Beer's unRAID Server
Beer40oz Wrote:Another interesting question I have.

Say you have your unRAID build going..... your parity and everything is set up.... now you go buy this hard drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822145475

now what if it's bigger then your parity drive? then what? can you still use it?

You need to do a parity swap. Replace parity with the new drive then the old parity can become a data drive:
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=14509.0
smiffy1989 Wrote:Your drive that appears smaller could have HPA on it. Has it been used with a GigaByte mobo?

Nope no HPA on any of them... they have been checked. Good point that you point that you brought that up since yes two of them where hooked up to a gigabyte mobo before.... but I found out that "Backup BIOS Image to HDD: DISABLED" in the bios and also there is a program that can tell you if you have HPA on them. Here is that program.
T800 Wrote:You need to do a parity swap. Replace parity with the new drive then the old parity can become a data drive:
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...ic=14509.0

Oh ok.... so your parity drive always has to be bigger then any other hard drive or match it correct? Even if it's just by 100 Bytes....
Beer40oz Wrote:Any other HD's that are good besides caviar green? I don't mind trying something new.
Try Hitachi 5k3000 drives. I have two of them in my server waiting to be filled. They have been getting very good reviews over on the unraid forums.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Beer40oz Wrote:Oh ok.... so your parity drive always has to be bigger then any other hard drive or match it correct? Even if it's just by 100 Bytes....
Yes. That is the first commandment of unraid ... Thou parity drive shalt not be smaller than thou data drive.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:Try Hitachi 5k3000 drives. I have two of them in my server waiting to be filled. They have been getting very good reviews over on the unraid forums.

I been reading on it! they do sound pretty good. They are 1,953,514,552 in size correct? I will not install the caviar black and use this instead for just for data. I will install my new EARS for parity since it is bigger then all of them.
EndiSky Wrote:Do any of you actually use a cache drive? I don't can't really find a reason to justify installing one.
I personally would not install a cache drive just to get faster writes to my array. I just don't need that kind of performance out of a media server. Many users install a cache drive so that they can put applications like sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard, and others on it. I feel that is a good rationale for installing a cache drive.
Beer40oz Wrote:I been reading on it! they do sound pretty good. They are 1,953,514,552 in size correct? I will not install the caviar black and use this instead for just for data. I will install my new EARS for parity since it is bigger then all of them.
I cannot tell you the exact size of the drives, my memory is just not that good. I'll have to check that out at home tonight. I don't think I've ever had a problem with any of my drives being different than the others. But, like I told you before, I would have used the black drive for data anyways. Perhaps this is just unraid's way of telling you to listen to me! Laugh
Beer40oz Wrote:Some people have told me to use the 7200 for parity. By the way it was given to me so why not? Now I don't know if I will be able to use it since it's not the biggest drive of all 3... take a look. Drive E is the carviar black. Drive Y is EARS & Drive X is EADS

Now I find this weird how come a lot of EARS drives are 1,953,514,552 and mine says different? do not go by what windows says?

Here are some people with ears drives and there capacity:
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.p...c=2031.510

So are all my hard drives really 1,953,514,552? on the picture above?
I would not go by what you are seeing in windows. Your best bet is to check the drive size in unraid, but I don't think you have anything to be worried about. Here is a post where Joe L. - the father of unmenu and preclear and one of the most trusted members on the forums - indicates that for a given capacity class (eg. 500 GB, 1TB, 2TB, etc.) all drives should be the same size, regardless of mfg.
@wsume99 thanx again.... I might try to sell the caviar black then.... and will get a Hitachi 5k3000 (32MB Cache).... so you think the Hitachi 5k3000 will be best for a parity drive or the WD20EARS (64MB Cache)? I did notice that the caviar black does get hot.... hotter then a green drive.
Beer40oz Wrote:so you think the Hitachi 5k3000 will be best for a parity drive or the WD20EARS (64MB Cache)?
It will not make any difference at all. Use whichever one you want. Just make sure that you install the EARS drive with no jumpers and use the -A option on all your drives when preclearing. Also set the Default partition format: to MBR 4K-aligned. IIRC that parameter is on the Settings screen of the unRAID web-GUI, but don't quote me on that.
Sweet .... I was going to ask about that but you answered... you read my mind.

Now for user shares....

I been watching this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=K8JMZXZjI3w

When I create my user shares:

MOVIES - High Water/Split Level 1

PICTURES - High Water/Split Level 0

MUSIC - High Water/Split Level 0

BACKUP - High Water/Split Level 0

Am I doing this right.... I would just like the movies to get split on multiple drives... but the rest to stay together.

Or am I missing something? Wink
That seems like a perfect breakdown EXCEPT no TV Shows!
That looks right to me based on how you want the data to be spread out. I'm assuming that each movie will be in its own folder that will placed in your movies share. Also, since a split level of 0 will force the data onto a single disk you can use the included disks option to specify which disk the share will be created on otherwise unraid will pick a disk for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beer's unRAID Server2