Sonos playbar + Sonos SUB + x2 Play3 - How to get 5.1 channel sound
Hello

So i have a problem, or i will i have a problem i suppose.

I made an order last night of the items in the title, its got WAF so i can have it in the living room. I recently bought a new TV too. A un55f8000/ue55f8005.

So how do i get a real surround sound out of this setup?

Because, i now read that are some problems with the sonos playbar, dts, and that most TVs dont do 5.1 over optical if the input is HDMI.

I have a mac mini (running windows) connected to the TV using HDMI.
Now the playbar will be connected trough an optical cable to the TV.

Most files on my NAS is dts mkvs.

How do i get 5.1 sound? I guess i have to fiddle around with audio options in xbmc, but i just wonderd if anyone found any that worked. Also since most TVs (panasonic vt50 for example) wont support 5.1 over optical if the input is hdmi (my input is hdmi - mac mini). Will i loose 5.1 all together?

I cant find out if the un55f8000/uef8005 supports 5.1 over optical if input is HDMI.

Sorry for all the questions, i really just want this to work when i get it
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
The only way is to connect the optical out of the mac mini direct to the sound, but are you sure that speaker setup is able to do 5.1 anyway?
Ok I've up a bit more and it seems the speaker setup is indeed proper 5.1 but it's not exactly clear what formats, it seems to be Dolby Digital AC3 only.
Yes thats the problem, it doesnt support DTS encoding, there is only one optical port and that needs to go to the TV.

However my TV does support 5.1 over optical as long as the source is DD. So is there a way for xbmc to transcode dts to ac3/dd 5.1 on the fly?
TV: UE55F8005
XBMC: Mac mini 2012 with windows 8.1
SOUND: Sonos playbar + Sonos Sub + 2x Rear Play: 3
Yes, disable all the capable receiver items in audio settings apart from Dolby Digital (AC3)
(2013-10-17, 13:49)jjd-uk Wrote: Yes, disable all the capable receiver items in audio settings apart from Dolby Digital (AC3)

I have exactly the same Problem, like henrikyo, nice to hear that this works.
So Xbmc makes a DTS 5.1 to an AC3 5.1 or to an AC3 2.0?
XBMC will transcode DTS 5.1 to AC3 5.1.

Speaker configuration needs to be 2.0 as this is all SPDIF supports, note this is the number of uncompressed audio channels (PCM channels) SPDIF supports, so will still get AC3 5.1 as this is an compressed format (encoded) that fits inside the uncompressed bandwidth for SPDIF.
Works great, thanks jjd-uk -
Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem. Setup includes a Sonos Playbar + 2 Play Ones. I'm running Frodo 12.2 on a Mac Mini with optical out directly plugged into the Sonos playbar. I've also setup the audio configuration to 2.0 under the system settings as mentioned above.

The problem is: when I play any movies encoded in DTS 5.1, the audio on the surrounds (Play Ones) comes and goes and clearly doesn't sound right. I tried going back to version 12.0 but got the same result.

Anyone got any suggestions? For those that got working - what version of Frodo are you using?
I tried the same setup using Plex and there it seems to work fine - without the drop-outs. But I would like to use XBMC if possible.

Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sonos playbar + Sonos SUB + x2 Play3 - How to get 5.1 channel sound0