• 1(current)
Patch for recent dxva stutter/skip problem
I'd like feedback on a change that reverts part of the August 24 dxva changes.

There have been a few reports lately of stutter or frames dropped since the end of August and I hope this patch brings things back to normal. It restores the old behavior with a bit more safety.
It's not clear what hardware is affected, so the more information you can give, the better.

For the change, pull my restore-dxva-yuv-rt branch on github (git://github.com/CrystalP/xbmc.git)
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
A Windows build would be welcome if someone could compile please.
http://www.mediafire.com/?lpi7o7oh267zn0i
0wing Wrote:http://www.mediafire.com/?lpi7o7oh267zn0i

Thanks! I'll test it today.

@CrystalP: Do you want a full debug for the run? - I'll rewatch an episode I know I've felt the skips/drops earlier today with whatever nightly from September.
Might've been placebo effect but I haven't felt any of the weird stuttering (sure the source is a little crappy but I've expected those). Anyhow, here's my debug log - I guess the only missing info is that I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers.

Hope it helps!

http://pastebin.com/LdgX6zDF
Thanks for the testing, keep it coming guys! Yes the debug log is helpful.

GPU-Z may show a difference in GPU usage with/without the patch.
I'm particularly interested in test results for Ion (if it is affected ofc)
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
A few quick tests on different format videos and everything looks good so far.
One complete film watched without a hiccup. Big Grin

DxDiag

Anything else I need to do to help out?
Thanks. Would like to see a debug log, and keep an eye out for the problem in case it's just hiding Smile

I'll merge the patch in master in a few days if I receive more feedback that this is the correct fix.
I will definitely give this a try on my Revo 1600. I have been tearing my hair out trying to decide between an early July build (July 9th I believe) with smooth video playback, but occasional crashing/hanging and a more recent build which produces stuttery playback, but no crashing. Hopefully this will be the first step in a complete solution. I'll report back.
hi all. I have been having a stuttering problem on the nightlies for some time now. have just tried the updated windows build compiled by 0wing above and unfortunately it does not fix my issue (although I think my problem may be slightly different as the stats actually show dropped frames on mine - dont think it was for some people). It seems that at the time of the dropped frames the sound error % goes crrrrrazy jumping all over the place and then dropped frames happen. The video fps also jumps all over the place.

I have rolled back to an old backup (mid-julyish and it is working absolutely fine with 0 dropped frames so definately an XBMC issue in the later nightlies). Will certainly try and get a log up as soon as possible but with a two year old running round, shopping to do etc. not as easy as it sounds. Will try and sort something out this evening.

systeminfo: Windows 7, Acer Revo (ION)
It's still happening for me unfortunately but there's a definite link to the 'missed' stat in the video diagnostic information.

When I start a video (at any point) this stat just keeps on counting up and occasionally frames will get dropped but, and this is important part, if I pause/play or jump anywhere the 'missed' stat stops counting and then there's no more dropped frames.

This explains why my previous report everything appeared to be OK because I was skipping to certain parts in test videos and I paused the movie at the start until my son joined me.

I'll get some debug logs alter today.
@ Cyberkid2002

Can you link the build you're using for me to test please?

Thanks.
It's better with 0wing's build but not perfect. Something wrong with dxva renderer. I stay with software rendering until it's fixed.
I'm having lots of frame skipping and stuttering on the latest nightly build

XBMCSetup-20110910-34a8ccb-master.log

I can't test the behavior of he build posted by 0wing because I can't enable deinterlacing when DXVA2 is in use. It seems to work ok when I use software.

XBMCSetup-20110909-fa79f61-dx-restore-dxva-yuv-rt.log
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Patch for recent dxva stutter/skip problem0