• 9(current)
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
Ned Scott Wrote:But why do you need symlinks for that? You can make multiple share points using AFP. As far as XBMC can see, it would be the same thing.

1) to avoid needing to recreate my library. I have a very large library with all content and paths already set, including paths to local thumbnails and fan art. with AFP and SQLite I could fairly easily search and replace. not so with complicated path name changes. the alternative of reorganizing everything from scratch would take me hours and hours.

2) clutter. i have at least 4 volumes with video, each with at least 2 top level folders, so I would would need 8 separate share points for my main server Mac alone. My wife has a smaller but similar setup. One share point with symlinks consolidates each computers' shared folders. (don't forget there are local sources and other internet sources, etc.)

3) privacy. i can be up front here i suppose. my adult film content is now in one misleadingly named share folder (again containing symlinks). having 4-5 of those would increase exposure to guests, etc., casually browsing. (i kind of hoped by now there would be the ability to hide certain folders...)
The problem with empty directorys which posted some of you should be fixed in master. This is a problem between the libafpclient lib and netatalk server. This will also disallow symlink resolving on that constellations.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:The problem with empty directorys which posted some of you should be fixed in master. This is a problem between the libafpclient lib and netatalk server. This will also disallow symlink resolving on that constellations.

Should this include a fix for my problems with scrapping? Thx in advance and keep up the great job all devs.
Doombelly Wrote:Should this include a fix for my problems with scrapping? Thx in advance and keep up the great job all devs.

might be yes ...

for all others ... who ever uses netatalk server and wants symlinks to work should add

Code:
options:usedots,upriv

To his volumes config in netatalk (usually /etc/netatalk/AppleVolumes.default)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hi Guys,
I have found a slight issue with the AFP connection, related the the latest build (nightly release 1st Oct).
If the drive holding the media files to be played has spun down, afp will fail to connect the to the drive, as it doesn't wait long enough for the drive to spin up.
SMB mount will wait long enough for the drive to spin up and then list the media files.
I have had to leave the smb mounts in place to kick start the afp connections if the drives have spun down.
Is there a way to make afp mount wait a few seconds more for the drive to spin up?
This is only an issue if you have external usb drives(osx not windows). And yes I know I can touch files on the drive to keep them from spinning down.
Also same nightly build seems to be unstable, especially when navigating the main menu's. I will post debug log latter.
Jules
jules1976 Wrote:Hi Guys,
I have found a slight issue with the AFP connection, related the the latest build (nightly release 1st Oct).
If the drive holding the media files to be played has spun down, afp will fail to connect the to the drive, as it doesn't wait long enough for the drive to spin up.
SMB mount will wait long enough for the drive to spin up and then list the media files.
I have had to leave the smb mounts in place to kick start the afp connections if the drives have spun down.
Is there a way to make afp mount wait a few seconds more for the drive to spin up?
This is only an issue if you have external usb drives(osx not windows). And yes I know I can touch files on the drive to keep them from spinning down.
Also same nightly build seems to be unstable, especially when navigating the main menu's. I will post debug log latter.
Jules

There is a way to change the timeout for SMB via advancedsettings.xml. I'm not sure if such settings are also available for AFP. I think we'll have to wait for a response from Memphiz to find out.
Memphiz:

Great... will test as soon as possible. However buildbot just failed so I hope to test it tomorrow.
no afp timeout in advanvedsettings so far ... will look into the api if i can set a timeout there ... you can deactivate the disk spindown in the energy settings in osx...
Hi guys,

I'm having the exact same issues as Paulkai on my Apple TV 2G.
When I try to add my movie library, I go to zeroconf. My Macbook Pro is listed in zeroconf but when I try to open it the wheel spins for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I've also tried to add my mac manually by adding the ip, but with no luck.

My movie folder is on an external usb hard drive. The folder is set to read/write by everyone in sharing options in settings.
I've even tried to share the entire external usb hard drive.

I've tried the media player from FireCore which has no issues what so ever accessing my movie folder via afp, so it must be something i'm doing wrong in xbmc.

Build: Git:20110930-2138fb0 (Compiled : Oct 1 2011)

xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/crBw3cC6

If you need other/more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
3 things.

Code:
afp://afp//[email protected]/film/
afp://afp://[email protected]/film/

both are wrong

Code:
17:24:00 T:134873088   ERROR: LIBAFPCLIENT: Login error: Authentication failed
17:24:00 T:134873088   ERROR: AFP: Error connecting to afp://192.168.0.150:548/

Your server needs authentication

3. Additionally i did a bunch of fixes for AFP yesterday

The correct url has to be:

Code:
afp://username:password@ip/sharedfolder

So if you put it in manually you only put in the IP in the servername field (looks like you added afp:// here too which is added automatically...)

good luck Smile
jules1976 Wrote:Hi Guys,
Jules

Could you generate a xbmc.log when this happens? Didn't find anything of a timeout. But only a 10 secs timeout somewhere deep in the lib code which i cant change from outside. Do you think it lasts more then 10 secs before hd is up and accessable again?

For the log see the first link in my signature ...
Memphiz Wrote:3 things.

Code:
afp://afp//[email protected]/film/
afp://afp://[email protected]/film/

both are wrong

Code:
17:24:00 T:134873088   ERROR: LIBAFPCLIENT: Login error: Authentication failed
17:24:00 T:134873088   ERROR: AFP: Error connecting to afp://192.168.0.150:548/

Your server needs authentication

3. Additionally i did a bunch of fixes for AFP yesterday

The correct url has to be:

Code:
afp://username:password@ip/sharedfolder

So if you put it in manually you only put in the IP in the servername field (looks like you added afp:// here too which is added automatically...)

good luck Smile

Still can't get it to work Sad

I've tried adding a new user account in Lion called xbmc with password 1234 and with read/write permission but xbmc still won't connect to my mac.

New xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/7jjZddHh

23:12:50 T:123940864 DEBUG: AFP: Connected to server Philips MacBook Pro using UAM "DHX2"
23:12:50 T:123940864 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting afp://xbmc:[email protected]/Film

Looks like it connected for a second and then lost connection again.
allways paste full logs - don't cut them ... also case sensitivity might be a problem ... is it film or Film? Do you have debug logging on?
Filib Wrote:Hi guys,

I'm having the exact same issues as Paulkai on my Apple TV 2G.
When I try to add my movie library, I go to zeroconf. My Macbook Pro is listed in zeroconf but when I try to open it the wheel spins for a few seconds and then nothing happens. I've also tried to add my mac manually by adding the ip, but with no luck.

My movie folder is on an external usb hard drive. The folder is set to read/write by everyone in sharing options in settings.
I've even tried to share the entire external usb hard drive.

I've tried the media player from FireCore which has no issues what so ever accessing my movie folder via afp, so it must be something i'm doing wrong in xbmc.

Build: Git:20110930-2138fb0 (Compiled : Oct 1 2011)

xbmc log: http://pastebin.com/crBw3cC6

If you need other/more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Is your external drive formatted in FAT32 or NTFS? It could be the problem..

Somehow Lion can't 'see' FAT32 or NTFS formatted drive.. I had the same issue, and now I'm in the process of reformatting mine and re-transfer all my libraries *sigh
Hello, I've created a thread asking for AFP support for subtitle, is it only me or it's true that it's not currently supported? Thx.. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=111508
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS1