• 108(current)
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
Hi its everything! I'm also having trouble accessing TVDB, perhaps its a problem with them? Tried manual search and got nothing also.

BB
I managed to make the multi episode work using the following syntax: "1x01x02"!

I still have 2 minors problems:
- Sometimes (not all the time) ViMediaManager doesn't recognize multi-episodes. The nfo file is created as it should, the thumb is loaded but it doesn't display the location of the episode in the episode pane. It's like both of the episodes aren't present. Not a big deal since XBMC recognize the nfo file and find the multi-episode location.
- I have a problem for series containing an X in the name ("Dexter", "Kyle XY") I think the problem is that the parsing thinks that the x is preceded by a season number and followed by an episode number, 2 numbers that won't be find.
@BillyBunter: If you can't access the TVDB through a browser, ViMM most likely won't be able to access it either.

@Darkheir:
- The episodes manager might not recognize the 1x01x02 syntax.
- If you're using the latest version, ViMM should search for [0-9]x[0-9][0-9], if there's letters instead of numbers it shouldn't recognize it as s01e01etc.
What exactly is the nature of this problem? it doesn't rename episodes correctly? or doesn't download the .nfo file at all? you sure it's only and all the 'x' shows that are responding to this problem?
ViMediaManager - The Best Media Manager for macOS
(2013-07-18, 11:30)MariusTh86 Wrote: - The episodes manager might not recognize the 1x01x02 syntax.
- If you're using the latest version, ViMM should search for [0-9]x[0-9][0-9], if there's letters instead of numbers it shouldn't recognize it as s01e01etc.
What exactly is the nature of this problem? it doesn't rename episodes correctly? or doesn't download the .nfo file at all? you sure it's only and all the 'x' shows that are responding to this problem?

- The problem come also with the syntax "S01E01E02" so I don't think it's related.
- I can tell for sure the problem come from the "x" in the title of the serie, but I have 70 Series and only 2 have the problem. Both of them have an X in the name and are the only ones with it. The nfo file isn't downloaded at all!

The version I use is the 0.7a10c.
Dear MariusTh86,

I am grateful for your post #1602, thoroughly answering every aspect of my previous post #1600. I can also see you are absolutely aware of what is going on and will work on tackling the issues and improving ViMM. I have just made a small donation to the cause to encourage you and your team to keep the good work.

I have written down some additional behaviours I have observed in ViMM that I would like to share with you:
I) Issue with titles
Metadata update results in ViMM swapping around title ($T) and original title ($O), besides rewriting the NFO in this way, when it should be the other way around. This shows the users the original titles as titles and titles as original titles, e.g., the movie "Lo Imposible" [original title in spanish] appears as title, and its translated title to english, "The Impossible" (2012), appears as original title. Should be the other way around, right? In the image below you can see the same behaviour with the Movie title "My Friend Totoro".

Sort title is being written OK to the NFO and to the folders or files, if asked that way on preference pane, and it seems it is correctly using whatever the metadata update specifies as "title". However, since there is this "swapping of titles" taking place, it is really sorting using the original title as title name. Do you see the problem here? This needs fix for folder indexing purposes, and most important, for these fields could be written, accordingly to what is going on in the internet databases (TMDB, IMDB, etc.), to the local NFO files so XBMC can refresh this info, and show the right titles on the library view and work properly in case of re-scrapping via internal add-on. Do you agree with this? I think one should be able to choose what combination of bigger print (black) and smaller print (grey) one wants ViMM to show for the movie info: Title (black) & original title (grey) or the opposite, as well as being able to chose to sort by title or original title.

II) Blu-Ray recognition issues
1) BDMV Folder: labelled with Blu-Ray flag on user interface; no NFO written to movie folder.
2) Blu-Ray ISO: not labelled with Blu-ray or any other flag for audio, video codec, etc.., but rating flag; NFO written to folder but without any "video source field" in it. I believe VMM can't mount image to read the ISO structure? In this case, wouldn't be a fair option to have VMM reading a parameter explicitly written on the file itself confirming it is a Blu-ray?
3) Blu-Ray video file (mkv, m2ts, etc…): not labelled with Blu-Ray flag; NFO written with proper "Video Source" filed to "Blu-Ray".

