes about 5 seconds to respond to each keypress.

Is it normally so crap slow? I've kinda given up and just accepted that I'll run two databases but I'd like to know if its quick for other people.

Thanks
its quick here since i am using ethernet instead of wifi...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and PC with Shared Library0