[HELP] Any QNAP owners using Shared Database?
As the heading says, is anyone using shared database between multiple xbmc installations with a QNAP device as the database?

Can you point me to some info to wrap my head around the whole idea? I've never had anything to do with MySQL or databases before.

Even if you don't own a QNAP but can give me some info on the whole subject of XBMC database sharing I'd really appreciate it. I'm short on time and it can be hard to sift through all the junk to get the best info.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
lifehacker had a good article...i haven't tried because my upstairs one has some non-child-safe content that I don't want downstairs (I saw we can do profiles on ios now but I haven't set that up yet)

I'm not sure if there's a gui for mysql (e.g. Synology has a phpmyadmin add-on for quick-install) or if you'll need to ssh in and command line the code
barrmy Wrote:lifehacker had a good article...i haven't tried because my upstairs one has some non-child-safe content that I don't want downstairs (I saw we can do profiles on ios now but I haven't set that up yet)

I'm not sure if there's a gui for mysql (e.g. Synology has a phpmyadmin add-on for quick-install) or if you'll need to ssh in and command line the code

Thanks Barmy. I actually found that article, I'll work through it, was just worried it was a bit old.

I guess I'll just wiki the individual components and get a grasp of the system a bit. Blah, more learning to do Wink

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Hi Cranial,

I'm running with the following at the moment:

ATV2 with a nightly build from a few months ago in need of an update (whenever I can get the other half to stop watching Charmed for a while)

Acer Aspire Revo R3610 using an XBMCfreak livecd install on an SDHC card.

QNAP TS410 (Arm based unit) running MySQL, Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and Couch Potato. All the media is hosted on this as well.

At the moment, only the ATV2 is using the MySQL database on the QNAP as I've not yet bothered to go through and confirm what version of DB my XBMCfreak install is expecting.

Happy to share my experiences from a QNAP perspective. There is an qpkg available from QNAP for phpMyAdmin which allows you to admin/setup MySQL databases. I used this to do the DB setup stuff (it helps that my day job is dealing with commercial db systems running SQL Server/Oracle so this was pretty straightforward Big Grin ).
I am also using a QNAP-410 with the MySQL database, can send you a dump if you like.

Also using a NFS share for the thumbnails and working like a charm with nightly on tav, iPad en iMAC. Using the iMac for updates, changes etc.
Cranial Wrote:Even if you don't own a QNAP but can give me some info on the whole subject of XBMC database sharing I'd really appreciate it. I'm short on time and it can be hard to sift through all the junk to get the best info.

Its all pretty straight forward stuff, you create a database, create a user, give user permissions for that database, then point XBMC at the database, using your created user as the login

You'll find million and one howtos on setting up your db and user and probably 3/4 of those howtos will use phpmyadmin.
Previous posts have suggested you have access to phpmyadmin on the QNAP, my suggestion is first step learn about phpmyadmin, its a great simple web interface that will do everything you need to do
Dunno if you used the search facility but...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=869902&postcount=2

And if you look at his blog I think there is even I guide Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HELP] Any QNAP owners using Shared Database?0