speeding up XBMC browsing by adding PC card gfx crd?
Hi, I am using a (so far) capable MSI netbook with XBMC at the moment and it does ok with video less 720 and smaller but the browsing isn't stellar. I have gone and converted everything to .dds which helped immensely but alittle more umf would be nice. I wanted to check, for now but especially for future versions of XBMC would doing something like adding a beefy PC Card/Graphics Card help? (help not only with video playback but also with browsing?). Any thoughts on this (not including "buy a new computer" [not helpful]).

Cheers,

-Gaiko
Generally, no, a better GPU won't help with XBMC interface speed. Any GPU made in the last three years can easily handle the XBMC interface. Plus you can't upgrade the GPU in a netbook.

What can significantly speed up the interface is trading in your netbook's HD for a SSD.

poofyhairguy Wrote:a better GPU won't help with XBMC interface speed

HEnce why i dont suggest placing $85+ 'beefier' GPU cards in HTPC's....
poofyhairguy Wrote:Generally, no, a better GPU won't help with XBMC interface speed. Any GPU made in the last three years can easily handle the XBMC interface. Plus you can't upgrade the GPU in a netbook.

What can significantly speed up the interface is trading in your netbook's HD for a SSD.

Actually I was thinking a PC Card GPU which are out there (used one on an old notebook, did wonders for gaming but hey). Anyway, its a mot point if a better GPU wouldn't help. But the thought about an SSD is interesting, thanks for that!
I'm thinking as well taht the SSD will help more than video. XBMC from what I understand is not accelerated at all by the GPU. The XBMC interface is probably bottlenecked in IO more than anything else.

I saw a huge increase in performance switching from a "slow" laptop drive on an Aton/ION to a SSD. That is until the OCZ drive failed. GO with a Corsair or Mushkin SSD if you're looking to spring for one. Or even try a USB stick with XBMC Live if you want. I bet you'll be surprised...
Intel SSD's are also rock solid and somewhat the reliability benchmark others are compared to.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
speeding up XBMC browsing by adding PC card gfx crd?0