Gaming HTPC build
Since I don't currently own a gaming console and like the idea of having everything integrated, I am exploring the idea of spending some extra money on an htpc build with 1080p gaming capabilities. Not being very hardware-savvy, but learning, I will ultimately have a friend help me build my baby. I've already spent time researching all of this and am exhausted to the point where I could really use some help :o. Cost is not a huge factor but I would prefer not to be on the "bleeding edge" of technology if I don't need to.

Side Note: I already have a max 12tb NAS specced out that will compliment the HTPC. I also got a great deal on a Crucial M4 128GB SSD recently so that will definitely be going in my HTPC along with one HDD most likely.

Requirements:
-All the bells and whistles you could possibly want your HTPC to have for media playback including 3d capability, best audio.

-I primarily want to be able to play games that have xbox360 controller support, titles like Fifa, NBA 2k for sure, and depending how doable it is maybe games like crysis 2, starcraft 2 and eventually diablo 3 in 1080p.

My main concerns are:
-Htpc style case since I want it to fit in my entertainment center and look decent. Silverstone Grandia Style ie: GD05B or Lascala LC13B-E perhaps?
-Noise and temps. (I am mostly concerned with noise during movies, and although I'd prefer super quiet all the time, I wouldn't mind a loud fan while gaming.) Also, my entertainment center is damn near airtight but I can modify the cardboard on the back of my it to allow for more ventilation if necessary.
-I realize water cooling is an option, but is it absolutely necessary? And a huge pain in the ass? Nothing is off the table though.

Any help would be appreciated. I realize some of this might not be the most cost-effective, but given my living situation and the fact that I entertain a lot, it would be optimal.

If I do end up building this gaming HTPC I will make a thread with my build as repayment to the community for any help.
and whats you budget?
and are you from the USA? (for prices)
you have set your mind on a specific CPU? GPU?

for gaming, the i3-2105 should suit your needs!

its in the GPU department that im not sure,
you need something quiet for HTPC use,
but strong enough for gaming,,,

maybe something like a FanLess HD6670....
you could start with these here:

INTEL
[CPU] Intel Core I3-2105 Dual-Core 3.1GHz LGA-1155 65W ($135 + $0)
[MOBO] GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2-B3 LGA-1155 μATX ($70 + $3)
[GPU] SAPPHIRE Ultimate HD6670 1GB DDR5 128-bit Fanless ($105 + $7 - $15MIR)
[RAM] Kingston HyperX 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333 CL7 ($38 + $0)
[CASE] SILVERSTONE GD04B μATX ($80 + $0)
[PSU] Corsair Builder Series 430W ATX12V ($45 + $0 - $10MIR)
TOTAL: ($458)

Now, if you want,
might aswell pick up a 3rd party CPU Cooler to replace your stock one,,,
I've narrowed 2 possibilities..
#1 Scythe SCMG-3000 120mm ($50 + $0)
#2 ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm ($56 + $0 - $10MIR)
However, we need to make sure they fit in your case
and that they'll also wont get in the way of your optical Drive if u ever need one,,,,

~hope this helps~
wow - this looks great! i whish i had a machine like this. with my old pc it is better to play browser games like battlestar galactica online or castle empire, for they don't require many ressources.
For shooters like Crysis 2 or maybe the upcoming BF3 you will definitly need much more power to be able to play it at 1080p with high details, not even talking about max details...

these games are real hardware killers. so it all heavily depends on what games you really want to play and things like if it's ok for you turning details and graphics down to get em running smoothly or if you are one of those gamers who only accept high/max details ...

i doubt you will get much more than 30fps in crysis 2 with a HD6670 @1080p.

dont get me wrong, the HD6670 is a really nice graphics card and a good recommendation from eskro especially when you are looking at value/money ratio. but it's still just a mid range card and for crysis 2 and games like that you will need a high end card...
Only have phone so pardon brevity.

~650 without hd. US.

Sb i3 or i5.

Looked at 560ti and 6950 so far but not sure about either. Main concerns are noise when watching movies and temps when gaming.
Like QLink said,
are you ok with turning details and graphics down to get em running smoothly
or you only accept high/max details??
Ideally I'd be able to max settings on my 1080p 55 inch tv. If that's going to break the bank to have that capability on games like crysis 2, I'd take smooth 1080p with lower detail on these more demanding games. Ultimately this is an investment so future proofing for diablo 3 and the potential resale value of any components are also important considerations.
I'm going to pitch in to say that having a powerful machine in a small box usually means compromising on noise. However, if you're willing to get a bit creative, you can make it bearable.

The case eskro suggested can fit 3 large 120mm fans (pictures) which you can use to create a strong airflow through the case. I suggest two intakes on the motherboard side, with filters to prevent dust build up, and one outtake on the PSU side. I do not suggest that you use any small fans above the m/board, as this will interfere with the ariflow and add noise without much benefit.

With this, you can get yourself some large 3rd party heatsinks on the CPU and GPU (and chipset if necessary). The Scythe that eskro linked is a good choice, but I would go for the next model up, the Scythe Ninja v3 (make sure it fits first!)

For the GPU, watercooling is becoming more popular, which means that large 3rd party heatsinks are becoming harder to find. The only one that catches my eye on newegg is the AC Accelero. However, this is quite an old design, and may not support the graphics card you finally choose. I suggest you search around component shops to see what you can find. (I'm not from the US, so I don't know which shops are good.) But I do think that you should try running your chosen card without any modifications first, to see if a 3rd party cooler is required. Card manufacturers have woken up to the desires for low noise systems, so a lot of modern cards are pretty quiet.

With these in place, and a large slow fan on each, you should have low temps and noise.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Just note that the Scythe Ninja 3's Heatsink Dimensions are 120 x 120 x 160mm
and the Scythe SCMG-3000's Heatsink Dimensions are 130 x 108 x 158 mm
meaning, like i already said, we need to make sure one of these fit in your case
and that it wont get in the way of your optical Drive if u ever need one,,,,

for the gaming part,
if your looking to play crysis 2 at 1080P 60FPS MAX Details,
i just dont know which card would suit you best....
im not a gamer,,,,
Anyone?

thx
Just found the case's actual dimensions, it is 150mm high. With mounting and the actual CPU, I'd say the maximum cooler height is 125mm. Unfortunately this rules out most of the big chunky heatsinks you need for low noise operation. You might be able to fit in the Scythe Rasetsu, but I wouldn't like to say for sure without having the case and a tape measure.

If you're willing to experiment, you could probably attach a watercooling radiator to the outside of the case without too much hassle. I recommend doing plenty of research before deciding to go down this road, especially as you're not an experienced system builder.

Sorry, I can't give much assistance on selecting actual components; I've not built a gaming rig for a couple of years, and the tech moves so quickly.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
GPU,
In my desktop I have the HD 6950 MSI twin frozer 3. Running High intensity games on max the fans kick in to keep it cool. Regular everyday stuff the card can do at idle thus low fan speeds ie low noise.
I am guessing 1080p on a large TV is not going to work this card very hard at all since such comparatively lower level cards run XBMC just fine.
Thus, my point is: A high end card like this should be relatively quiet during movies.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
i guess this is your card then
Gigabyte HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 256-Bit
Only $704.17
Rofl
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
outatouch0 Wrote:Rofl

Rofl