• 7(current)
OS X ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!
Tiny Clanger Wrote:It crashes on startup every time I add my Movies folder.

Crash log is at http://pastebin.com/DEbVTw32 and the com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.xml is at http://pastebin.com/kdKvwics.

The media1 filesystem is mounted over NFS from a Drobo FS.

The screenshots look really nice — but that's all I get to see of most of the program…

(Incidentally, right-clicking on the toolbar does nothing. As I usually set toolbars to small icons, this is a bit of an annoyance — I'd also like to be able to customise the layout. Bit of a lower priority request than the crash, though Wink)
Thanks!

Thanks for including the files, how many movies are on your drive?
I'll be looking into a more native toolbar which supports settings.

Also, could you try downloading 0.5b5 from here:
https://github.com/vidalvanbergen/ViMedi.../downloads
Go to it's preferences and uncheck the option "Show status in list" before adding movies and see if it still crashes?
If it stops crashing, the problem might be with an existing NFO file if you've previously used other media managers that is either incompatible somehow, or possibly it can't read the NFO file fast enough and add some it's data to the list.
ViMediaManager - The Best Media Manager for macOS
hey

hate to say it, but still no improvement when using a NAS and Movies folder witb b7.

Strangely the Series Folder works fine.

hope it helps

Cheers
To you the same experiment DrPepper, would you download beta 5 from my previous post and follow those steps as well?
I was so busy messing around with simple testing that I forgot to mention this:

My display doesn't show everything in the window properly. Example:

OS X 10.7.1 (Lion)
MacBook Pro 15 (2011 version, so ATI graphics)

No matter how I resize it, I don't see all the graphics. However, as I resize, I can see the textwrapping adjust where words are displayed; so that portion is working still.

This isn't a huge issue to me as I'm mostly concerned about getting the pictures all set. However, it does make checking the current pictures a little more work Wink
That's pretty odd, could you try quitting the app, removing the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.xml and try again?
MariusTh86 Wrote:That's pretty odd, could you try quitting the app, removing the preferences in ~/Library/Preferences/com.vidalvanbergen.vimediamanager.xml and try again?

Oddly, that worked. Although the only thing I see different is that my old one had the IMDB scraper tag in there. The new one does not. But some slight testing showed that wasn't the main issue. I took that line out of the old xml, and the program still shows partial display. I also noticed that I couldn't load the preferences anymore (under the "bad" xml).
I messed with the nswindowmain tag a bit and briefly had it display properly, but then when it couldn't find one of my locations (nas at home, i'm currently not there), it popped up preferences and caused the issue again.

Not sure if that helps to potentially prevent the issue, but at least it's solved for me. Obviously re-doing preferences in a final product wouldn't be ideal though. Still, I'm glad it works now.

If you have anything you want me to test in regard to this, just let me know.

Quick update: it appears to happen because I had only one source for movies listed, but didn't have access to that source. It fails, brings up preferences, the display is adjusted, i close preferences and it fails again (since the path is still invalid), then closes preferences.
I've been vaguely aware of this problem. ^^;

It's mainly caused by the screen painting the window only half way or something, before it stops because it pops up an error that a location can't be found, and it only happens if the error message comes at the start up of the program.
Usually this is resolved by removing the missing location, and restart the application.
Ideally one would only have to remove the missing location and not have to go through restarting the app...
MariusTh86 Wrote:I've been vaguely aware of this problem. ^^;

It's mainly caused by the screen painting the window only half way or something, before it stops because it pops up an error that a location can't be found, and it only happens if the error message comes at the start up of the program.
Usually this is resolved by removing the missing location, and restart the application.
Ideally one would only have to remove the missing location and not have to go through restarting the app...

Yep, I was just updating my post with info along those same lines. At least you're aware of the details already. I'll move on...
i814u2 Wrote:Yep, I was just updating my post with info along those same lines. At least you're aware of the details already. I'll move on...

Thanks for the feedback though! guess it's not just my problem Wink
Another quick test: SMB vs AFP

I'll be interested to see if DrPepper's troubles go away when NFO files are not loaded.
(incidentally, MariusTh86, maybe adding a "debug" mode that doesn't load NFO files when you run by Shift+double-clicking, or similar, would be handy. I have other ideas for "debug" features as well, such as automatically saving a debug log to the desktop and maybe even showing the time it took to load a list so you know if something is normal or not)

I just loaded my active collection, with b7, over both AFP (my normal method) and SMB. It was pretty quick both ways, and both ways worked just fine. I have 247 movies in the folder currently on my NAS (homemade, runs Ubuntu server, everything configured by myself, nothing really tweaked yet). It took only a few seconds to load the list.

So far b7 is working pretty nicely for me. One feature request would be to show thumbnails of the downloaded artwork so we could see more at a time. then if you picked one you could see it larger before choosing it, or just pick it and save it. Regardless, it would still be handy to see the resolution specs when you pick an item in that scenario.
Another: The list should show the title, but be sorted by the sorttitle. That's how XBMC works and that's how I had expected this to work but it shows the sorttitle as well. Not a huge deal but instead of sets, I've taken to sorting certain things (such as the Harry Potter series) by simply adding a number after the title. In the HP case, I had something such as harry potter 01 harry potter 02, etc. but to know which is which when viewing in ViMM, I had to also re-add the titles so I didn't have to click on each one.
Sorry, one more: I personally don't like the added display-case look for the poster images. I would prefer to not see it, so an option would be nice. At the same time, more and more options aren't always a great thing. So if I had to cast a vote, it would be to simply display the image as is, no modification.
A debug mode might be helpful, especially at this early stage where a bunch of errors are still cropping up. Wink

I guess the faux DVD case isn't very accurate anyhow, so I might just remove it in favor of showing the picture a little more. I'll think about it.

When downloading images i'd also like to show of a list of preview images, something like Ember, the current solution was simply the easiest to manage for now.

When you're using sort title as such, it does make more sense to show title, and it makes sense to use sort title for sorting titles rather then for displaying them. I'll try it out.
I see bugs are running away in fear :-) Great work.

Some suggestions:

- Icons (grid) view could be very useful.
- An option to define what will be scraped. I do not use all of those banner, landscape, so an option to turn those off and leave only what I need would speed up app, save the bandwidth (both mine and metadata provider's)

Thanks.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

Initially I build this project just for the images, so I'm surprised to hear that someone wants to use it without them. Wink
But it's a valid option that may be useful, so I think I can put it in.
@MariusTh86 , it also crashes with b5. just tried that out.

Cheers

DrP
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ViMediaManager - Media Manager for Mac OS X!19