NFS Setup Assistance with Synology NAS
johnm109r Wrote:Hey guys just a Question Which Synology Model are most ppl using on this forum ?

I'm using the DS210j, if you don't need massive amount of storage, it's a capable little box. I'd probably have something more powerful if I thought I needed it to handle multiple HD video streams.
I use a single bay DS110j and feel exactly the same way that mclog does about it... I actually bought two of them so that one can back up the other... Together they ended up being cheaper then a single DS210j and now i have a hot spare =)

I stream 720p all over the house (one TV is even WiFi only...) and can do 1080 just fine. All players use SMB with no issue at all. The Synoogy is also hosting my MySQL library and thumbs.
sig Smile
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
(2012-02-05, 20:05)mclog Wrote: What kind of read speeds are you getting? My NFS speeds are horrible with the Synology NAS, about a quarter of my FTP or WebDav.

Is there a simple way of measuring the speed between say my Boxee Box and the Synology NAS for SMB and NFS?

If the boxee has a file manager just copy over a file from a smb or nfs source and measure the time.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you Maetrik, You solved my issue as well...Logged on, and reset my forgotten password just to say thanks!
I finally got my Synology DS211j working with RaspBMC RaspBerry Pi.

Thanks a lot for the fix!
(2011-09-05, 04:02)barrmy Wrote: Memphiz, Canadave

Thanks, I was able to finally get it (the settings are slightly different and I was trying too hard)

So for others looking at this thread, here's a how-to
1. Login to your Synology GUI
2. Enable SSH (if not enabled already) Control Panel-->Terminal-->Enable SSH service
3. Enable NFS under Control Panel-->Win/MAC/NFS-->NFS Services-->Enable NFS
4. Under Control Panel-->Shared Folder, create a NFS Privileges entry for the folders you want to share
Hostname: either specific ip address of XBMC or *
Privlege: Read Only
Root Squash: No Mapping
5. Exit GUI, go to a terminal and SSH into your Synology
Code:
ssh root@<<SYNOLOGY IP ADDRESS>>
6. Type in cat /etc/exports to see if you get entries, mine were:
Code:
DiskStation> cat /etc/exports
/volume1/Movies *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
7. Edit using vi:
Type vi /etc/exports
[If you don't know vi, press INS[SERT], use arrows to go to the line to edit, and delete/edit the line. Then press ESC, and :x to 'save&exit']
8. change the entries to:
Code:
/volume1/Movies    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
9. Do cat /etc/exports to see if it took
10. Enter "exportfs -ra" into console
11. You can now Browse NFS and get to your subfolders in XBMC

I need some help. When i enter cat /etc/exports the first time i get a "permission denied" error. Any way to get past that? thanks a lot
(2013-02-05, 11:11)ggp759 Wrote: I need some help. When i enter cat /etc/exports the first time i get a "permission denied" error. Any way to get past that? thanks a lot

are you sure you logged in as *root* and not admin or another user?
(2013-02-05, 17:34)barrmy Wrote:
(2013-02-05, 11:11)ggp759 Wrote: I need some help. When i enter cat /etc/exports the first time i get a "permission denied" error. Any way to get past that? thanks a lot

are you sure you logged in as *root* and not admin or another user?

Hi am using putty for windows 7. I just select ssh and the ip of the synology. Is there a way to login as root?
PS: Thanks got it. thanks for the help.
Hi, I followed the instructions, but when I get to step 7, after I type in vi /etc/exports, I get a list, but my laptop doesn't have and INS key and I can't seem to edit the line with the insecure_locks line. Anyone know how I can edit it?

Thanks!

(2011-09-05, 04:02)barrmy Wrote: Memphiz, Canadave

Thanks, I was able to finally get it (the settings are slightly different and I was trying too hard)

So for others looking at this thread, here's a how-to
1. Login to your Synology GUI
2. Enable SSH (if not enabled already) Control Panel-->Terminal-->Enable SSH service
3. Enable NFS under Control Panel-->Win/MAC/NFS-->NFS Services-->Enable NFS
4. Under Control Panel-->Shared Folder, create a NFS Privileges entry for the folders you want to share
Hostname: either specific ip address of XBMC or *
Privlege: Read Only
Root Squash: No Mapping
5. Exit GUI, go to a terminal and SSH into your Synology
Code:
ssh root@<<SYNOLOGY IP ADDRESS>>
6. Type in cat /etc/exports to see if you get entries, mine were:
Code:
DiskStation> cat /etc/exports
/volume1/Movies *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure_locks,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
7. Edit using vi:
Type vi /etc/exports
[If you don't know vi, press INS[SERT], use arrows to go to the line to edit, and delete/edit the line. Then press ESC, and :x to 'save&exit']
8. change the entries to:
Code:
/volume1/Movies    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
/volume1/TV    *(ro,async,no_wdelay,no_root_squash,insecure,anonuid=0,anongid=0)
9. Do cat /etc/exports to see if it took
10. Enter "exportfs -ra" into console
11. You can now Browse NFS and get to your subfolders in XBMC
hit i
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
please help when i click on nfs in xbmc i see nothing it just reads then stays there i believe the error is the last step

when putting in "exportfs -ra"

i get >>>>>

-ash: exportfs -ra: not found

i also tried without the "" but i still get no response in xbmc
If someone could help me here I'd really appreciate it. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my Synology NAS to work with XBMC. I don't know anything about ssh and changing permissions, I'm used to just clicking the drive letter and being done with it. Anyways, when I'm told to go to a terminal and SSH into my NAS what I'm taking that to mean is go to run and then I type out ssh root@<<SYNOLOGY IP ADDRESS>> with my synology ip address of course, but when I do that I get "Windows cannot find SSH make sure you've typed it correctly".

I have googled and spent so much time trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do, if anyone could point me in the right direction and let me know what I'm doing wrong I'd really appreciate it.
For windows you will need an ssh client - "putty" for example.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFS Setup Assistance with Synology NAS2