XBMC Pre Eden freezes when a bluray is inserted
Hi
Whenever I insert a bluray in my bluray drive XBMC freezes and the drive gets very loud as if it's trying load something but it never stops. I have an ASRock ION 3D with Windows 7 Professional 32bit as the OS. Total Media Theatre 5 is the external player but I don't think that the external player is the issue here, because it plays bluray iso's fine. And I tried it without any external player setup but XBMC still froze.

It was working in Dharma and I used the same external player config files as I used in Dharma.

Any ideas?
Carb0 Wrote:Hi
Whenever I insert a bluray in my bluray drive XBMC freezes and the drive gets very loud as if it's trying load something but it never stops. I have an ASRock ION 3D with Windows 7 Professional 32bit as the OS. Total Media Theatre 5 is the external player but I don't think that the external player is the issue here, because it plays bluray iso's fine. And I tried it without any external player setup but XBMC still froze.

It was working in Dharma and I used the same external player config files as I used in Dharma.

Any ideas?
xbmc freeze because it's not designed to natively playback bluray. it can playback iso file because you created playercorefactory to use tmt5. have generate code for xbmc to use tmt5 to playback bd disc?

is your bd-rom driver up to date?
if your bd movie is encrypted, you might want to download anydvd hd so it decrypt bd movie in the background.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I know that XBMC doesn't play blurays natively. That's why I setup tmt5 to play the bluray discs. It was working fine in Dharma and still does. I installed pre eden in a different directory than dharma and use it in portable mode to test some of the new features.

I have copied the playercorefactory.xml from dharma to pre eden. But when I start XBMC and insert a bluray disc it freezes immediately. And when I insert a bluray disc when XBMC is closed and then start XBMC, it freezes at the XBMC logo. After 2-3 mins I'm able to select "Play Disc". TMT5 starts but doesn't play the bluray because it can't read it. I tried different blurays and I have always the same problem.

When I quit all programs, eject the disc and reinsert it and use dharma instead of pre eden everything is working fine again.

Here is the xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/vjwc0uWY

It seems XBMC tries to load the bluray as a dvd...

Here is my playercorefactory.xml:
http://pastebin.com/ZTinhsZt

I'm already using anydvd hd.
Carb0 Wrote:I know that XBMC doesn't play blurays natively. That's why I setup tmt5 to play the bluray discs. It was working fine in Dharma and still does. I installed pre eden in a different directory than dharma and use it in portable mode to test some of the new features.

I have copied the playercorefactory.xml from dharma to pre eden. But when I start XBMC and insert a bluray disc it freezes immediately. And when I insert a bluray disc when XBMC is closed and then start XBMC, it freezes at the XBMC logo. After 2-3 mins I'm able to select "Play Disc". TMT5 starts but doesn't play the bluray because it can't read it. I tried different blurays and I have always the same problem.

When I quit all programs, eject the disc and reinsert it and use dharma instead of pre eden everything is working fine again.

Here is the xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/vjwc0uWY

It seems XBMC tries to load the bluray as a dvd...

Here is my playercorefactory.xml:
http://pastebin.com/ZTinhsZt

I'm already using anydvd hd.
your htpc might need this ms package- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64).

pre-eden is very picky with video/audio settings. have you make sure that is setup as shown below:

configure pre-eden video and hd audio settings using these steps- pre-eden settings
I agree it looks as if the freeze is XBMC attempting to analyse the disk. Specifically I'd guess it's the code in https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...upport.cpp (I don't have a BluRay drive so I can't check this).

I note this code changed on June 26th and the commit note says: "use latest libcdio 0.83 git to support accessing bluray drives". This seems a likely candidate for the changed behaviour.

JR
I tried your tips bluray but XBMC still freezes.

The oldest build I was able to find is an unofficial XBMC nightly build: "XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110725-cce6614 (Compiled: Jul 26 2011)". I had the same problem but I'm not shure if the changes jhsrennie mentioned are already included in this build.
Carb0 Wrote:I tried your tips bluray but XBMC still freezes.

The oldest build I was able to find is an unofficial XBMC nightly build: "XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110725-cce6614 (Compiled: Jul 26 2011)". I had the same problem but I'm not shure if the changes jhsrennie mentioned are already included in this build.
the way i setup pre-eden on my three htpc's and others works flawless so far. here is how i did it- blu-ray in 1080p with dts-hd and truehd
Carb0 Wrote:The oldest build I was able to find is an unofficial XBMC nightly build: "XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110725-cce6614 (Compiled: Jul 26 2011)". I had the same problem but I'm not shure if the changes jhsrennie mentioned are already included in this build.

