[QNAP USERS] Help me help us...
So, a request to all the QNAP / NFS / XBMC users out there.

If you have a QNAP and you've got NFS running successfully with XBMC, could you let me know your QNAP device type and firmware version. Then SSH into your QNAP and post me the output of
Code:
cat /etc/exports
please.

I just want to know if there's any differences between devices and firmwares in the implementation of NFS exports. As I'm sure you're aware, QNAP devices overwrite /etc/exports on reboot, basically removing the "insecure" option that XBMC needs to be able to access your media.

I want to write up a wiki guide to get around this for us QNAP users, so the more info I can get, the more reliable the guide will be.

Thanks for your help.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Qnap 219p
Fireware version 3.5.0

"/share/NFS" *(no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,fsid=0)
"/share/HDA_DATA/share/HDA_DATA/A" 192.168.0.16(ro,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/A" 192.168.0.16(ro,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Public" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/Public" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Qdownload" 192.168.0.16(rw,all_squash,insecure,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/Qdownload" 192.168.0.16(rw,all_squash,insecure,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Qmultimedia" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/Qmultimedia" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Qrecordings" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/Qrecordings" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
"/share/HDA_DATA/Qweb" *(rw,async,no_root_squash)*
"/share/NFS/Qweb" *(rw,nohide,async,no_root_squash)
Kurdsson Wrote:Qnap 219p
Fireware version 3.5.0

Looks pretty standard so far. Firmware build 0816 ?

Thanks Kurdsson.

Cranial Wrote:Looks pretty standard so far. Firmware build 0816 ?

Thanks Kurdsson.

0816T

I dont get it whay it is so meny problem too Apple tv too work (nfs,smb) whid qnap. I have tvix n1 and i havent se any problem like that..
Kurdsson Wrote:0816T

I dont get it whay it is so meny problem too Apple tv too work (nfs,smb) whid qnap. I have tvix n1 and i havent se any problem like that..

XBMC on the Apple TV runs as user "mobile". I'm not sure how the TVIX works, but you just have to make sure your permissions are correct.

But this thread is just for me to gather info. Could you jump on the other thread you started and I'll try to assist you with your problems there. I think I asked for more info regarding your QNAP Transmission setup?

Cranial Wrote:So, a request to all the QNAP / NFS / XBMC users out there.

If you have a QNAP and you've got NFS running successfully with XBMC, could you let me know your QNAP device type and firmware version. Then SSH into your QNAP and post me the output of
Code:
cat /etc/exports
please.

I just want to know if there's any differences between devices and firmwares in the implementation of NFS exports. As I'm sure you're aware, QNAP devices overwrite /etc/exports on reboot, basically removing the "insecure" option that XBMC needs to be able to access your media.

I want to write up a wiki guide to get around this for us QNAP users, so the more info I can get, the more reliable the guide will be.

Thanks for your help.
That's brilliant...if you write up a wiki guide to setting up a QNAP device for NFS, I can put it into the general NFS wiki article (to which I recently did a bunch of edits, cleaned up and so on). Maybe if we get a bunch of people with differently branded NAS devices to write up guides, we could get a bit of a library going to give people a hand. I might eventually be able to put something together for Synology NAS's (a bit busy at the moment tho), but I know nothing of how QNAP's work.

Let me know if/when you complete your proposed guide, via PM?
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
canadave Wrote:That's brilliant...if you write up a wiki guide to setting up a QNAP device for NFS, I can put it into the general NFS wiki article (to which I recently did a bunch of edits, cleaned up and so on). Maybe if we get a bunch of people with differently branded NAS devices to write up guides, we could get a bit of a library going to give people a hand. I might eventually be able to put something together for Synology NAS's (a bit busy at the moment tho), but I know nothing of how QNAP's work.

Let me know if/when you complete your proposed guide, via PM?

I'll definitely let you know when I'm done. May be a little bit though, I'm always busy, and I need to figure out the best way get around the boot overwrite problem of /etc/exports . But I'll get it done.

Cranial Wrote:I'll definitely let you know when I'm done. May be a little bit though, I'm always busy, and I need to figure out the best way get around the boot overwrite problem of /etc/exports . But I'll get it done.

why don't you use the nfssettings approach i pointed out on another thread? Doesn't it work for maintaining the settings?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:why don't you use the nfssettings approach i pointed out on another thread? Doesn't it work for maintaining the settings?

It does work (both of the options given in that thread), but not sure if it'll survive a firmware update? I'll have to check that. If it doesn't survive a firmware update I'll look more into a startup script.

Just need to make it simple in the Wiki for most users to follow.

It might be smart to encourage users to create a NAS user with the username mobile.

jason
hyerstay Wrote:It might be smart to encourage users to create a NAS user with the username mobile.

jason

Well its not the name that is important. Its the user id. So for giving a more generic "smart" tip. It would be good to create a user with the id 501 on the NAS. (because thats the id of user mobile on ios/atv2).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
hyerstay Wrote:It might be smart to encourage users to create a NAS user with the username mobile.

jason

Doesn't work. The ATV2/XBMC doesn't run with admin privileges which is what the QNAP requires for NFS access.

But I may have spotted some commits recently with AFP mentioned..... If that's the case this could become somewhat redundant for most users Wink

Cranial Wrote:Doesn't work. The ATV2/XBMC doesn't run with admin privileges which is what the QNAP requires for NFS access.

But I may have spotted some commits recently with AFP mentioned..... If that's the case this could become somewhat redundant for most users Wink

i think you missunderstood that. Of course one can add a user with the same id 501 on the nas and then get rid of all the squash options. But hey - users are already crying that its much to complex to setup nfs ... so better keep it low...
Memphiz Wrote:i think you missunderstood that. Of course one can add a user with the same id 501 on the nas and then get rid of all the squash options. But hey - users are already crying that its much to complex to setup nfs ... so better keep it low...

I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work on the QNAP. I'll give it another go and see how it fares though, might have missed something in the steep learning process.

So did I misread the commits or is AFP on the agenda?

stop asking that :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[QNAP USERS] Help me help us...0