Movie sets not working for smart playlists?
bump
Still don't get it why they changed it. You could've taken out the whole movie set feature as well.
Please put it back in.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I have all my home menus customized with custom categories, losts of playlist for films (Criterion Collection sets, documentaries, short animations, etc.), customized skins views... lots of work. I was even going to ask for improvements in movie sets (better infolabels, support for saving moreinformation about the movie sets, etc).
Now I have reverted my pre-eden nightly to Aug-24 and probably will stay there, this feature is capital for me.

Probably they just don't have enough feedback from us about the usage level of this feature, or may be the proportion of us using this is not significative enough to evolve the feature.
barramundi Wrote:Now I have reverted my pre-eden nightly to Aug-24 and probably will stay there, this feature is capital for me.

thx for the hint!
I hope this feature will reimplented in the nearest future Smile
barramundi Wrote:Probably they just don't have enough feedback from us about the usage level of this feature, or may be the proportion of us using this is not significative enough to evolve the feature.

The problem with the movie set feature, as a whole, was that there isn't any GUI options for it - besides setting thumb. Once there's an easy, in-built method of creating, modifying and managing movie sets I think the feature will become more popular.

As it stands now though, having to insert tags into nfo files just isn't very user friendly and won't be used by most of the userbase.

Now on topic, I actually didn't like how movie sets were incorporated smart playlists and I'm actually glad they were removed. Having all of the movies in a set at the beginning of a playlist when maybe only 1 movie actually fit the playlist's rules was a huge problem. The negatives far out weighed the benefits of having them included IMO.
@Sranshaft
Maybe for your situation it's great but for others it's absolutely not. I use the smartlist to seperate different types of movies: regular / animations / stand-up comedy using the path begins with option. This way i've lost the whole point of the sets. Now those playlists are huge because some comedians have like 10 dvds which now al show instead of a set.
It had been better if they had fixed the rule instead of removing the whole movie set option.
Sranshaft Wrote:The problem with the movie set feature, as a whole, was that there isn't any GUI options for it - besides setting thumb. Once there's an easy, in-built method of creating, modifying and managing movie sets I think the feature will become more popular.

As it stands now though, having to insert tags into nfo files just isn't very user friendly and won't be used by most of the userbase.

Hi Sranshaft. You can use XWMM interface to manage movie sets, if you don't want to deal with .nfo files. Read more here

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33873/con...ovie-sets/

Movie sets management is also supported by some of the movie managers availables in 'Supplemental Tools' section, so it's not that hard to manage them. Laugh

I am exactly in the same situation as Machine-Sanctum.
I wish i could code c++ and provide a patch for that ticket.
barramundi Wrote:Hi Sranshaft. You can use XWMM interface to manage movie sets, if you don't want to deal with .nfo files. Read more here

Movie sets management is also supported by some of the movie managers availables in 'Supplemental Tools' section, so it's not that hard to manage them. Laugh

Yes but the problem is that are all external tools and we already know them. The problem is that it can't be managed from within XBMC itself.
So as long that's not available in xbmc only a small portion of user (who use these tools or NFO) can benefit from sets. So someone with the wright kind of knowledge needs to take this task uppon him for integrating the set management or convince one of the dev's Rolleyes

The same for using a NFO file as a source for set information.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64564
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=109256
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:@Sranshaft
Maybe for your situation it's great but for others it's absolutely not. I use the smartlist to seperate different types of movies: regular / animations / stand-up comedy using the path begins with option. This way i've lost the whole point of the sets. Now those playlists are huge because some comedians have like 10 dvds which now al show instead of a set.
It had been better if they had fixed the rule instead of removing the whole movie set option.

I have the same situation. I separate my stand-up from movies.

I don't use complex playlists, I just don't wanna see 15 entries for George Carlin when I can have 1 for the complete set.

The change fubared my setup.
Death-Axe Wrote:Most are not using sets? back up your information before opening your "mouth". That aside:

I am using DH 10.1 at the moment, and I get the movies appearing in sets AND as individual movies. I would like JUST the sets.

Someone said you can't satisfy everyone. Of course you can. Add in some CHOICE (an option in the system menu or something) OR code in a rule into the smart playlists options.

Both sides get what they need. It doesn't need to be complicated, it's just a single setting. It doesn't have to get to an argument for either side either, as both are catered for.

It doesn't really matter if everyone are using sets or not. The simple fact is; that if you have sets, then smart playlists are BROKEN. And we don't want a broken product do we?
+1

And really, how does making it an option "over complicate" things? I always thought the goal of XBMC was to be complete, not simple.
Now they've put a hold on new features will the smartplaylist be fixed?
IMO and many others it's still broken and not a new feature...

Here's the tract ticket (should say bug instead of new feature):
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11949
barramundi Wrote:Hi Sranshaft. You can use XWMM interface to manage movie sets, if you don't want to deal with .nfo files. Read more here

I know all about XWMM and have used it in the past to help clean up some of my sets. I even created a program for myself that specifically deals with the creation and management of sets outside of XBMC because dealing with XWMM was an even bigger pain in the ass (I'll leave my opinions on web-based programs for another discussion).

The crux of my last post, and Machine-Sanctum touched on it as well, is until this feature is baked directly into XBMC and accessible directly from the GUI the vast majority of XBMC's users will not use it. People still don't fully utilize the smart playlist feature and that's been an integral part of XBMC from before i can remember; so you can imagine the small percentage of users that would use a feature so hidden such as sets.

Having to cater to what is essentially a very small minority, when compared to the entire XBMC userbase, is something I don't see devs really jumping at. I can fully understand why they removed sets from smartplaylist because of this. And to add an option into the settings will only lead to confusion for the rest of the userbase - a userbase that quite possibly might not even know it exists.
I think the vast majority isn't fully aware of other features of XBMC as well. I think it's (sorry to say) the lack of a step by step guide and and explanation how to use such features. We all know there's the wiki but it can be a pain browsing and searching through it and sometimes a bit to technical for layman's.
I intend to work together with the creater of this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111185
To extend the current contents and explain an easy how-to setup with examples.
To make people fully aware of the features this fantastic piece of Art contains.

Think something like "Use movie sets" is not that hard to understand as an option in smartplaylists. An option would be as you said for the small and usually more experienced user add it as an advancedsettings.xml option and set it default false. So the ones who would like to use sets just enable it that way. Everybody's happy Laugh
Can you imagine the amount of threads that'll open up by all of those people that see 'Use movie sets' and go "What the hell is a movie set?" If anything, I could possibly see this as an advancedsettings entry like you suggested.

Still, it's a case of who is going to code it and who is going to maintain that feature? Hopefully, after Eden drops the devs will have some free time to revisit the idea of movie sets in general and expand upon the feature. Spiff was the one that originally put it in so maybe if someone plied him with promises of treasure and women he'd think about it... Laugh
I don't understand why a so big backtracking ... movieset work in movies view, worked for movies in smartplaylists and now it doesn't work anymore ... I really don't understand ...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie sets not working for smart playlists?0