Replacing Zotac HD-AD01
Hi, I've got the above running Ubuntu 11 and XBMC, connected via HDMI and all is well. Except that running flash content in firefox is really bad, like maybe 5 frames per second on youtube tops.

Hence thinking of options, on a budget sadly. Is the Apple TV2 an option? Needs to have a proper browser with flash and XBMC, that's it really Smile

Thanks for any and all advice on this one, media is something I know very little about.
Please assist me with this! My questions are, whether the Apple TV2 can run vanilla linux and firefox and youtube fullscreen) or whether I should be looking at some other platform, perhaps a newer Zotac box.

Many thanks indeed!
if you are looking at flash, forget about the ATV1, the ATV2 and any Atom/ION or Amd llano systems, anything with a low power cpu actually.

You'll have to look at a "proper" system with some kind of AMD Athlon x2, Intel G620 and upwards.
You might have to wait until someone using the AppleTV comes along otherwise it's pure speculation. In general, smaller units built for a pricepoint do not result in "performance" machines.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
Many thanks for the replies!

After much fiddling it seems that the ATI proprietry driver under Ubuntu 11 isn't properly compatible with this box. After removing that driver YouTube plays full-screen acceptably, at about 80% CPU.

Still keen to hear any comments on the TV2 though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Replacing Zotac HD-AD010