Low audio during video playback...
Question 
I recently noticed that when playing back a some video files with XMBC the audio is VERY low. When I use Media Player Classic or VLC as a reference I would guess that XMBC is about 50-75% lower. For example using MPC or VLC I can set the TV volume at 15 of 100 and hear things fine, while with XBMC I need to push the TV volume past 75 of 100 most of the time.

I'm using XMBC 10.1 (with a fresh reinstall this evening) and the XBMC volume is all the way up. I've got DVI to HDMI video (no native HDMI on my vid card at the moment) and stereo sound running directly to the TV.

I've searched around for a few days in the forums but haven't been able to come up with any way to resolve this issue. If anyone has suggestions or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
have you do these- xbmc>system>settings>system>audio output>enable "boost volume on downmix".
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Yes i tried that setting on and off. Either way the output sounded the same.
There's a bug with playing some videos that have 5.1 sound through a stereo system. The conversion of 5.1 sound to 2.0 results in a very low volume for voices. The setting mentioned by bluray is supposed to help with this (though usually doesn't). So far no-one has got to the bottom of the problem.

Does this sound like your problem, or is all sound low? An obvious comment, have you checked the XBMC volume (press + on the keyboard).

JR
Given the file types that could be the problem. Are there any known work arounds for a temp fix, aside from re-encoding the videos? I stopped using Window Media Center for similar but unrelated audio issues due to their poor codecs.

I have the XMBC volume up all the way at 100%.
nic2032 Wrote:Given the file types that could be the problem. Are there any known work arounds for a temp fix, aside from re-encoding the videos?
i don't think that there is anything wrong with your files.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I don't think anyone has come up with a good quick fix.

There is work in progress on the audio playback, but this is still a long way from appearing in production code.

JR
You can alter the amount of gain applied when mixed-down via advancedsettings.xml - worth a shot? (assuming it's still valid)
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...ttings.xml

<audio>
<!-- Amount of gain (dB) to be applied to AC3 streams that have been mixed-down to 2 channels. Default is 12.0. Valid values are: -96.0 to 96.0. -->
<ac3downmixgain>24.0</ac3downmixgain>
</audio>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Low audio during video playback...0