Static sound with digital output
When I set my ATV2 to digital audio with 5.1 and check AC3 capable and/or DTS capable reciever all I get when playing movies is a high pitch static noise.

Is this a known issue and does anyone have a solution for this? Works great when unchecking AC3 and DTS but all I get then is stereo output.

I use nightly build: xbmc-20110903-c1d2bb6-master-atv2.deb
Muertin Wrote:When I set my ATV2 to digital audio with 5.1 and check AC3 capable and/or DTS capable reciever all I get when playing movies is a high pitch static noise.

Is this a known issue and does anyone have a solution for this? Works great when unchecking AC3 and DTS but all I get then is stereo output.

I use nightly build: xbmc-20110903-c1d2bb6-master-atv2.deb

Hey Muertin - go into your Apple TV 2's MAIN menu system settings, not XBMC's system settings, and look for the audio settings and set it to 16-bit.

I had the same issue, and this resolved it for me. Good luck!
EyeGod Wrote:Hey Muertin - go into your Apple TV 2's MAIN menu system settings, not XBMC's system settings, and look for the audio settings and set it to 16-bit.

I had the same issue, and this resolved it for me. Good luck!

This helped somewhat. It does not play the static sound all the time, I found however that it plays it for about 0,5s everytime i start a video and when i seek and the sound starts again after skipping. The thing is that it plays the static sound only through the HDMI although I have selected optical as output.

Any ideas?
Muertin Wrote:This helped somewhat. It does not play the static sound all the time, I found however that it plays it for about 0,5s everytime i start a video and when i seek and the sound starts again after skipping. The thing is that it plays the static sound only through the HDMI although I have selected optical as output.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have automatic compression turned on in your audio receiver. It basically brings up low sounds and pushes loud sounds so they all fit within a certain volume range, so you don't have to keep messing with the remote to turn the volume up for quiet talking parts, then turn it down for the explosions. A nice feature, but sometimes it can get too aggressive. If it hears nothing at all (like when you first start a video or when you are seeking) it will try to boost the volume so much that all you hear is static that is naturally there, but normally too low to hear.

At least that would be my guess, and something I've seen happen before. I would whip out the manual for your audio receiver (or look it up online) and see if it has any audio compression features. You should be able to adjust it or even just turn it off.
The audio in the reciever plays perfect the static plays shortly in the tv speakers. After there is no sound in the tv speakers and digital DTS plays nicely in the reciever. It just gives me a big scare starting a movie.
I've had this occur ever since trying XBMC on ATV2, daily builds and official.
I have HDMI to TV, optical to AMP/receiver - both sourced from the ATV2.
Whenever I enable AC3 or DTS I get static on the TV (HDMI) but AC3 or DTS from the receiver (Optical). 16bit on ATV doesnt change this, nor does any toggles in XBMC regarding where to output the audio (HDMI, Optical)
Normal navigation sounds on front row are output to both devices without issue.
Only work around i have is turning down the volume on tv when watching media with surround sound. if the audio on the media is stereo I dont believe the static occurs.
I've experienced the same noise.
I also have HDMI to TV, optical to AMP/receiver - both sourced from the ATV2. 16 bit setting on atv is not active.

To get rid of the noise I had to set the audio setting in xbmc to output the audio to HDMI instead of optical. Interesting enough, with this configuration the 5.1 and DTS audio is output to receiver via the optical cable.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Static sound with digital output0