unable to play files with umlaut
Hi guys,

first of all, thanks you very much for yourbwork. XBMC is by far the best mediacenter I ever used.

I recently found out, that xbmc (ios) is unable to play files, that have umlauts in their filename eg. I have an album of a German band called "Bläck Föös".
None of the titles are palyable. The filename is without Umlauts, the band name is embedded in the mp3 tags.
The same goes for a video from my satellite box "Späte Einsicht.ts"
XBMC on iOs fails playing those files, the win32 version plays the perfectly, using the same mysql database.

BTW this is no new issue, every nightly I tested has this problem.

Thanks for you support.
Umtauscher
I hate these fucking characters, have the same problem with my NAS in conjunction with SabNZB.
Wonder if there IS a solution other than renaming the crap files ;-)
umtauscher Wrote:Hi guys,

first of all, thanks you very much for yourbwork. XBMC is by far the best mediacenter I ever used.

I recently found out, that xbmc (ios) is unable to play files, that have umlauts in their filename eg. I have an album of a German band called "Bläck Föös".
None of the titles are palyable. The filename is without Umlauts, the band name is embedded in the mp3 tags.
The same goes for a video from my satellite box "Späte Einsicht.ts"
XBMC on iOs fails playing those files, the win32 version plays the perfectly, using the same mysql database.

BTW this is no new issue, every nightly I tested has this problem.

Thanks for you support.
Umtauscher

which protocol? did you test other protocols aswell?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

I didn't think it had to do anything with the protocol - I am using SMB- because :
a) The mp3 in question has the umlaut only in the tag and the filename is a simple 7bit ascii format
b) XBMC displays the umlaut characters without problem

So I don't think it has anything to do with the filesystem/protocol.
Should I test anyway?
mhhh ... need a log file ... first link in my sig...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Hope this helps. I just tried to play one of the mp3 in question. (22:35)
http://pastebin.com/H1xQ27S9

Cheers
Umtauscher
first of all check your advancedsettings.xml - it has some "
#	" in it - doesn't hurt i think but it looks garbled

and please remove (paplayer was fixed long time ago):

Code:
<audio>
    <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
</audio>

and test again. The problem doesn't seem to be the umlauts in the id3 tag - in the log there is allways a umlaut in either the foldername or the filename and they get "substituted" by "_" somehow...
Thanks,

I removed the umlaut in the filename and replaced it with"_" by hand. That was a long time ago. As I said, Win32 XBMC has no problems playing the file.
Is it normal that "_" gets replaced with %5f?
As I said earlier, I also had the problem with video files copied from my satellite receiver. They played immediately when I converted the 'ä' into 'ae' which doesn't get substituted at all.

Changing the player didn't help at all.

Where did you see any CRLFs? I cannot find them in my advancedsettings.xml

Any more ideas?
Cheers
Umtauscher
Sorry concerning the CRLF, they where only in the log, I already removed them.
Nevermind..
Ok, I have replaced the '_' with 'ae' and 'oe' and the file plays.
This is a workarround but not the proper way to fix it.

I found out another fact:
* A directory name with '_' leads to a library entry that throughs an error, when you try to play it
* a filename with '_' leads to a file that never gets entered into the library.

Thanks
Umtauscher
I'm confused now. Is this problem about "_" or about umlauts?
Can't reproduce. I've tried playing an mp3 which has both - umlauts in the filename and umlauts in the id3tag. I tried on NFS and SMB shares and it showed and played correctly... (tried both - with id3tag extraction turned on and off).

Sounds like there is something on your server side bashing with the umlauts? Or i didn't try the right thing - in that case please give a more exact reproduction description ...
Its because Steve jobs hates metal.Rolleyes
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
Memphiz Wrote:Can't reproduce. I've tried playing an mp3 which has both - umlauts in the filename and umlauts in the id3tag. I tried on NFS and SMB shares and it showed and played correctly... .

I'm sorry. I will test again and try to make a proper test case.
i'm on a business trip at the moment, so it will take a few days.
Thanks again for your support.
Cheers
Umtauscher

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unable to play files with umlaut0