Now Playing - On Secondary Display
I am building a media room and on the outside of the media room, I want to put a "Now Playing" display. Similiar to what you would see on the outside wall of a theater. However, I would like to use a digital display that will show only the fanart or coverart of the media being played. Maybe the synopsis, etc.

If this is already possible, I'm open to implementing additional hardware to accomplish this.

tunneling
tunneling Wrote:I am building a media room and on the outside of the media room, I want to put a "Now Playing" display. Similiar to what you would see on the outside wall of a theater. However, I would like to use a digital display that will show only the fanart or coverart of the media being played. Maybe the synopsis, etc.

If this is already possible, I'm open to implementing additional hardware to accomplish this.

tunneling

Hi I'm using a cheap android tablet that I only use for web server, and to show what's running on XBMC, it was very cheap has wireless and all you need is the XBMC remote software.

Regards tuxen
This would bee a great feature to have in the software though. If you have a HTPC with a 7" display (could be touchscreen). You could easily use it as the secondary display to show the time/weather, currently playing song/video/movie/tv show with artwork. That would be awesome, and maybe some simple controls like: Play, Pause, Stop that could be enabled if the display is touch screen capable?
Jep, it is called the remote Smile works great this way, everything is wireless (unless power) I have a 7" to I think.
It looks like this if you can make anything out from this crooked messy picture:

Regards tuxen
I was actually thinking about using a 32"ish display, turned 90 degrees into a portrait mode. Then framing it out, to make it look like a poster with lights around it or even buying a "now playing" frame and putting the display inside it.

I've never tried to do development for XBMC, but I think it would be pretty easy to just pull in the cover art for the now playing media and have it display full screen on a secondary display.

I have Constellation for my iPad, and Remote for my android phone. However, I am wanting to drive a larger display.

tunneling
tuxen Wrote:Jep, it is called the remote Smile works great this way, everything is wireless (unless power) I have a 7" to I think.
It looks like this if you can make anything out from this crooked messy picture:

Regards tuxen

I actually think that look would be acceptable. Just bigger Smile
I'm staying out off this odd expensive limited coolnes mod.
I was just trying to point out how much that is allready out there.

Regards tuxen.
tunneling Wrote:I was actually thinking about using a 32"ish display, turned 90 degrees into a portrait mode. Then framing it out, to make it look like a poster with lights around it or even buying a "now playing" frame and putting the display inside it.

I've never tried to do development for XBMC, but I think it would be pretty easy to just pull in the cover art for the now playing media and have it display full screen on a secondary display.

I have Constellation for my iPad, and Remote for my android phone. However, I am wanting to drive a larger display.

tunneling

I am planning to do the exact same thing.
It seems the only way to accomplish this would be to make use of the web interface but use a modified skin which only displays now playing information. Then use a firefox extension so that it starts in fullscreen.
Have you come across anything?
Im looking at the same idea as well. I have a 26" lcd laying around that would work pretty well. Any one make any progress?
I know its been a while since anyone other than me has posted to this thread. I couldnt find a suitable solution to what I wanted to do, so I took it upon myself to create my own.

I'll be using some sort of LCD tv mounted vertically on the wall. I actually have a 32" with a faulty power supply that I might repair for this purpose.
Here is a video of my prototype:

It connects to xbmc via a specified ip address and displays information about the currently playing media, including the MPAA rating, runtime, audio and video codecs, and resolution. It can either show the thumbnail stored in xbmc or download a high resolution poster from TMDB.com. When a movie is not playing it downloads and displays posters for upcoming movies from TMDB.com as well. Its still a work in progress and i have a few more features i want to add, but so far its working well.
Nice!
That's awesome - great work! Any chance you would release it? - am sure there are many that would love to use it (myself included)
Since I utilize a couple libraries that I haven't created myself, I'm not entirely sure what an appropriate license is for distributing it to the public. I'll need to read through the licenses of the 3rd party libraries I use first. In the meantime if you are interested in testing it out, send me a PM for a link to a development build.

captainkirk, you should have a pm already with details.
Could use a cheapo droid x with hdmi out running the xbmc android app. Done and done on the cheap.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
As a long term user of MediaPortal, I swapped to XBMC 1 week ago because of OpenELEC. My EeeBox boots, ready to use, in 20 seconds.... MUCH better than about 4-5 mins under Window$. Also being able to use a NAS for the SQL database and Fanart is a huge plus. This could be done in MePo - but only for a single user. It was not Client/Server based...

I always said the only thing wrong with MediaPortal was it ran on Windows....

Anyway, the only thing I haven't been able to do with XBMC that I could with MePo is a secondary information display.

MePo uses this plugin: http://www.mpdisplay2.de/index.php/en/

If something similar for XBMC could be developed, I think it would garner quite a lot of support.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Now Playing - On Secondary Display0