memory leak?!
I'm using the last xbmc-pvr git build (18-08-2011 on https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc) on my apple tv and I can see evident memory leak problems. During the playback of movies recorded on the VDR backend (I don't know if it is related to VDR plugin) the memory usage grows. Then the ATV starts to heavily trash on the swap file. The effect is more evident with the HD movies (using the crystal HD card). The memory leaks looks less evident during live playback but I have to check.

Is there a way to debug or harvest useful information for the developers? I guess that the xbmc.log file is not sufficient.

Other people with such problem?

Update: I can note a slow memory usage growing also with xbmc in idle on the main screen after a fresh application startup.
On the Apple TV 1 it can be found at /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ
joebrady Wrote:On the Apple TV 1 it can be found at /Users/frontrow/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...ecific_FAQ

Sorry, I didn't specify that I'm using linux (crystalbuntu). I've tested the last build provided by the crystalbuntu's author (sam) but also a personal build from git. The same behavior. I can provide the xbmc.log file is it is useful.
Chuck up the XBMC log, located in /root/userdata/.xbmc/temp. I think you will find this is fixed in master though and when this is merged into pvr-ppa48 the problem will be solved. Try building master then seeing as you now know how to compile for Crystalbuntu.
I know this thread is old, but I think is still relevent to the leak I've been encountering and would like a little more info.
Using XBMC 12 Frodo RC 3 and encounter a definitive memory leak at random times when using the mediaportal pvr (watching live tv).

I say definitive because in seconds, all available RAM is consumed and I guess stuff is shoved to the pagefile and it takes forever to close XBMC or terminate it with Program Manager which also takes a lot of time to even come up obviously.

I have 11 crash reports that are 0 bytes and 3 that have content.
I created the advancedsettings.xml and changed the loglevel to 3, but I'm not seeing any evidence of memory reports in it.

This is my first time looking at the log file and see some ffmpeg errors that may be related to a poor OTA signal tonight.
I'll keep my eye out for errors when I have good reception and it still encounters a memory leak.

Is the leak going to be logged? Why are only a few of those crash reports containing data?
To go along with ankn's update about a slow leak, I have seen that as well and just restarted XBMC.
A fresh start is about 58 MB and I've seen it around 500 MB before, but those quick leaks shoot up to > 2 GB.
i don't see any obvious leaks here with pvr.hts, and valgrind doesn't show anything special either.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
FOUND IT! Big Grin
I was trying to force it last night while having procexp open and changing channels back and forth and it only got up to a little under 200 MB. I never got the fast leak though.

But just right now, I had task manager open just to check and before I changed a channel and my mouse accidentally went over the side menu and when it hovered over Recordings, the mouse stopped and I saw the memory climb very quickly. I was able to end the task before it got out of hand (~800MB).
I tried it again from a clean open. I didn't start any tv channels. I just went to the TV page, moved my mouse to the left to slide open the left menu and moved my cursor up and the same thing happened.

What information besides that can I offer? I don't think I could do a memory dump fast enough when the memory climbs so quickly. I could do a video screen capture.
a leak would mean that this memory isn't freed. that's not happening according to valgrind with pvr.hts, so it's not an issue with xbmc as far as i can see. try asking for help in the forum section for mediaportal
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Right you are. I completely removed MP, disabled and uninstalled the MP add-on, installed NPVR 2.5.9, enabled it's add-on, performed the previous steps that caused the memory blowup and nothing bad happened.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
memory leak?!0