• 2(current)
[SFF] unRAID Server
eskro Wrote:your parity drive can be any drive
as long as its equal or bigger then your largest storage drive
close, the parity drive needs to be bigger than the largest block of data on a single drive
mr.sparkle Wrote:Any browser can power down unRAID, telnet commands work, too

And a supermicro board with IPMI could power up unRAID as well

i think what he's asking for is,
can he use his unRAID Tower Case Power button,,,,
mr.sparkle Wrote:close, the parity drive needs to be bigger than the largest block of data on a single drive

yeah well, you can use 3 equal WD Greens 2TB and your still fine,,,,
Beer40oz Wrote:Now do people leave on there Unraid system all the time?
Why not, since you can set drives to spin down after a certain period of inactivity or sooner if you tell them so.
eskro Wrote:can he use his unRAID Tower Case Power button,,,,
I wouldn't do that to any computer unless it's locked. unraid needs to spin up all drives and unmount them for a successful power down
When I set up my unRAID server I read a little bit about powering down via the power button. Some will do it right and some won't. Something about if the BIOS supports ACPI.

When I press my power button it looks like it shuts the server down properly with no parity check on start up.
@ Beer40oz - let me offer you some unsolicited advice ...
I would be careful when taking advice from others on these forums. I'm not saying to ignore what is being said but there are some people on here that will give advice on what to purchase and how to setup/use a product that they themselves have never even bought or used. As an unraid builder and user I can tell you that some of the advice and explanations I see on this forum range from needlessly vauge to downright incorrect. My suggestion to you would be to ask those who offer advice on how they use THEIR OWN unraid system. That's not to say that you have to have your own unraid system to know anything about it, BUT reading about something is certainly much different than actually having experienced it firsthand. If you are going to build an unraid server my suggestion would be to visit the unraid forums. There you will almost always find an actual user(s) who will be more than happy to assist you in a very friendly manner.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
@ wsume99 - Hi... yes I am a member on the Unraid forums... I been talking to some people on that forum. I know some people are wrong and confuse me. But I do like Eskro's thread atleast it gives me an idea of what to get. When I finish my list I will post it on the Unraid forum and see what people say. This is sweet.

BTW I like your Unraid Rig.... always liked that case.
T800 Wrote:When I set up my unRAID server I read a little bit about powering down via the power button. Some will do it right and some won't. Something about if the BIOS supports ACPI.

When I press my power button it looks like it shuts the server down properly with no parity check on start up.
@T800 - It sounds like you have the powerdown package installed. Is this correct?

If you install the powerdown package from unMenu then your server will be shutdown properly when you press the power button on the case - i.e. the array is stopped, drives are unmounted, processes killed, etc., then the server is powered off. If you do not install the powerdown package or write your own custom code to perform a similar process then pressing the power button on the case will result in a hard shutdown of the server - basically equivalent to pulling the plug out of the outlet. If the server is not shutdown properly it will automatically initiate a parity check the next time the array is started.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:I'm not saying to ignore what is being said but there are some people on here that will give advice on what to purchase and how to setup/use a product that they themselves have never even bought or used.

Yepp, true!

thats why my suggested builds are confirmed/verified working with unRAID!

Specially when 'PoofyHairGuy' approves them too!

Smile
Beer40oz Wrote:@ wsume99 - Hi... yes I am a member on the Unraid forums... I been talking to some people on that forum. I know some people are wrong and confuse me. But I do like Eskro's thread atleast it gives me an idea of what to get. When I finish my list I will post it on the Unraid forum and see what people say. This is sweet.
Sounds like you have a good plan to me. I wasn't knocking Eskro's build thread, I just wanted to point out that I have found the unraid forums to be very helpful, especialy when it comes time to actually setup your server and install various applications. No matter your problem you'll most likely find somebody over there who has been there and done that before.

Beer40oz Wrote:BTW I like your Unraid Rig.... always liked that case.
Thanks. I actually was using that case for a desktop machine when I decided to give unraid a try. Once I got unraid up and running I never looked back ... bye bye desktop, hello unraid.
With the combination of this forum and the UnRaid forum, the amount of help is amazing! I actually feel like I know what I'm talking about now! (probably still don't tho!)
EndiSky Wrote:With the combination of this forum and the UnRaid forum, the amount of help is amazing! I actually feel like I know what I'm talking about now! (probably still don't tho!)

hahahha

we've all been there Smile
Well I do have my old pc case that I can use for Unraid. The green lights have to be off since it would bother me while watching a vid. But I feel it's pretty big.... get it in the closet? will it have good ventilation? Laugh

That means I have to get a Micro ATX mobo like this one:
ASRock 880GM I know T800 has it.... and I heard it's good also by some other people.

RAIDMAX SMILODON
You wouldn't need to get a micro atx mobo for that Raidmax case, an ATX would be fine.

Having it in a closet would be fine, I have mine in a lower cabinet that has a whole drilled in it running a fan (in the cabinet).

One of the good things about unraid is that you can see what your temps are and move the server accordingly if you are running over 45 degrees or so under load (at least thats what i adjusted to).
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SFF] unRAID Server0