MediaPortal PVR help
Question 
Ok i having some trouble here setting up xbmc pvr on my windows 7 ultimate x64bit machine with media portal 1.20 and with a verizon fios stb it goes from wall to stb to pc and when i go into live tv in xbmc only 1 ch pops up with no name and wont play can anyone help me setup xbmc pvr with mediaportal ?
(xbmc pre eden by the way) my tuner is Hybrid ATSC/QAM PCI-E AVS Video Capture (SoftEncoder)
Anybody know how to get this working? i am still completely lost i even started over from scratch. :confused2:
What is coming out of the STB and connecting to the tuner? What type of connection?

Do you have to have the STB set to a channel to watch it through XBMC?
it goes through coaxial to the pc tuner card it workis in windows media center but i dont like it as much as xbmc
Does it work in Mediaportal? If not, first try to get it working there.

If it works fine in Mediaportal and not in XBMC, I'm interested in XBMC debug logs and log files from your Mediaportal TVServer.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Coax-out on the set-top box might as well be thought of as any kind of video out. You won't be able to tune from it and whatever is on the receiving end of it (your tuner) will only see the channel being tuned by the cable box. Remember back when TVs had only coax input and you had to keep your TV tuned to channel 3 in order for you to see the video?

What you are trying to do, if I'm understanding, is not the correct solution. If you want to be able to tune from your PC, you need to go from the wall to the tuner, however, of course that doesn't work for encrypted channel which most of your service package is.

What you actually need to do is purchase a TV Tuner with CableCard support such as the Ceton InfiniTV 4, Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, or a networked solution like the HDHomerun Prime. These can be pricy, with the WinTV being the cheapest and least feature-filled, but the cablecard should be cheaper than the cablebox rental by about $5-10 a month so they pay for themselves eventually. This is especially true if you are renting multiple boxes.

There is still one more problem with this solution, however, in that your cable provider may now or may eventually only provide channel programming via switched video which CableCard does not support. This is because CableCard is unidirectional, so you can't send out from them meaning you can't request a new channel if it's not already modulated in the signal and you can't access services like OnDemand and Pay-Per-View. The latter is less of an issue with things like Icefilms, but the former could make this solution obsolete at some point.

Your other choice is to stick with the cable box... get yourself an IR transmitter, attach it correctly to your STB, and use a program like EventGhost to send channel changing signals to your STB through your PC. Then you can avoid most of the internal PVR features of MediaPortal and take advantage of the ones you're paying for from the cable company.
SlyMaelstrom Wrote:Coax-out on the set-top box might as well be thought of as any kind of video out. You won't be able to tune from it and whatever is on the receiving end of it (your tuner) will only see the channel being tuned by the cable box. Remember back when TVs had only coax input and you had to keep your TV tuned to channel 3 in order for you to see the video?

What you are trying to do, if I'm understanding, is not the correct solution. If you want to be able to tune from your PC, you need to go from the wall to the tuner, however, of course that doesn't work for encrypted channel which most of your service package is.

What you actually need to do is purchase a TV Tuner with CableCard support such as the Ceton InfiniTV 4, Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650, or a networked solution like the HDHomerun Prime. These can be pricy, with the WinTV being the cheapest and least feature-filled, but the cablecard should be cheaper than the cablebox rental by about $5-10 a month so they pay for themselves eventually. This is especially true if you are renting multiple boxes.

There is still one more problem with this solution, however, in that your cable provider may now or may eventually only provide channel programming via switched video which CableCard does not support. This is because CableCard is unidirectional, so you can't send out from them meaning you can't request a new channel if it's not already modulated in the signal and you can't access services like OnDemand and Pay-Per-View. The latter is less of an issue with things like Icefilms, but the former could make this solution obsolete at some point.

Your other choice is to stick with the cable box... get yourself an IR transmitter, attach it correctly to your STB, and use a program like EventGhost to send channel changing signals to your STB through your PC. Then you can avoid most of the internal PVR features of MediaPortal and take advantage of the ones you're paying for from the cable company.

Thank you so much for explaining that to me ive been trying to get it to work using the card that came with my computer silly me Rolleyes so what card are you using or witch do you recommend for quality? and like i said before it works with windows media center so idont know why it does that and another thing do you know what setting verizon fios uses like QAM or DVB because i dont know what setting to use for verizon fios?
anyone know what the best cable card is for quality?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaPortal PVR help0