III) Triggering a refresh on XBMC
What happens after the metadata has been set properly through ViMM? Well, wouldn't be nice and utterly useful to trigger a refresh for all titles in XBMC (not an update of library) from within VMM! Thus, XBMC would read the new NFOs and proceed to feed the display with all the updated data as one browses through the libraries. As I am setting up just 10 titles I am constantly triggering a refresh for each movie in XBM'c library to see what of all the things I did with ViMM is really taking place in XBMC and what isn't. It is a constant process that takes a ridiculous amount of time compared to setting things in ViMM, that I very much would like to be able to avoid by just clicking somewhere in ViMM, and voila. Unfortunately XBMC doesn't have a 1-click-refresh-all-titles option.

IV) Audio Channels (clarification)
Have you intended the command $A to write on the name of the video file the TOTAL number of channels available, or the speaker set-up the channels available are for? This information will help me understand what I am actually knowing from looking at the written name on the file. If you intended the former, then it would be useful the availability of a command to show the speaker set-up, because then I'd know how many Primary Channels and Low Frequency Channels (LFC) I exactly have. This is quite useful specially with more complicated set-ups such as the next generation 10.2. TrueHD. In the meantime of course I can append a ".1" after $F, no worries, however it will be confusing for less than 3 channels.

V) Option for direct editing of online databases
This is something that I am sure many would love to see implemented one day. Within the global community of users of metadata there are many who take the time to add a new movie, collection (set) or TV show, or edit certain things that aren't quite right. This is a real pain and it's time-consuming. Many don't even bother to do it after they have set up their own titles with a media manager. Once everything is fed in-house, there are no more headaches but there is no contribution to the world and no ongoing updating. Online editing also comes with the impossibility to see the immediate results via scrapping, with the excpeyion of TVDB. In the case of TMDB it could take days. That puts most people off that duty. If ViMM could work out an agreement with these databases so in certain cases one could upload a title correctly formatted as a means of a reverse feedback. That would be amazing.

All best,
CF
Hi again capfuturo,

Thanks once more for your generous donation! I take great pride in answering everyone's questions to the best of my abilities!
Just as a note, I'm the only developer on ViMM, and as you might have noticed by some of the 'instabilities' you've found, I'm still learning and growing as I contine on working making ViMediaManager the best media manager. Wink

I)
It's part of a feature, since you've set the 'Database Language' to 'UK English', ViMediaManager is prefering TMDb information that's been localized for that language over the american information, however I did make some mistakes, Tonari no Totoro should indeed have had title and original title swapped, since i accidentally skipped over using TMDb's 'Alternative Titles' to search 'GB''s title, and erroneously using 'EN' in a place where I should have used 'GB' to see that i shouldn't have used IMDb's title as 'original title'.
However, because of the changes needed to fix Totoro, 'Lo impossible' will end up using 'Lo impossible' as both 'title' and 'original title' due to using 'UK English' as the database language, and there being no 'GB' alternative localized title available.

Basically this is (some of) the information I'm getting from TMDb, the selections are the items that I'm using for the 'title' and 'original title':

I would suggest in the latter case to sign up for an account on www.tmdb.com and adding a alternative 'GB' localized title for 'Lo impossible'.

Anyway, I'll fix this right away, you can download the latest debugbuild to try it out from here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8j6ve2f4je6et/

II)
1) NFO is written inside the BDMV folder, for apparently that is the XBMC way.
2) ViMM can't read ISO files, RAR or ZIP files, since they're basically 'package files', I'm using 'mediainfo' to read a video file's media information, but package files are not video files, so there's nothing to read for me.
3) I'm not sure what you mean by this one, but you may be able to make use of the 'video source' field inside the metadata editor to denote whether a file comes from a Blu-Ray source.

III)
I believe XBMC is using some sort of 'JSON-RPC' interface for this, however I've not done all that much research into how to interact with it, at least, not yet. Wink
Maybe around when v1.0 comes along i'll be able to spend some time on this.

