[AppleTV2] Help adding sources via SMB
I apologize upfront for how ignorant this post is going to make me sound, and, because i don't think this is a bug, just my ineptitude, i am not going to include things like debug logs (unless someone thinks i should).

i am having trouble adding sources for my videos. i have read every manual i can find, every faq, and every time i browse for sources i get "error 2: share not available". i am running xbmc on an apple tv2. i installed it using atv flash (because it was so easy). ios 4.3 build 8f455. xbmc version PRE-11.0 compiled june 23 2011.

my movies are on a network drive in a folder named "movies". file sharing is turned on. Workgroup is WORKGROUP on both the drive and xbmc settings. Wins server is blank on both.

i have also tried to add sources by manually entering the path (ipaddress/drivename/folder and get the same error, or a message that the device is not available on the network.

It also appears that now the "add sources" option under "Videos/files has vanished.

i realize i am in way over my head with xbmc, but it seems like such a robust program, and a noble effort, that i would like to be able to use it. any light someone could shed would be appreciated.
I added all mine manully in the Source file located at
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

It should look something like this

<video>
<default pathversion="1"></default>
<source>
<name>Stand Up Comedy</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://(enter your server name here)/(Movie Folder name/</path>
</source>
</video>

When I had problems I disabled my firewall aswell just to cut that out of teh equation Hope this Helps.
Ram2000 Wrote:I added all mine manully in the Source file located at
/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata

It should look something like this

<video>
<default pathversion="1"></default>
<source>
<name>Stand Up Comedy</name>
<path pathversion="1">smb://(enter your server name here)/(Movie Folder name/</path>
</source>
</video>

When I had problems I disabled my firewall aswell just to cut that out of teh equation Hope this Helps.

i'm assuming i do this using terminal. could i do the same thing using cyberduck?

it does seem like a pain compared to being able to just browse to the source and play files from a list of movies living on the source, but thanks for taking the time to suggest a solution. i'm pretty frustrated and will try anything.
If you can't browse to a smb share on your windows box, it would seem you either have a networking or file sharing configuration problem.

Grant permissions for Everyone on the share and make sure they propagate to subfolders. Enable the guest account until you get it working properly then you can add usernames and passwords to your source later.

Failing that please provide log files.

Edit: for the add sources being missing, go into the movies/files entry and select the up .. up level entry. It remembers the last position you were in a menu and goes back there.
g-off Wrote:If you can't browse to a smb share on your windows box, it would seem you either have a networking or file sharing configuration problem.

Grant permissions for Everyone on the share and make sure they propagate to subfolders. Enable the guest account until you get it working properly then you can add usernames and passwords to your source later.

Failing that please provide log files.

Edit: for the add sources being missing, go into the movies/files entry and select the up .. up level entry. It remembers the last position you were in a menu and goes back there.

Also check any firewall settings you have on the box your sharing from. If its windows also check what you have designated your network as (ie trusted / public etc)
i honestly do not know how i did it, but i think a combination of everyone's advice did the trick. i think what did it was enabling guest access on the router, then manually entering the path using guest as the username. many thanks again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Help adding sources via SMB0