SD (interlaced PAL) gets different post-processing for mpeg2 and h264
Hi,

I have ripped my TV series DVDs and and muxed them into one mkv per episode, without any transcoding, to achieve best possible integration into xbmc. Worked fine. Deinterlacing happens at playback time with field rate.

Recently, I started to trancscode them from mpeg2 to h264, still maintaining the original PAL resolution and interlacing. I still get deinterlacing at playback time with field rate, but some further post processing seems to be of lesser quality, because I notice more prominent stair artifacts in animated content.

Is the post processing chain configured different depending on the source codec?

There is a setting about "highqualityscaling" in advancedsettings.xml, which applies only to SD content. I thought "SD" would be defined as content which is below a certain resolution, but maybe it's defined depending on codec?
Ignore this question, it was my error.

I didn't notice that a few of the Futurama episodes from my german PAL DVDs where progressive and not interlaced. So encoding them all to interlaced h264 was wrong for those few episodes and my comparison was invalid.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SD (interlaced PAL) gets different post-processing for mpeg2 and h2640