IV)
$A is actually the 'AudioCodec' (mp3/AAC/..), $F stands for the total number of audio channels available, which means that when you have 6 audio channels, it's used for a '5.1' surround sound set-up, and 10.2 would actually be 12 channels I believe.

V)
ViMM is used to edit your local movie database/collection, so I won't be syncing your localized information back up to the databases, since I can't make the difference between a user's personal preferences, localisation traits, or other personalized changes that only count for that one person, and information that might need to be put back on a server.
I'm also not very well versed in 'uploading' information, just downloading it so far. Wink

For now if people want to adjust the online databases, I can only suggest they click on the movie database link in the 'summary' pane of the metadata editor to go directly to their movies on their respective databases, and edit them there using the official channels, it's indeed a shame when people don't bother with this when they find something out of order, but in most cases I've found the information to be pretty correct.

With kind regards,
Vidal van Bergen.
Dear Vidal,

That is most rewarding, to be developing this yourself. Two thumbs up for that!

I) Movie titles
Latest build 0.7α10i fixed the issue indeed, and the expected behaviour regarding "Lo Impossible" presented itself just as you predicted. I understood where all this was coming from and therefore decided to switch to U.S. English... so far so good. I love to have the original titles for foreign movies, such as my collection of Japanese (romanised titles), Latin or Russian movies, but I want them to appear as original, not as main title, and now is working well. Thanks!
II) NFO & Media Flags
1) Yep, just checked and the NFO was inside BDMV folder!
2) Got it. Maybe the inclusion of a ISO icon and a ISO media flag could be helpful? That way one can immediately see it is actually a movie contained within an ISO and proceed to manually specify certain basic media info such as the source, and if somehow implemented within WiMedia info pane, some extras such as image quality and audio channels?
3) As you said, I found the source-definition drop-down menu at the bottom of the Information pane and that did the trick to define Blu-Ray or HDTV sources and write that label to the NFO files and file names. However, despite explicitly telling ViMM the source type, the Blu-Ray or HDTV red flags (right side, bottom) and tiny icons (left side) just don't show up on the main pane for any of the movies, except for the one with a BDMV folder, the latter happens by default, without me selecting the Blu-Ray source actually. Is this all this an expected behaviour (missing flags) or am I missing an option somewhere to make these flags appear?
III) I'll then light a candle when v1.0 comes to life!
IV) I think so too, sometimes even 14 channels.

New Observations
1) Not present in this build: The path bar at the bottom of the window. Where has it gone? It is most useful and allows me to dispense with unnecessary extra finder windows, and bring them up right from the bottom bar only if needed and at the specific clicked folder. Is there an option to bring the bar back?
2) Menu actions dead on this build (don't know about the previous one): Customise Toolbar; Delete TV Show keeping the files (only removing TV Shows main folder from ViMM took care of deleting, not THE show but all of them).
3) How do you select multiple titles to apply a particular operation on them at once? E.g., delete them, fetch metadata or update them, label them as watched, or with a particular source or common media characteristic.
4) TV Show Preferences Pane: Folder renaming pattern is a nice option, however and since this field refers only to the TV Show folder's name, if one puts any tag here in addition to the strict name ($T) appearing on TVDB, the show won't get scraped, for it MUST match the exact online name. Perhaps this simple, and somehow strict naming convention, has been causing trouble to some users? Now, the season folders CAN have tags added after the season # without affecting the scrape. It would be desirable then the addition of a Season Folder Renaming Pattern, so one could make use of the renaming tags, that can't be used on the main Folder Folder Renaming Pattern (at least for TVDB compatibility; don't know about other data bases) to show useful information such as the number of episodes for each season and the year or range of years that each season was on air, right there appended to the Season's folder name: Season $S ($Y) - [total # episodes for the season].
5) Naming Convention: Just to confirm to other users, my TV Shows using the naming convention [$N.S$0̷SE$0̷E.$T] which should look like: [name of TV Show].S#E#.[name of episode] have been working like a charm with ViMedia Manager. Episodes are in subfolder with naming as follows: Season # (the year or range of years for the season) - [Total # of episodes].

