[AppleTV2] Buffering w/Time Capsule - Help a Newbie Please
Question 
Hi all,

I'm new to all this XBMC and I've googled the issue and read a lot of threads here with the same buffering issue. I'm quite technical but some of the stuff I read I don't quite understand.

My ATV2 is on 4.2.2, and is of course Jailbroken running the latest XBMC through SMB set up on my Time Capsule (1TB 1st gen). I didn't used to have any issues playing streamed movies but for the past couple of months, it struggles to cope and buffers. For some reason, after 9pm it gets worse. My network is secure and no-one else uses the internet.

The solutions I've read here state to higher the buffer rate. I've created a advancedsettings.xml in my userdata folder as recommended here but still no luck. It was the same as before.

Before, I could play files up to about 3GB no problem. Now I'm having issues playing smaller 700MB files. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it.

Please could someone explain how I go about resolving this? If you link me to other threads, please make them newbie friendly or just explain in the best possible way.

I know this is a duplicate of other issues, but as I said, I don't quite understand some of the technical settings etc, or how I go about applying the settings to the ATV2.

Thanks so much,
-Lisa
Sounds like you are having wifi interference. I think TC/APE have some kind of "robust" option that might improve your connection via the AirPort Utility. You could also try the 5ghz network option if your TC supports it (depends how old it is).

You can also try running an internet speed test on a computer connected to the TC via wifi. Run it after 9pm when you notice problems and compare it to results during the day. That might give us a hint on if this really is a wifi problem or not.
Thanks for the reply. Smile

I'm on 50MB cable broadband and speed does seem to dip during the times I've noticed the buffering. I moved from DSL to cable as I'd get drop outs completely. However, that was to do with the poor line. On cable I get around 38-47MB in the times in the day I've tested. Just tried again (19:15pm) and it's considerably slower at 28MB. So I guess it probably is interference then?

As for the Time Capsule settings, I've had a look through them and my Wireless mode was set on B/G/N so I've changed it to the N only 5ghz as suggested. My Time Capsule is the very 1st generation one in 1TB and they seem to have moved on since then. Maybe it might be worthwhile upgrading to the newer ones. They claim to have more coverage (or maybe that's just good sales skills).

I also forgot to mention I also have an old Airport Express in the same room as the TC on the opposite side. It's set to extend the network but primarily for streaming music. Maybe worthwhile relocating it near the ATV2?

Hopefully what I've done fixes the issues, thanks again. I'll report back soon.

-Lisa
It's sounds like you are going in the right direction but it would be good to eliminate the network completely. The 802.11 network that is. Can you run wired to test this out and verify that it is due to the wifi network and not just some other issue with XBMC, SMB or other?
AmazonFirex4/iPhone6s/iPad2/NSS326
Kodi - be brave and help - update w/nightly builds

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Buffering w/Time Capsule - Help a Newbie Please0