ATV2 Help initial set-up
Hi,

I have just bought and ATV2 and installed XBMC the firmware is 4.3 and i used snowbreeze to install XBMC.

Everything fires up as expected I get XBMC etc...... I have a windows 7 laptop with homegroup sharing set to stream to my xbox and ps3.

I have just managed to work out how to share my downloads folder with the ATV2 but I manually have to search to the location each time for example

-workgroup
-andy-pc
-downloads

Firstly is there something i need to do to make the share open 'directly' so i can browse the films i want to watch??

the second question I have is when i open a film folder theres no film visable...... do i need a certain plugin??

sorry if the above is basic stuff i just can't seem to get it running correctly

Thanks

Andy
andybez Wrote:Hi,

I have just bought and ATV2 and installed XBMC the firmware is 4.3 and i used snowbreeze to install XBMC.

Everything fires up as expected I get XBMC etc...... I have a windows 7 laptop with homegroup sharing set to stream to my xbox and ps3.

I have just managed to work out how to share my downloads folder with the ATV2 but I manually have to search to the location each time for example

-workgroup
-andy-pc
-downloads

Firstly is there something i need to do to make the share open 'directly' so i can browse the films i want to watch??

the second question I have is when i open a film folder theres no film visable...... do i need a certain plugin??

sorry if the above is basic stuff i just can't seem to get it running correctly

Thanks

Andy

Sounds like you need to start from the beginning and read through the wiki
The wiki doesn't really explain the problems i'm seeing......

The share has been created but theres no .avi's in the folders.
Have you added source (i.e. folder) and then set content type?
This means your files will be scanned into a library of your choosing.

If you are viewing "videos" then you should be able to see them when clicking "files".
If you settings are not being saved then check out the wikis, it might be this:

Quote:Why are settings or sources not stored and updates are failing?
This can happen when the setting xml files are manipulated outside XBMC. Connect to your iPad/ATV2 as root using an ssh client and repair file permissions.
Run the following command on the iPad/ATV2:
chown -R mobile:mobile /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).
Thanks Jabba_29

So you have to tell xbmc what files to look for e.g. .avi and this would be a video content setting

I expected the ATV2 to work in the same sort of way as the PS3, in that the you add the ATV2 in to your own homegroup.
XBMC should still be able to list the files in file view even without adding them to the library. Ether way, you shouldn't have to add the source each time. Do what Jabba just said to do to fix permissions and you should be all set.
Thanks Ned i'll post back when i've made the changes
There are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to setup XBMC.
They are not comprehensive but will get you started without having to dredge through the whole wiki
Thanks for the help!! Jabba_29's fix worked....

I have a new problem Rolleyes I added icefilms the install all worked....

But when I tried to download the 230mb file for all the artwork and covers it failed. It started and was about half way through then the screen started to flash on and off and the atv2 crashed.

When i loaded it back it wouldn't load the 230mb file..... instead I can see then menu's tv shows, movies etc but i can't view any of the films I get error plugin failed.

I think this is a common error and there's loads of posts about!!!

I replaced the default.py that someone on this forum had created but still nothing.

The menu's work fine it even drops down as far as showing you the individual episodes.

I think the orginal download of the 230mb file screwed everything up.

Please can anyone helpHuh
You should target your IceFilms questions in that thread. There have been a lot of changes to that plug in, the hosting .. well just about everything.
You just need to dig around there and find a working solution somehow.
Might just be a case of deleting all user data for that add on & re-installing, but not completely sure.

FWIW I have only made a change to the add on that allowed you to select the root URL - that was a few weeks ago now I suppose and it shouldn't be needed again.
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 Help initial set-up0