Example:
Main Folder TV Show name: Shadow Warriors
Season subfolder name: Season 1 (1980) - 27 episodes
Episode name: Shadow.Warriors.S01E01.Tigers.Sharpen.Their.Claws.in.a.Storm.avi

Best wishes,

CF
II)
2) I'll look into this and see what I can come up with.
3) The mini-icons in the media list that show if a movie is a DVD or BluRay is determined by using either VIDEO_TS or BDMV folders, I haven't yet adapted it to look at the 'video source' tag, so currently it's expected behavior.
IV) seeing that I'm only getting the channel count myself through 'mediainfo', I'm afraid i can't do much here, even the channels in the main display are sort of guessed. (is that 6 channels? make that 5.1!)

New:
1) The path bar is only available in the 'Cocoa' build, which is faster and retina ready, but also has a bit of a memory leak when fetching information for a lot of movies at once using 'Fetch Metadata' for 'All items without metadata', the 'intel' version works fine with the except same code, so I'm not sure why this is happening, hopefully i'll be able to work this out by v0.8, and except for that issue I do recommend using the cocoa build in general.
2) I'm working on the ability for users to customize the toolbar, hopefully this'll be ready in v0.8. I'm not sure what you mean with the second part.
3) Technically, you don't, until recently I wasn't sure how to get all the selected items from a multi-selection list, but I'm also planning on working on this for v0.8.
4 & 5) Renaming the TV Show folders shouldn't be much of an issue, if you use the 'strict' name first to download the initial information, the show folder can be named anything, and ViMediaManager will use the .nfo file to look up additional information from then on, it'll only become an issue if a user decides to remove the .nfo file or re-scrape from scratch to find the modified title.
XBMC can use the 'Season ##' folder names to determine an episodes season number, like say, someone uses a set-up like this:

TV Show
Season 01
01 - Pilot.mkv
02 - second episode.avi

Which probably doesn't make it a good idea to add extra numbers to the season folder name, and possibly confuse XBMC when there are no episode.nfo files available, it is an interesting idea though, and you can use the 'Episodes' toolbar button to get an overview of a tv show's seasons, number of episodes per season, and even the number of unwatched episodes if you keep up your 'watched episodes' status.

6+) v0.8 will be sort of a re-write of ViMM in which i'll apply all that I've learned and more to make ViMM as great as possible! I've got some incredible things planned to make ViMM easier and more fun to use, and I hope that they'll all work out as I imagine them, but since it's going to be rewritten, it'll also be taking some time before it's done, and I still need to do some planning on some of the new layout and other ideas.

So everyone, bear with me as I continue working on making ViMediaManager the best media manager! Wink

With kind regards,
Vidal van Bergen.
Good morning MariusTh86,

All checked, thanks!... and we will bear with you so this could become the greatest Media Manager one day!

Answers from -New-:
1) Installed cocoa version again and is OK. I know that the sudden crashes and hangs will get fixed eventually in further iterations. I know you are working on that and I thank you for letting us all know about the progress and project schedule.
2) I mean when I press the minus sign at the left bottom of main pane, so I can delete a show or movie, it presents me with a drop down window asking whether I want to keep the files or send 'em to the bin. I select keep the files, but the show or movie still appears on the left column of the main pane. Then I do a refresh (update list) thinking in that this would finally remove the deleted items from the main pane, but it didn't. It only removes the items after I removed the whole source (folder) from preferences and then trigger an update list on main pane. ThoughtsHuh

New Observations
1) 720 resolution icon: What the 720-resolution icon option at the very bottom of the Extras tab on preferences pane isfor and what does it refer to? Under what circumstances shall I check it?

Best,

CF
Big Grin 
Good morning MariusTh86,

All checked, thanks!... and we will bear with you so this could become the greatest Media Manager one day!

