smb:// source path settings in skins
I'm searching for a way to set the path to an smb:// share for lets say background images. Now we can only select a local disk or a mapped network drive.
Is this possible for skins?
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Is this possible or should is it best to create a trac ticket for this?
it's not possible, so trac would be the way forward.

+1 on this btw.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
+1! Would be good to have this and the special:// protocol supported everywhere, where files/paths are used.
Walter Sobchak Wrote:+1! Would be good to have this and the special:// protocol supported everywhere, where files/paths are used.

With filebrowser you can select 'homefolder'. This does contain most of the specials (correct.me if i'm wrong).

Could you give an example for the special:// protocol?
May help to support the ticket request.
Any CC's for the ticket?
Why don't you add the smb share to your sources and use the source as path? If you use a smb:// as path, it may have to connect everytime which would be awfully slow if you're trying to load images from there.
`Black Wrote:Why don't you add the smb share to your sources and use the source as path? If you use a smb:// as path, it may have to connect everytime which would be awfully slow if you're trying to load images from there.

I have added some sources in file manager but they don't show. It only shows local (+mapped drives in Windows) and home folder. While in browser there's no possibility to add a source.

For example in Aeon Nox to use clearart/clearlogo for music you have to set the location. My music is located on an smb:// including the images. So while playing music the speed isn't really a problem. Same for other skin features.
Don't know about nfs:// (+other) shares but the same would apply.
The screenshot path has the option to set a share location.

For less experienced users it would a bit easier to chose directly instead of a workaround.
Where do you have to set the location for clearart in Aeon Nox? Did a quick check but didn't find the setting. I'm pretty sure that all sources are available in filebrowser, at least that's how it's for me on Windows & OS X.

Edit: Ok, I see. If it's a set image/path/file dialog, there are only local files visible... maybe for performance reasons but I think it would be nice to allow users to browse network shares, too.
Machine-Sanctum Wrote:With filebrowser you can select 'homefolder'. This does contain most of the specials (correct.me if i'm wrong).

Could you give an example for the special:// protocol?
May help to support the ticket request.
Any CC's for the ticket?

I meant inside the skin files. I am not sure if we can use the special protocol there everywhere, where a file is used (texture for instance).
Trac Ticket created:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11961

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
smb:// source path settings in skins0