• 16(current)
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS
To add to the above....I have updated XBMC on my aTV and now have the eden beta. I managed to get a share as far as my public folder. I will work out how to get to my external movie drive later on.

That just seems too damn confusing for tonight Smile

Thanks to all!
Looking forward to that one. I have atv2 with Eden. I have tried multiple ways. External drive gets recognized but then after set up, nothing opens/lists etc. Used smb and tried zeroconfig for AFP. AFP not able to be selected.
kealan Wrote:Sorry guys I cannot seem to get afp sharing from my Mac Pro to my ATV2. I have tried to follow the steps here but it won't import my library. It must be something to do with pathway I'm entering. I have afp sharing activated on my Mac Pro with the folders I want to share. For an example can someone please tell me how to share this folder through afp "/Users/bobkane/Movies/TV Shows". Thanks in advance.

When connecting to shares you would usually enter something like the below

afp://<computername>/<sharename>

In your case this would depend on what folde ryou've shared but almost certainly wouldn't include the /Users/bobkane part
Hiya all,
I understand getting XBMC to connect to the AFP is a bit tricky in the first place and i can just spend some time till it works, but when i did get it to work, my external HDD which is partioned into two sections " BACK UP" and "MEDIA", only showed the BACK UP section, is there a reason why the MEDIA partition won't show up ?

Both are FAT32
Back up section is 200GB
Media is 800gb ? Any ideas?
would really appreciate some help, can't see it being a problem at XBMCs end ?

Rory

EDIT : Also, I'm not sure wether it has any relevance but Media was set to a sharing folder in sharing preferences but backup was not and yet back up appeared and media did not ?
please ? anyone ?
Is there an option to set a higher connection-timeout for the AFP Client like for Samba?
For now, just use SMB Windows sharing if connecting directly to your external drive via Airport Extreme or whatever. Easy set up and it works fine. I think most are having problems with AFP. Not to dis XBMC ( which I use for all the great add-ons (PBS,Hulu, Icefilms etc.), but Media Player from Firecore for ATV2 Black accepts AFP clients with no problems.
Chrisiooo Wrote:Is there an option to set a higher connection-timeout for the AFP Client like for Samba?

nope ... i would have make this as a setting already if i had an option to do it already ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Star 
Hi,

After reading this thread and editing the sources.xml file directly (so much easier than using the remote) I was able to get my folders shared (after trial and error and a few crashes). I am NOT sharing specific folders from system preferences:Sharing:File Sharing as I've read from some of the posts here because I can navigate to the folders I want to share inside XBMC but, file sharing MUST be on.

Nerd Here's what my sources.xml paths looks like for those editing this file directly:

afp://username:[email protected]:548/username/Movies/TV/

1. Turn on File Sharing on your Mac (System Preferences:Sharing:FileSharing) You'll probably have your Public folder being shared already. *I have my shared box totally empty*

2. From your jailbroken Apple TV (of course) launch XBMC and select Videos:Files:Add Videos... Now move to the right to Browse for a new share. You want to select Zeroconf Browser so click it. Now if you remembered to turn on File sharing on your Mac, you'll see the name of your Mac like this --> *computer (AFP)* From here you should see the hard drives on your networked computer allowing you to work your way to your Movies, TV, etc. After you chose your folder note the path will be formatted as follows: afp://xxx.xxx.xxx:548/bob/Movies/TV Shows/

3. Set your content and chose the appropriate Scraper. You can run an automatic scan and if you have organized your movies into folders using the format: Movie Title (Year), you can use folder names for lookup (but you already have this info inside your folders, right?) Click okay. Repeat for more folders and you're done. Yay!

UNLESS, it didn't work Shocked. If you do have problems, you can edit the sources.xml file to add all of your shares by using Cyberduck to SSH into the Apple TV. When you've done that power off XBMC and perhaps restart your Apple TV. Go back to XBMC and try again until it's working.

If you don't know how to or want to edit the sources.xml file you can select you problem folder and hold the menu button until the menu pops up. Choose Edit Source and before your IP address, add your username and password which actually could have been done instead of going to Browse from step 2:

afp://username:[email protected]:548/username/Movies/TV/

Power down XBMC and perhaps restart your Apple TV and try again!

Right now it's working for me and I hope this helps. Cool

Happy XBMC on your ATV

bimism
Just wanted to point to this:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AFP

When using MacOSX and trying to share via AFP only HFS+ formatted drives are shared. There is no warning / nor an error message - it simply doesn't show up that shares then. This is the issue some users already have seen when trying to share FAT32 drives on lion via AFP.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
bimism Wrote:Hi,

After reading this thread and editing the sources.xml file directly (so much easier than using the remote) I was able to get my folders shared (after trial and error and a few crashes). I am NOT sharing specific folders from system preferences:Sharing:File Sharing as I've read from some of the posts here because I can navigate to the folders I want to share inside XBMC but, file sharing MUST be on.

bimism

Wow!!! thank you very much!! I just delete all the folders from the sharing box and now it works just fine, finally!!

You're welcome! Smile
Memphiz Wrote:sorry? what are you talking about?

Clever spambots that copy text from users who posted months ago. Makes it so that their random posts sound on-topic. He also had a 1px by 1px graphic that linked to a spam site, probably bumping google search results?
anyone know why sometimes my AFP shares work and sometimes they can't be found? no security settings or anything change. the only thing i can think of is that xbmc on my atv2 "loses" the share because sometimes it goes offline?

All of my videos are stored on my MBP which leaves the house daily...

help please!
(2012-04-14, 22:09)ruffellprefley Wrote: anyone know why sometimes my AFP shares work and sometimes they can't be found? no security settings or anything change. the only thing i can think of is that xbmc on my atv2 "loses" the share because sometimes it goes offline?

All of my videos are stored on my MBP which leaves the house daily...

help please!

The AFP client lib we use is buggy, and the people who originally developed it have abandoned that project. The biggest issue that I've seen is this sort of "cuts in and out" type thing that you've described. Sometimes it's not so bad, sometimes it drives one mad. There's not much we can do about it, since even improving that AFP client lib is now seen as a dead end. A replacement AFP client lib is something being sought out, but there is no ETA.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new AFPClient for iOS/OSX <--SOLUTION FOR LION USERS1