Linux frontend - Windows Backend ??
Hey Guys,

I'm forced to now use Windows on my TV backend server, so it appears I have two backend options - ForTheRecord (already installed, looks good) or Mediaportal TV Server.

Is there a PVR client in any of the XBMC Linux builds that will support connecting to a Windows TV backend ?

I'd like to keep Linux on all my XBMC clients and not have to switch to Windows on them too..

Any suggestions?
I use Mediaportal backend on Windows 7, and one of my xbmc clients is an Ubuntu linux box, i used info from this thread to install the xbmc client : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92315

I.e

sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install xbmc
Brilliant, can I ask how you find the MediaPortal backend ?
Is it stable? Whats the channel switching speed like ?

Do you know if ForTheRecord is supported under Linux too ? - that would be my favourite choice from what I have seen of the Windows backends.
sorry for bumping an old thread.

What are channel changes speeds like for mediaportal? I'm planning to build a sever for storing all my media as well as using it as my pvr. I'm using tvheadend at the moment and it works great but am debating whether to use windows as the OS for the new server as I'd get more use out of that pc if i did.
Channel switching speeds for MediaPortal depend on several things like:
  1. MediaPortal FFmpeg or MediaPortal TSReader addon
  2. FTA channels or encrypted channels
  3. Switching within 1 transport stream (faster) or across transport streams
  4. Single seat or multi seat (client-server) setup
Rough indications from my systems:
The MediaPortal FFmpeg addon takes 5-10 sec for a channel switch (really slow). The TSReader addon has on a single seat setup similar or even better switching speeds than MediaPortal itself. In my case it is between 1 and 3 sec for FTA DVB-T and 2-5 sec for encrypted DVB-C.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux frontend - Windows Backend ??0