[AppleTV2] Weird dithering in skin and movies
I seem to have a dithering problem on XBMC on my ATV2. It occurs in main menu overlays of the confluence skins, but becomes more obvious in darker scenes of movies. I've made some pictures from stills of the movie The Beaver (mkv x264 scene release) that are particulary bad:
Sample: Image
Zoomed: Image

I'm currently using ATV2 with nightly of 08/31 but the problem was also obvious on the 2 previous builds I tried. I connect to my Windows Home Server over an SMB connection.
I don't have any problems with picture quality on the ATV2 native software, it only occurs in XBMC. Lookt like there's only 16bit colours or something. Anyone have a clue what would cause something like this?
Not sure if this is related.. but what is the model number of your TV?
It's a sony kdl 40v2000.
It seems to be standard XBMC rendering, I have the same behavior, is connected to a HarmanKardon AVR254 and then to a Samsung TV via HDMI, I modified the screen calibration in XBMC to zoom in around 4x the pixels on the main screen and discard any artifact produced by the TV or the receiver and clearly saw the same dithering in the big pixels, after doing that I exited XBMC and confirmed that the dithering is not present in frontrow so this is definitively coming from XBMC. I don't know if this can be controlled or is part of XBMC's ATV2 implementation.
Anyone else have this problem or is it related to a specific brand of tv?
Hi!
Same problem with a panasonic plasma 42px60
same problem with Samsung 46" over HDMI from Harman Kardon AVR 255
should be fixed in the next nightly (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/460c...53bbeccdbc)
Soniq same here - thought it was just something weird my end.
Good to here it is fixed already!!
Thanks for fixng it so quickly, i'll check the new nightly tomorrow!
[edit]just installed the 9/11 version and the dithering effect is fixed, thanks!
Huge difference, installed installed xbmc-20110910-caab280 and looks perfect now

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Weird dithering in skin and movies0