Answers from -New-:
1) Installed cocoa version again and it's going OK. I know that the sudden crashes and hangs will get fixed eventually in further iterations. I know you are working on that and I thank you for letting us all know about the progress and project schedule.
2) I mean when I press the minus sign at the left bottom of main pane, so I can delete a show or movie, it presents me with a drop down window asking whether I want to keep the files or send 'em to the bin. I select keep the files, but the show or movie still appears on the left column of the main pane. Then I do a refresh (update list) thinking in that this would finally remove the deleted items from the main pane, but it didn't. It only removes the items after I removed the whole source (folder) from preferences and then trigger an update list on main pane. ThoughtsHuh

New Observations
1) 720 resolution icon: What the 720-resolution icon option at the very bottom of the Extras tab on preferences pane is for/what does it refer to? Under what circumstances shall I check it?

2) Option to undo changes done by fetching on a per-file basis and for all at once: The first step after setting a movie folder in ViMM, is to try find the movies online and fetch metadata. The difficulty here results from the fact that ViMM writes the metada obtained from fetching, replacing the name of each movie folder (and its movie file too if the option is selected) with the newly found. The only current resource to quickly tell if the metada fetching has thrown wrong results, is to do a visual comparison between the new movie title and year, and the ones appearing on the video file, which is why the bottom path bar is so useful. If they don't match or if some extra wrong metadata is present, such as wrong poster or actor names or plot, then I would like to have a way to revert what the fetching did to that file in particular, with just a click. It could speed up the whole process of setting up the library by many times. And if not possible, then at list a way to visually mark that movie as wrong metadata (in big letters or strong colours) and again, with just a click. This way every time I see a sign saying for instance "wrong metadata" for a movie, I know it needs to be reviewed some other day to manually input the info locally or online on the databases. Same for those movies whose metadata wasn't found at all: a big sign saying "Not Found", likewise when you want people to notice something that could be useful to them, such as in real state, they use a big "FOR SALE" and in strong colours.

Best,

CF
answers
2) The dialog is basically a vaguely worded 'Cancel/OK' dialog, asking whether you're sure you want to delete the files, or change your mind and keep them after all, making no changes.

New Observations
1) It's to show the mini-icon for resolution in the media list in the main display (Look at the column name), there's 'SD', 'HD', '720p' and '1080p' icons, but i could only show one in the list, so i choose the 720p icon.
2) 'Undo' is probably going to be impossible, but I may be able to give a list of alternative possibilities for fetching rather then do the actual fetching when there's more then 1 result for an item, and i'll likely show a list of which items couldn't be found at all as well at the end of a 'mass fetch'.
the items that aren't found are already 'grayed out' in a manner, so it should be pretty obvious which ones couldn't be found. (Sort by 'Watched status' for movies to see which ones couldn't be found.)
I just uninstalled Vi (with AppZapper) after it crashed, and failed to launch successfully since. Re-ran it, setting everything back up again, then it had to shut down. This was the last output in Console:

7/20/13 10:30:11.220 PM ViMediaManager: kCGErrorIllegalArgument: CGSOrderWindowList: NULL list pointer or empty list

Re-opened it, and again, it freezes cause me to force quit. Any suggestions?
You might try:

Reset preferences
It may occasionally be necessary to reset your preferences to resolve an issue. To do this, close the program and delete the following file:
/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Preferences/com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager-alpha.plist
The file will be recreated when ViMM is restarted.

Reset application
To completely reset the application to factory-fresh condition, in addition to discarding your preferences file as described above, also trash (but save your ‘Studios’ folder if you made one):
/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/ViMediaManager
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Thanks. I backed all of those up prior to completely trashing the app the first time.

I feel like there is a title in my library that is breaking Vi, as its been crashing on the same error. I'll try to figure out what it is.
man this media manager is AWESOME!! just uploaded all 640 movies of mine to it and said fetch metadat, and it sems to be amazing!!

way damn faster than metaX from mac! hopefully just as good too?

with meta x that app actually wrights to the file, so all meta data becomes part of the movie somehow, not w extra folders, but hell this app is AWESOME MAN!!

also like the folder because now i can add subtitles to each movie, or tv series

now w everymovie in a folder, will it still play just as easily on xbmc or plex server? or everytime i choose a movie will i have to open that folder, in order to get to the movie?

also does it allow sub title downloading as well ?
  • 108(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!19