• 5(current)
[SFF] unRAID Server
eskro Wrote:so what are your split levels?
Actually I just provided that info in another thread the other day. You can find it here.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Hi,

I have the same case and thought about unraid server too, potentially can have max 21TB (3TB x7) this can be achieved by putting a hotswap 5.25" bay in which takes 3.5" hard drive this way you can have 7 drives and 1 SSD.

I initially installed a 8 port Areca raid card in mine which can be used as pass through mode for unraid server. mine was 6x2tb + 1xSSD but my initial goal at the time was all in one htpc with nas function for my other media players.

so i installed on mine windows 7 with NFS software like allegro / Hanewin NFS
OR Ubuntu with built in NFS client.

you can have XBMC on both.

mine is very silent quieter than my watercooled PC.

see here for pics. I changed my mine at the end because i did not have space for it in my flat having already and large watercooled 800D PC which now has 8 bay hotswap drives which i have NFS to my media players.

Pics will give you better look at what it will look like.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-ente...b-nas.html

pm me if you have any question etc.

a5ian300zx
Quote:* MySQL Database/SABnzbd/CouchPotato/Sick Beard users, Upgrade CPU & RAM accordingly
[b]

I'd like to go ahead and try this build. What do you recomend for a CPU to run SAB and Sick Beard?
i say at Least double everything,,,,

get a dual-core ATHLON X2 250 + 2GB RAM
Thanks eskro! I think I'll be placing an order tonight. This is my first time setting up any sort of NAS, so wish me luck...lol.
good luck, im sure youll be fine!
Hello all,

New on this forum but have been reading a lot. Was looking at the 6 disk SFF configuration. Am from Europe. Saw this case http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...=63&g=spec

It is cheaper, slightly more space (want to place the case in closet where fuses and landlines come into the house) How do you call that?

Has standard 7x 2,5 bays for HDD, besides that 2x 5,25 external bays. I can probably use these by converting them to 2 hot swap 3,5 bays (not sure about how to cool these) Then I would have 7 disks for the array, 1 for the paritydisk, 1 for a possible cachedisk? Is that nessecary as I want to have couchpotato, sickbeard and sanzb running on this machine.

Was looking into using i3 platform with gigabit network

Am I going overboard or am I reasoning correctly?

Space in the closet is the main issue, but do not have the space to put a tower in this closet.

Can anyone recommend a micro atx MB for i3, am a bit lost.
Amount of memory to use on this?

Loads of questions here. Hope that I am not considered lazy with all these questions but am a bit of a noob here.
i suggest you create a new thread Takkiedroid,
youll get better support
Will do, thanks for this advice, sorry if I polluted this thread.
no worries
Eskro, could you recommend a motherboard, cpu and RAM upgrade for this build for users who want SAB, CouchPotato, Sick Beard and MySQL?

Would a ION system with 4gb work?

Thanks
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
Asking for a HW recommendation for a SQL Database without any information about what you want to do with your database (size, Read IOs/sec , write IOs/sec) is pointless.

Unraid itself just need very limited resources 1GB Ram is more than enough. SAB needs resources , mainly for unpack and parity check, Couchpotato and Sickbeard more a less have the same requirements. Be aware, that unraid has limited write performance,
If you run your server 24/7 than CPU speed is not so important, just download during nighttimes or other unused timeslots. If you like to download / unpack while watching HD Movies: a small risk is there to face performance issues.
I think, that write speed is so limited, that unpack / parity check can't drive the system to the limit.

I have a unraid server with a AMD 4200+ CPU and processor load while accessing files is below 5%.

Nevertheless: Running applications on a storage system is possible, but I prefer to distinguish between storage servers and application servers. Data protection first. Thats why I use a raid system.

mprassel Wrote:Eskro, could you recommend a motherboard, cpu and RAM upgrade for this build for users who want SAB, CouchPotato, Sick Beard and MySQL?

Would a ION system with 4gb work?

Thanks
FYI if you are looking to build this out today at newegg it is 214.99 for the case/mb/ram/ps/cpu plus take another $40 off for mail in rebates brings it down to 174.99.
cburbs Wrote:FYI if you are looking to build this out today at newegg it is 214.99 for the case/mb/ram/ps/cpu plus take another $40 off for mail in rebates brings it down to 174.99.

crazy O.O
Somewhat out of frustration that I did not get a deal on the HP server at Newegg today I pulled the trigger on this MB and PSU this just to get going on learning and using UnRaid.

Now I need to get the other pieces of the puzzle. I'm going to use a temp case and have drive to get up and running. But would also like to find a DEAL on the CPU, DRAM, and other little parts to get it running. Are there any deals out there right now on the other parts?

FYI, here are the links to the MB and PSU:

ZOTAC GF6100-E-E AM3 14.99 after rebate

and

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 16.99 after rebate
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SFF] unRAID Server0