Since the change was made on June 26th I imagine it would be in the July 26 build.

I don't know what the best way forward is with this. I don't have a BluRay drive so I can't experiment with the code to see what's causing the delay (or even reproduce it). You could file a ticket on trac.xbmc.org with the details and hopefully some BluRay owning dev will pick it up.

JR
I'm having the same issue as the OP and was wondering if there is a known issue and/or a fix.
Cheers
TheFonz Wrote:I'm having the same issue as the OP and was wondering if there is a known issue and/or a fix.
Cheers
You might want to setup XBMC with external player to playback BD files instead. You still can enjoy the XBMC GUI with external player. You can use my guide from this thread- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup. Smile
bluray Wrote:...help...

Thanks bluray - I am using an external player xml, here is the code I am trying:
Just to be clear here is what is happening when I insert a Blu-Ray:
1. Nothing happens for 5-10 seconds (XBMC responding)
2. XBMC (Eden Beta) Stalls/Freezes for 5 or more minutes
3. The DVD Menu will finally come up and XBMC will respond to remote commands
4. Selecting Play Disc stalls/freezes XBMC once again - this time for up to 10 minutes.
5. The External Player will finially come up and the Blu-Ray is ready to be played.
6. Closing the External Player (in this case PowerDVD), returns to XBMC with no stalling/freezing.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="DVDPlayer" audio="true" video="true" />
<player name="DVDPlayer" />
<player name="PAPlayer" audio="true" />
<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="false">
<filename>C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PowerDVD Cinema\PowerDVDCinema10.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /play /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule name="Blu-Ray" protocols="bd" player="PowerDVD"/>
<rule filetypes="bdmv" filename=".*index*" player="PowerDVD"/>
<rule filetypes=".bdmv" filename=".*index.*" player="PowerDVD"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
I made the bat and xml files below for you. You can simply download it from the links below and place both files in \Roaming\XBMC\userdata folder.

PlayDisc (You'll need to change it to the correct BD-ROM drive on your HTPC. It's "E:" drive on mine.)

Playercorefactory (You'll need to change it to the correct Playdisc directory on your \Roaming\XBMC\userdata folder.)

The codes above will allow you to playback BD directly on BD-ROM with XBMC "Play Disc" option. Smile
bluray Wrote:I made the bat and xml files below for you. You can simply download it from the links below and place both files in \Roaming\XBMC\userdata folder.

PlayDisc (You'll need to change it to the correct BD-ROM drive on your HTPC. It's "E:" drive on mine.)

Playercorefactory (You'll need to change it to the correct Playdisc directory on your \Roaming\XBMC\userdata folder.)

The codes above will allow you to playback BD directly on BD-ROM with XBMC "Play Disc" option. Smile

I downloaded and placed these in the folders - XBMC is still stalling/freezing when I open XBMC with a Blu-Ray disc inserted or stalls when I insert a Blu-Ray disc. Any other ideas?
jhsrennie Wrote:Since the change was made on June 26th I imagine it would be in the July 26 build.

I don't know what the best way forward is with this. I don't have a BluRay drive so I can't experiment with the code to see what's causing the delay (or even reproduce it). You could file a ticket on trac.xbmc.org with the details and hopefully some BluRay owning dev will pick it up.

JR

You could try downloading an ISO from the net and mounting it in some virtual drive , it should exibit the same behaviour as a normal disk
TheFonz Wrote:I downloaded and placed these in the folders - XBMC is still stalling/freezing when I open XBMC with a Blu-Ray disc inserted or stalls when I insert a Blu-Ray disc. Any other ideas?

Did you change (C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\PlayDisc.bat) in Playercorefactory to the correct directory on your HTPC? Dell might not be the user on your HTPC.

Did you change ("C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD10\PowerDVD Cinema\PowerDVDCinema10.exe" E:) in PlayDisc to the correct directory on your HTPC? E: might not be your BD-ROM drive and make sure that PowerDVDCinem10 directory is correct too.

If your blu-ray disc is encrypted, you might want to install AnyDVD HD free trail version. It'll decrypt the blu-ray disc in the background. I don't have any delay when I used PlayDisc option in XBMC with these codes to playback blu-ray disc. PlayDisc option only available after you insert blu-ray disc in BD-ROM.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Pre Eden freezes when a bluray is inserted0