Hybrid forum/wiki FAQ stuff for ATV2/iOS
Removed the TOC limit and I made the alternating colors/shading much more subtle.
Check how much space apple tv has: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=845286&postcount=2

Ftp:- http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=764...stcount=85
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
CrashX Wrote:Check how much space apple tv has: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=845286&postcount=2

Ftp:- http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=764...stcount=85

Not sure if checking the memory space is an FAQ type question (maybe for an advanced section), but the second link, SFTP, is already mentioned in the FAQ at 1.7 What add-ons/skins can I use?
Ned Scott Wrote:Not sure if checking the memory space is an FAQ type question (maybe for an advanced section), but the second link, SFTP, is already mentioned in the FAQ at 1.7 What add-ons/skins can I use?

I think it is valid question to ask how much space is free on apple tv ?

I perfer being labeled how to tranfer files to apple tv ..
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Ned Scott Wrote:Removed the TOC limit and I made the alternating colors/shading much more subtle.

Looks good to me... easier to edit and link to and read.

I don't think checking the space on atv2 is a frequent question. Doesn't seem to come up often.
CrashX Wrote:I think it is valid question to ask how much space is free on apple tv ?

It is, but it's not really a FAQ type question. We'll have a page dedicated to more advanced topics eventually. Even now the iOS FAQ is a bit on the large side, so it's a fine balance between making it complete and making it succinct.

Quote:I perfer being labeled how to tranfer files to apple tv ..

I split the previous section so there's now a heading that says:

How do I transfer files like add-on/skin zips over?

How's that?
Also, how do we feel about the headings? Since the heading titles will be used to link directly to certain questions we probably won't want to change them often. Before we start using the Wiki FAQ as the only FAQ we'll want to make sure our heading titles are what we want.

There are ways to use alternative anchors (so we can change names but maintain links, or just use numbers or short titles as alternatives), but I can't seem to figure it out at the moment. I'll have to look up how I used to do it on Wikipedia. We did it all the time for "List of [SHOW] episodes", where you could use the episode number as an anchor like "#ep12".
How do I transfer files like add-on/skin zips over?

How's that?[/quote]

Looks good ..

Another advanced topis is how to mount external network drive on apple tv ? This is needed for nzb streamer plugin ..
Ned Scott Wrote:Also, how do we feel about the headings? Since the heading titles will be used to link directly to certain questions we probably won't want to change them often. Before we start using the Wiki FAQ as the only FAQ we'll want to make sure our heading titles are what we want.

There are ways to use alternative anchors (so we can change names but maintain links, or just use numbers or short titles as alternatives), but I can't seem to figure it out at the moment. I'll have to look up how I used to do it on Wikipedia. We did it all the time for "List of [SHOW] episodes", where you could use the episode number as an anchor like "#ep12".

Good point re: renaming sections (i.e. editing questions) since that's pretty likely to happen. Anchors seem the best approach but the typical {{anchor|anchor name}} doesn't seem to work like it does in wikipedia (when embedded in a section title, apparently works on a separate line).

As for the anchor names. They should be a keyword (or two) in the question, one(s) not likely to change. If we used {{anchor|q11}} for instance, then inserting a question before it would require renaming the following anchors (the number wouldn't HAVE to be sequential but it would be confusing otherwise). Using keywords should make it easier to edit questions.
CrashX Wrote:Another advanced topis is how to mount external network drive on apple tv ? This is needed for nzb streamer plugin ..

No difference between a network share and a network drive. That's what "How should I setup and access my media for XBMC?" is for, which desperately needs more good examples/tutorials (I wasn't able to find any that day. I'll search the forums today or try to make one myself if no one beats me to it)
jd2157 Wrote:Good point re: renaming sections (i.e. editing questions) since that's pretty likely to happen. Anchors seem the best approach but the typical {{anchor|anchor name}} doesn't seem to work like it does in wikipedia (when embedded in a section title, apparently works on a separate line).

As for the anchor names. They should be a keyword (or two) in the question, one(s) not likely to change. If we used {{anchor|q11}} for instance, then inserting a question before it would require renaming the following anchors (the number wouldn't HAVE to be sequential but it would be confusing otherwise). Using keywords should make it easier to edit questions.

Got the {{anchor}} template imported and working. Not sure why it doesn't work instead the header when it does on Wikipedia. The template can handle up to 10 tags, so it can be like

{{anchor|ssh|sftp|file_transfer}} and each one of those would work and point to the same spot.
Ned Scott Wrote:Got the {{anchor}} template imported and working. Not sure why it doesn't work instead the header when it does on Wikipedia. The template can handle up to 10 tags, so it can be like

{{anchor|ssh|sftp|file_transfer}} and each one of those would work and point to the same spot.

Ya they seem fine on their own line. I added anchors for the other questions. They were quick/dirty so anyone feel free to improve them.

Saw the multiple anchor limit... could be handy for sure.
@procrastinator: I don't think people in this thread have given you nearly the credit you deserve for including a kitten doing cute things in your moc-up @ the beginning of this thread :-)
Are we ready to start using just the one FAQ yet? Anyone want to give it a good look over? Not sure if we should/need to include the de-interlacing settings toggle fix? Mention direct boot to XBMC?
Ya, I think we're ready. The de-interlacing stuff is resolved in the latest nightlies (far as I know) so not much need to include it. The direct boot question is probably worth putting it in there... does get asked pretty often.

If anyone has any strong opinions they can express them in the wiki FAQ.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hybrid forum/wiki FAQ stuff for ATV2/iOS0