volume normalization
I am trying to find out if there is a plugin or some program I can use to change my audio settings depending on what I want at the time. Say I want movie mode where explosions are brought out more or news mode where voices are heard better or (what I am really looking for) a night mode. Something that dulls explosions or pretty much just makes the volume constant. At night I seem to have the remote in my hands always so I can lower the volume for action scenes or loud music in the movie but I have turn it up so I can hear dialog. Any suggestions to this problem (if I made any sense at all)?

I am on Windows 7 x64 using Dharma with logitech 5.1 coming out of a sound blaster Fatal1ty sound card.
I'm not aware of any plugin (doesn't mean it doesn't exist), but what you can try doing is raising the centre channel volume when you want night mode. Most voice comes through this. This is assuming your source is a 5.1 audio source (ac3, DTS, dolby digital).

If you are using 2 channel audio (mp3) and just replicating that out to your surrounds, then you don't have many options (you're looking at frequency manipulation to extract voice etc... i believe)
...DJVege...
HTPC: G840 + GT430 + 2GB RAM + 30GB SSD
Remote: iPad/iPhone + iRule + USB-UIRT // FireFly RF Remote
Software: XBMC Eden + Eventghost + Win7
All of my movies are 5.1 so that sounds like raising the center channel is what I need. I just wish there was an easier way to do it inside of xbmc. Thanks for the advice though
This is something I found on the wiki:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Videos

Go down to OSD Audio and Subtitle Settings. Dynamic Range Compression is something you could try. I've never tried it, but the explanation looks to try to address your issue.
...DJVege...
IIRC, unfortunately DRC was only available in earlier days for the xbox-builds, but maybe the new SoundEngine will change things.
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
Ah ok. Cheers Ubuntuf4n. I'm at work and just found it on the wiki, didn't check dharma at home.

Centre channel volume increase is your best bet for now then, unless someone else has a better idea.
...DJVege...
If you put XBMC in Analogue 5.1 mode you should be able to use any sound options supported by your sound card, if your logitech doesn't have volume controls on a per channels basis then your going to have to use analogue anyway to increase the centre channel volume as it wont be possible using passthrough
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
volume normalization0