[ATV1] Installing Linux and XBMC on my ATV1
Currently I am using XBMC with the stock v3 OSX. However it seems unstable and keeps freezing and crashing. I need to reboot it about once a day. Getting and installing a Broadcom card has not improved matters or made it worse.

I am considering installing Linux with the anticipation this with make everything better.

Only the question is: which version ?

Currently I use Ubuntu and have found this really stable. Equally would be happy to try something else.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, George
You need to use Hardy if you want hdmi audio to work.

If you want to experience instability issues with the crystalhd card then anything newer than hardy will give them to you. You will experience memory issues with the card that can only be cured by a reboot. It may play many movies just fine before it goes tits up, or not even one. It'll be a pain in the arse!

Anyway, if you've got the linux chops, you can do bootstrap your own minimal hardy install from the bootloader project, or you can use Sam's crystalbuntu installer and have it done for you hassle free....

Jim
Sams cystalbuntu is great - my brother uses it
I like to "roll my own" Linux setup. I followed these instructions
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV
Thanks everyone!

I will give these a try and report back.
Finished setting up the ATV last night.

It took a while (several hours), but now works perfectly. Have had no reliability/stability issues so far.

The HDMI audio did not work. I needed to do do one step that was not in the guide, which was to add the 'xbmc' user to group 'audio'.

How can I get the guide updated?
Which guide?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1] Installing Linux and XBMC on my ATV10