Is it possible...
Can you *feasibly*, horizontally mount an ASUS GT430 card inside a 1u rackmount server chasis? I know it's technically possible using a pci riser card, but does the heatsink become overly inefficient with the limited space. For sake of argument let's say I'm pushing nothing but 1080p 3D films through it, since I assume that would tax it thermally the most.

I am trying to streamline my home electronics by putting everything in a server closet. The question becomes, can I get away with a 1U chasis for the HTPC, or do I need to step up the plate and go the 2U/3U/4U route. Spce isn't really a problem, but I'm not a huge fan on wasting space simply because I can... I mean that space could be used for (insert awesome new project or piece of equipment here)...

Keep in mind this will do NOTHING other than run XBMC 24/7/365.

Any thoughts?
I'd say it should be possible, but I'd probably go with a 2U server just to be sure: heat isn't really a good friend. However, let's see what the experts say.
As someone who works with servers all day, I'll say that, can you do this in a 1U rack? Probably. Should you? No. Go with a 2U, stick an extra fan or 2 in there to get some airflow moving through and go with that.
YodaEXE Wrote:As someone who works with servers all day, I'll say that, can you do this in a 1U rack? Probably. Should you? No. Go with a 2U, stick an extra fan or 2 in there to get some airflow moving through and go with that.

+1
That is basically all I needed to know. I will galdly buy a larger chasis as long as I know it isn't wasting money and space. Besides it's saves the cost of a riser card, right!
XBMC Gotham via OpenElec 5.0.8
ASRock H87M-ITX
I3-4330 Haswell CPU
64GB SSD ADATA
4GB Team Elite DDR3
MI-008 Case
unRAID 5disks 18TB of awesome

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible...0