• 3(current)
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
_-Sky-_ Wrote:I didn't make the tests myself, but I read that AFP is faster and uses less CPU when using OSX machine as server.

I simply tend to think that each protocol is the best in its native environment (SMB for Windows, AFP for OSX and NFS for Linux/UNIX/BSD)

Like Ned said, NFS is native on OS X... and OSX is UNIX. Leopard and Snow Leopard are certified, presumably Lion will be too once it's gone through the process.
Ned Scott Wrote:NFS is native on OS X, and Lion includes improved support. It just doesn't have a nice GUI to set things up with.
jd2157 Wrote:Like Ned said, NFS is native on OS X... and OSX is UNIX. Leopard and Snow Leopard are certified, presumably Lion will be too once it's gone through the process.
I always thought OS X was Darwin based, so BSD based...

And I shouldn't have used "native protocol" but "vendor recommended/default/natural protocol" instead. I assumed that OS X could use NFS, as well as SMB, but it's not the Apple way for file sharing.
Little too much off topic chatter going on that is NOT AFPClient related guys Smile
Ok, first issue I have encountered....(will grab the log later on today, away from the desk so to speak).

If xbmc is idle say for 30mins and then from the home screen, I go into the source i.e.--Video--> Files --> Video source (afp). It shows me a blank screen. No error messages about a failed connection. Workaround for me is to restart xbmc. At first, I thought it may be the drives that aren't awake or the computer itself. It doesn't seem so since the restart of xbmc on atv2 works and also I haven't experienced this through any of the other protocols.

Will grab the log shortly.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thanks for this, works perfectly.

Is it possible to add more than one folder?! First I added my directory "Movies", without any problems, but then I tried to add "TV-Shows" and it couldn't connect with the server!
Nosircantdo Wrote:Thanks for this, works perfectly.

Is it possible to add more than one folder?! First I added my directory "Movies", without any problems, but then I tried to add "TV-Shows" and it couldn't connect with the server!
As explained in the first message of this thread, activate the debug in XBMC, reproduce the problem and provide XBMC log. This will be more useful to try to understand the problem.
Nosircantdo Wrote:Thanks for this, works perfectly.

read my red text on the first page of this thread ... known issue...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I'm possibly the only person here running AFP server software on a Windows 7 server (ExtremeZ-IP). Would I be better off using this or sticking with SMB?
I'm sorry to ask this question and I'm assuming it's an extremely easy answer I'm just missing but I'm asking it anyway.
Background: on a hackintosh running Lion....so that could be where my issue comes from (network and audio are always a pain for this hackintosh). But I'm running the most recent nightly (xbmc-20110910-caab280-master-atv2.deb 11-Sep-2011 11:04) and I'm trying to use the new AFS transfers but I'm not seeing where to add shares. Am I going crazy? I looked in System and also VIDEOS --> Files and it's just a black screen. I'm sorry again but I've been using this a long time so maybe some other people are having a similar issue. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is something really easy!
Thanks so much for AFP-Support, this will improve my experience significantly!

The first stable bug I encounter is when connected via AFP, all hidden files and folders are displayed, though this is deactivated in the system settings.

Every build so far crashes every now and then, still trying to recognize a pattern here... seems that scraping in progress brings instability, will observe this...
Romanes eunt domus
skippr Wrote:Thanks so much for AFP-Support, this will improve my experience significantly!

The first stable bug I encounter is when connected via AFP, all hidden files and folders are displayed, though this is deactivated in the system settings.

Every build so far crashes every now and then, still trying to recognize a pattern here... seems that scraping in progress brings instability, will observe this...

Well i know howto fix this. But the strange is - libafpclient doesn't even show me the hidden files. Wonder why this works on your side.

NVM - i mark files/folders starting with "." as hidden now (thats the way other implementations do it aswell)...

test in the next nightly:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/3612...059e43f533
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
@Memphiz : libafpclient shows me hidden files. In my case, viewing them or not was an AFP server option (I used netatalk).
_-Sky-_ Wrote:@Memphiz : libafpclient shows me hidden files. In my case, viewing them or not was an AFP server option (I used netatalk).

ahh ... thx - netatalk here too... that clears things up then...
How can we change all our existing SMB sources to AFP sources properly? (I shudder to think what adding hundreds of videos, including thumbnails and fan art stored on the server with the videos, back to my video/movie library would be like, if there weren't some kind of global search and replace option.)
Memphiz Wrote:...

test in the next nightly:

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/3612...059e43f533

just tried, that did the trick, thanks!
Romanes eunt domus
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS1