[AppleTV/iOS] Installation/FAQ
Welcome to the Installation / FAQ / Workarounds thread. This thread aims to provide you with information for XBMC on iOS that is commonly requested, or is particularly important to this platform.

IMPORTANT!!: This thread is *NOT* for troubleshooting. The aim of this thread is to be informative. It is not for discussion of problems with installation or any other issues. The thread will be left open for constructive suggestions such as suggested FAQs to add to the list (ideally with solutions and/or links please). Again; please do not use this thread for troubleshooting!

Installation | FAQ | Workarounds/Guides

----------------------------------------------

Installation

Jailbreaking

This is not a jailbreak forum, and discussion on this topic here is not permitted. All jailbreak posts on this forum will be moved/deleted, and repeat offenders will be warned and banned if it continues. However, jailbreaking is an essential step that must be performed before you install XBMC. There is a Jailbreak FAQ which is updated regularly that should answer most questions on the subject.

For ALL BUILDS you will be testing it. Proper bug reports, in the relevant thread (not this one!), are appreciated and help improve XBMC. However, do understand that [b]you use this version at your own risk. Please do not whine and moan if it is not working properly![/b]

Installing the XBMC Cydia repo version
current version: 10.0-9, released 23-June-2011

XBMC for iOS is a work-in-progress. As such there is no truely stable, or bug-free version of the software available on this OS. The repo version is the last packaged version for installation via Cydia/NitoTV. It's issues are well documented. Please note that the latest repo version is a selected nightly build so there are likely to be compatibility issues with skins and addons intended for use with Dharma versions of XBMC.

There are a couple of ways to install the repo version, the methods for these are better explained elsewhere. Please follow the relevant link for more information:

If you are installing onto an AppleTV2 you can If you are installing on an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch then install via Cydia [Guide on XBMC wiki]

Installing the XBMC nightly build

The nightly build of XBMC is, as the name implies, updated nightly! It is made up from the very latest code in the XBMC project. This code has not been tested. As such, it should be expected that the software will be buggy, and may even suffer from damage to core functionality.

A list of nightly builds (including the most recent) can be found here: [ATV2] [iPad/iPhone/iPod touch]
The most recent build is at the top of the list

As this version is constantly progressing a comprehensive list of issues is difficult to track. You can find a list of what issues are known in this version here.

installation and upgrade:

Note on iOS 4.3: (yes, this applies again)
INSTRUCTIONS for ATV2 and iOS devices

Automated nightly builds are now being provided by XBMC.org. Instuctions for installation can be found on the wiki via the following links:
ATV2 installation guide
iPad/iPhone/iPod touch installation guide

Full Commitlog/Changelog:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits

Downgrading to a previous version

If you wish to downgrade to a previous version, then SSH into your iOS device and type:
  1. apt-get remove org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
  2. wget <URL_of_deb_file>
  3. dpkg -i <name_of_deb_file>
  4. rm <name_of_deb_file>

Be sure to exchange the bits in blue for the relevant information

The previous repo versions can be found here: [ATV2] [iPad/iPhone/iPod touch]
The previous nightlies can be found here: [ATV2] [iPad/iPhone/iPod touch]

Checking which version you are using

If you want to know what version you are currently using you can find the version and build date under System info. Where this is located may vary depending on what skin you are using. In the default skin (Confluence) you can find this by scrolling to "SYSTEM" on the main menu, and selecting "System info" from the sub-menu that appears.

A note on backing up your settings

You may wish to back up your settings, add-ons, and library entries. This may be useful if you need to remove XBMC from your device, or re-jailbreak it.

To back up your userdata, simply make a copy of your userdata folder onto another device.
The location of your userdata folder is:

/User/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

Access this folder via SSH, or through a sFTP client such as Filezilla or Cyberduck (see FAQ for more info)

To restore, transfer the directory back to it's original location, and overwrite what is already there.

link to old FAQ/info/issues thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91581
FAQ

Also check the FAQ on the Wiki

1. Jailbreak questions

This is not a JB support forum and JB talk won't be tolerated. There is a closed jailbreaking FAQ thread for reference. If your question cannot be answered there, refer to these forums: firecore or modmyi.

2. Logging into your ATV2/iDevice after jailbreaking

Q: What is SSH?
A: SSH is a secure shell to access and install software on your ATV2. For ssh command line access you can use putty or Tunnelier on Windows, the Terminal app in Mac OS X, or any standard terminal/shell in Linux.

Q: Is there a more user-friendly alternative to SSH?
A: Try using a SFTP client like Filezilla or Cyberduck. See this post for a quick-start guide on setting up Filezilla.

3. Hardware Related

Q: You say XBMC can do 1080p but it only displays 720p!
A: XBMC can decode 1080p videos but atm the ATV2 is limited to display 720p output only. Its still a question if this is hardware limited or software limited. Currently this is not a priority.

Q: Can I hook up my external harddrive or other USB device to the ATV2?
A: The ATV2 cannot operate as a USB host. Hooking an external drive or any other USB device will not work. Media must be physically on the ATV2, or hosted on the network.

Q: Can I use a BT Keyboard with XBMC?
A: Yes. Click here.

Q: My volume control isn't working, not even with a custom remote!
A: This is normal. For now you'll need to control volume via a 3rd party piece of hardware (e.g. amp, or TV).

Q: Can I use my Logitech Harmony remote with XBMC on ATV2?
A: Yes and you can get additional functions by doing so. See this thread from post #18 onwards for more info, and setup instructions.

4. Software Related

Installation and setup

Q: How do i install XBMC?
A: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108720#1

Q: Repo build or nightly build?
A: Repo builds are largely stable and issues are well documented. Nightly builds are built from the most up-to-date code but they haven't been tested so may be unstable, and may even suffer from damage to core functionality.

Q: Where can I find previous versions of XBMC (for downgrading)?
A: See above under the "Downgrading to a previous version" heading

Q: How do I backup my XBMC install so I can upgrade my ATV2?
A: It's in the Wiki FAQ.

Q: How should i setup my media for XBMC? How do I access it?
A: This YouTube tutorial tell's you how to setup sharing with a Mac, though it's quite easily translatable to other any other OS too.

Q: How can I connect to a network/share drive?
A: Kaiserlein has a made a great explanation for it here. If you're running Lion, a good option is FTP (other options).

Q: I have several XBMC devices, how do I centralize my XBMC library?
A: There's a tutorial here that explains how.

Q: Can I enable DTS and AC3 on my ATV2?
A: Yes you can! See here if you have an official build. It's already enabled in the unofficial builds.

Q: Ok I have enabled it, but I still don't have any sound!?
A: Kaiserlein came up with a solution for some of us. It's not the XBMC software on your atv2, but it has to do with your receiver (Denon or Sony).

Q: Why isn't XBMC available from Apple's iOS App Store?
A: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=100603

Use

Q: How do I bring up the context menu?
A: Press and hold the "menu" button on your ATV2 remote, or on a touchscreen device double-tap the menu item. There's info on customizing the ATV2 remote buttons here and here (includes custom keymap file).

Q: How do I bring up the OSD during playback on the ATV2?
A: On the Apple Remote press and hold select.

Q: How do I install this addon/skin/repository?
A: Click here for a guide.

Q: How can i reset the AppleTV2 without unplugging?
A: If you're using an untethered jailbreak, hold "menu" and "down" buttons for 5 sec.
*OR*
SSH into your AppleTV (user: root and password alpine)
type: killall AppleTV (it's case sensitive!)
or for Windows use this script by danmedhurst

5. Problems

Q: Why is my ATV2 crashing?
A: These are the most common causes:
  • Are you watching an MKV file /w embedded subtitles? Disable them and retry the MKV.
  • Do you have Firecore Media Player installed? Try removing it and testing again.
  • Have you verified proper ownership of your settings? Try ssh'ing to your ATV2 as root, and running "chown -R mobile:mobile /User/Library/Preferences/XBMC".
  • Have you disabled updates? Try blocking them.
  • Are you using a skin other than Confluence? Check to see if you're running out of memory.

Q: Why is the dpkg command hanging/freezing when I'm upgrading XBMC?
A: It's a known issue with a workaround (CTRL+C should allow it to continue as well).

Q: Why doesn't XBMS work anymore?
A: It was removed due to licensing issues.

Q: Why is there no sound in the XBMC menu?
A: This is a known issue and will be fixed with the new audio engine (developed behind the scenes...).

Q: Is XBMC on ATV2 the same as on Windows/OSX/Linux?
A: Not exactly, it's still early days and some things are still broken (see above). But >80% of all the features are working.

Q: My time is wrong in XBMC, how can I change it?
A: There is a fix for that here.

Q: My videos are stuttering and buffering a lot when streaming from an SMB source
A: Try using a different protocol, i.e. UPnP or FTP, and avoid using Wi-Fi if possible. Also, if you're using a Time Capsule or Airport Extreme you'll likely have trouble with 720p+ content since they don't use Samba for SMB.

Q: What Video format fits best?
A: The iOS devices are able to play nearly everything in SD resolution like on other plattforms. When it comes to HD content (720p and up) only H.264 encoded videos can be hardware accelerated. HD videos with other codecs (xvid, divx and so on) will be decoded in software and will have stuttering issues because of lack of cpu power.

Q: Some of my AC3 files stutter or have static noise
A: AC3 Audio can stutter and pause video. Generating thumbnails may be the cause, go to XBMC > Settings > Video > File and deselect 'generate thumbnails'. Audio output could also be the culprit, go to Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and set it to "16 bit".

Q: Settings are not saved, updates don't work, clone settings from any XBMC to ATV2
A: Fix the permissions of the data folder by doing the following in ssh:
Code:
chown -R mobile:mobile /User/Library/Preferences/XBMC/

Q: Why have the TV and/or Movies items disappeared from the ATV2 menu?
A: Your location is probably set to a country that doesn't support the service, e.g. Canadians can't rent TV so that menu item isn't displayed. See atv2 > Settings > General > iTunes Store > Location.

Q: My question/problem isn't listed, now what?
A: First use the search if you can't find an answer then make a new post.
Please describe the problem as much as possible. See here for a guide on how to post about your problem. Be sure to include an xbmc.log.

Many Thanks to Senaxx for creating the original FAQ thread
Workarounds / Guides

1. HOWTO fix music playback on 10.0-9 (last repo release)
Music playback is not working through the default player (paplayer) on version 10.0-9. To fix this the default music player must be switched to DVDPlayer. See this guide for instructions:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=825...tcount=294

More suggestions for this section are welcome.

------ Reserved ------
To reiterate: This thread is NOT for troubleshooting!

Please do not post here regarding discussion of problems that you are experiancing with installation, or any other issue. If you are having problems with XBMC for iOS then please:
  1. Search the forum to see if your issue has already been discussed and resolved
  2. If it has been discussed but your question not answered by the posts already in the thread, then add another post to that thread to ask your question
  3. If it has not been discussed before then start a new topic. Be sure to give as much information as possible (see this guide for how to post about a problem)

The thread is left open for the following purposes:
  • Suggesting FAQs. Remember, FAQ stands for "Frequently Asked Questions". There should already be answers for these questions out there. Please supply FAQ suggestions with an answer, and ideally a link to any thread discussing the problem for reference.
  • Suggesting Workarounds/Guides which you feel would be useful to XBMC for iOS users. If possible, please try and supply a link to the guide if it is already written. You may want to write a guide within this thread. If so, please do!
  • Corrections to any of the points above that are wrong or out-dated.
Question 
Where could I find the official and unofficial built date, I just want to make sure I am using the latest versions, is it possible to update the first page with lastest release date?
arash53 Wrote:Where could I find the official and unofficial built date, I just want to make sure I am using the latest versions, is it possible to update the first page with lastest release date?

If you want to know what version you are currently using you can find the version and build date under system info. In the Confluence skin you can find this by scrolling to "system" on the main menu and selecting "system info" from the sub-menu that appears.

If you want to know the date of the last official build its written in a small font directly under the "Installing the XBMC Repo version" heading in the first post.

Nightly builds are built nightly (obviously!), you can find the list of nightly builds here: [ATV2] [iPad/iPhone/iPod touch]
The most recent build is at the top of the list

I will adjust the 1st post to include this info
Hello All,

I'd like to respectfully ask if, for the nightly builds, its possible to see a changelog? Or if thats not feasable let me know.

thanks!
fraunhofer Wrote:I'd like to respectfully ask if, for the nightly builds, its possible to see a changelog? Or if thats not feasable let me know.

The changelog that we're using for the nightly builds is the commit list on the XBMC Github page:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits

As the new nightly builds are so frequent it is not practical to keep a changelog separate from the commit list. If you want to look out for iOS-specific changes in the commit list then look out for the entries prefixed with "[ios]". Also, look out for commits made by devs who are particularly active on this platform (e.g. Davilla, Memphiz).

[no changes to first post - commits list link was already in place]
operating system: Darwin 11.0.0
Xbmc Pre-11.0 : GIT: 20110623-26171b3 ( compiled: jun 23rd,2011 )
ios:4.3 (8f455)
ATV2:4.3
I have being trying to ssh the new nightly build but with no luck.I followed all the instruction but still no go. Any help will be appreciated.I can get espn3 to work on the stable versionHuh
If I helped you please add to my reputation a positive note
adioukrou.
adioukrou Wrote:operating system: Darwin 11.0.0
Xbmc Pre-11.0 : GIT: 20110623-26171b3 ( compiled: jun 23rd,2011 )
ios:4.3 (8f455)
ATV2:4.3
I have being trying to ssh the new nightly build but with no luck.I followed all the instruction but still no go. Any help will be appreciated.I can get espn3 to work on the stable versionHuh

As mentioned several times above, this thread is not for troubleshooting. Please discuss all troubleshooting in the main body of the XBMC for iOS forum.

procrastinator Wrote: To reiterate: This thread is NOT for troubleshooting!

Please do not post here regarding discussion of problems that you are experiancing with installation, or any other issue. If you are having problems with XBMC for iOS then please:
  1. Search the forum to see if your issue has already been discussed and resolved
  2. If it has been discussed but your question not answered by the posts already in the thread, then add another post to that thread to ask your question
  3. If it has not been discussed before then start a new topic. Be sure to give as much information as possible (see this guide for how to post about a problem)

The thread is left open for the following purposes:
  • Suggesting FAQs. Remember, FAQ stands for "Frequently Asked Questions". There should already be answers for these questions out there. Please supply FAQ suggestions with an answer, and ideally a link to any thread discussing the problem for reference.
  • Suggesting Workarounds/Guides which you feel would be useful to XBMC for iOS users. If possible, please try and supply a link to the guide if it is already written. You may want to write a guide within this thread. If so, please do!
  • Corrections to any of the points above that are wrong or out-dated.
Future troubleshooting posts should just be deleted without warning... people will get the hint.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
If I helped you please add to my reputation a positive note
adioukrou.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV/iOS] Installation/FAQ0