• 2(current)
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
_-Sky-_ Wrote:@canadave : are you sharing something without necessary login/password on your NAS ?

Sorry, I don't understand what exactly you're asking.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
canadave Wrote:Sorry, I don't understand what exactly you're asking.
I mean do you have a public sharing, which does not require providing a login and password ?

EDIT : After reading your edit 3, it seems the files you shared require providing a username/password to be accessed.
But the matter of password protected shares using Zeroconf seems to be there...
_-Sky-_ Wrote:This behavior is on "Lion compatible" sharing (OS Lion, recently upgraded NAS) only or with every kind of share ?

Yeah this issue is on all AFP shares.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
canadave Wrote:OK, it sort of works for me. It's something on my side, with my NAS, that's not working; it works fine on my Mac Pro and my laptop.

http://pastebin.com/a5pKAPKh

It looks to me like it's trying to connect to port 548 on my NAS...not sure if my Synology is listening on port 548 for AFP?

I'll do some more investigating.

*** EDIT ***: the Synology DOES use port 548 for AFP. And it is enabled (have been using it for my own computer LAN connections to the NAS for some time now). But not working in this case with the ATV2. That's strange....hmmmm.........

*** EDIT 2 ***: Duhhrrr...let me try davilla's manual connect and see if that's the issue. I bet it is.

*** EDIT 3 ***: Yep, it works when I manually type in the username : password@IP/sharedfolder to access the share rather than browsing. It's too bad it doesn't "just work", but, oh well Smile It works, bottom line! I'm playing TRON:Legacy 1080p .mkv file from my NAS to the ATV2 via wireless LAN, working great, no buffering/stuttering.

Yeah i don't know how to fix. It tries to cconect with out username/pass when using zeroconf - and the lib doesn't return a "auth required" or something like that. So this ZeroConf only works if you share public (without username and password).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Yeah i don't know how to fix. It tries to cconect with out username/pass when using zeroconf - and the lib doesn't return a "auth required" or something like that. So this ZeroConf only works if you share public (without username and password).

Fair enough.

Do you, Memphiz, or anyone else, offhand know...which is the more efficient network transport protocol in general, in terms of overhead etc...AFP or NFS?
Memphiz Wrote:Yeah i don't know how to fix. It tries to cconect with out username/pass when using zeroconf - and the lib doesn't return a "auth required" or something like that. So this ZeroConf only works if you share public (without username and password).
I'm not sure if it can help, but the lib provides, for each share, flags telling, among other things, if the share is password protected
canadave Wrote:Fair enough.

Do you, Memphiz, or anyone else, offhand know...which is the more efficient network transport protocol in general, in terms of overhead etc...AFP or NFS?
I didn't make the tests myself, but I read that AFP is faster and uses less CPU when using OSX machine as server.

I simply tend to think that each protocol is the best in its native environment (SMB for Windows, AFP for OSX and NFS for Linux/UNIX/BSD)
I have my media stored on my OS X 10.5.8 G5 PPC machine using SMB at the moment, would it benefit me from switching over to AFP instead? I mean will things be faster and smoother when it comes to streaming?
turbinez Wrote:I have my media stored on my OS X 10.5.8 G5 PPC machine using SMB at the moment, would it benefit me from switching over to AFP instead? I mean will things be faster and smoother when it comes to streaming?
Do you have streaming issues currently ?
Sky, yes I am having stuttering or buffering issues. Seems to be happen randomly and I'm on a wired ethernet connection. Doesn't happen all the time though.
turbinez Wrote:I have my media stored on my OS X 10.5.8 G5 PPC machine using SMB at the moment, would it benefit me from switching over to AFP instead? I mean will things be faster and smoother when it comes to streaming?
There's an easy way to find out Wink

it just occurred to me that some folks might be reluctant to "change" their setup. Remember, you don't need to change anything with your existing setup; you can just add another source, make it AFP, point it to your existing shared folder, and see how it works, without messing around at all with your existing source. Takes two secs to try Smile
canadave, ahh awesome, saves me a ton of trouble! I can just toggle between the different sources and see which works better. Smile Thanks!
turbinez Wrote:Sky, yes I am having stuttering or buffering issues. Seems to be happen randomly and I'm on a wired ethernet connection. Doesn't happen all the time though.
You can try AFP, but don't forget your problem is not necessarily a network protocol issue. It can be a lot of other things : slow network, too heavy file, slow cpu, etc...

For exemple, I'm not sur a G5 PPC (which is what you have) will handle smoothly 1080p HD videos in H264 or VC1...
Just tried it on mini. Zeroconfig does not ask for user/paswd but works like a charm with manually added network location. Thanks!
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

_-Sky-_ Wrote:I didn't make the tests myself, but I read that AFP is faster and uses less CPU when using OSX machine as server.

I simply tend to think that each protocol is the best in its native environment (SMB for Windows, AFP for OSX and NFS for Linux/UNIX/BSD)

NFS is native on OS X, and Lion includes improved support. It just doesn't have a nice GUI to set things up with.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS1