Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!
(2012-11-02, 08:57)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Still normal atx, tell you vendor he's a moron. Tongue

Well, I was with my Antec 1200 case at the vendor and he showed me what he said are the "new" PSU units. No idea why, but they are indeed shorter in height. So, he could screw the lower two screws and it would work, but it would leave a 2-3cm free gap and woudln't be attached to the upper screw holes.

Any thoughts?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
change vendor.
(2012-11-02, 17:29)eskro Wrote: change vendor.

So true, a hardware vendor that can't read 'atx' shouldn't be possible...
Please help explain what he's getting wrong?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Atx ha been and will be the standard psu size for years he's clearly been droped on the floor head first one too many times.
Just by a atx psu and tell him to se a doctor asap Tongue
(2012-11-03, 15:44)RaggSokk3n Wrote: Atx ha been and will be the standard psu size for years he's clearly been droped on the floor head first one too many times.
Just by a atx psu and tell him to se a doctor asap Tongue

Rofl

What is an ATX PSU? Big Grin

ATX (Advanced Technology eXtended)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX_PSU#Power_supply

Now we know... ain't wikipedia nice...

Hey guys, Im new to the unRAID world and putting one together in general but definitely want to head that way and take it on as a project as Im running out of room with my 2TB external and 1TB internal for my HTPC. Based on the recommendations in this thread I've narrowed it down to these items

My case will be a Antec 1200 v3
Mobo: AsRock 880GM
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X series

I know I need a PSU but am a little unsure on what I would be best, I looked at CORSAIR Enthusiast Series

Is this build sufficient? Ideally Im looking to make it as future proof as possible, I was thinking of starting with a 3TB parity drive and adding other 3TB drives as I go.
(2012-11-29, 02:30)walkities Wrote: Hey guys, Im new to the unRAID world and putting one together in general but definitely want to head that way and take it on as a project as Im running out of room with my 2TB external and 1TB internal for my HTPC. Based on the recommendations in this thread I've narrowed it down to these items

I know I need a PSU but am a little unsure on what I would be best, I looked at CORSAIR Enthusiast Series

Is this build sufficient? Ideally Im looking to make it as future proof as possible, I was thinking of starting with a 3TB parity drive and adding other 3TB drives as I go.

i am concerned about the power consumption (95 watt cpu) and heat for this setup there are many more choices out there
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-11-29, 07:01)lagledavid Wrote:
(2012-11-29, 02:30)walkities Wrote: Hey guys, Im new to the unRAID world and putting one together in general but definitely want to head that way and take it on as a project as Im running out of room with my 2TB external and 1TB internal for my HTPC. Based on the recommendations in this thread I've narrowed it down to these items

i am concerned about the power consumption (95 watt cpu) and heat for this setup there are many more choices out there

Do you have any recommendations on what to change, obviously the cheaper the better. I had originally heard that I could use a Sempron CPU but wasnt sure if it would be the best choice. What about the heat issue? Could I not just add some more cooling inside the case?
(2012-11-29, 07:01)lagledavid Wrote: i am concerned about the power consumption (95 watt cpu) and heat for this setup there are many more choices out there

I would suggest at least a 750 watt single rail power supply if you plan to go to ~15 drives. A 650W should be ok up to ~10 drives. If you think you may go to 20 drives, I would suggest a 900 watt supply. I would also suggest a moduler supply.

If you want want it future proof, I would go with a motherboad capable with at least 2X PCi-E4 slots if you think you may go to 20 drives. That way you could grow to 20 drives using 5in3 expansion cages.

For a case, you could go with a Norco 4220, http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6811219033, case now if you have the room and wanted to spend a little more money. The pluggable hardrives make it so much simpler to work with. The down side is that it is very deep as it is a real server case.

As far as the processor goes, you could get by with a smaller processor if you do not run other applications other than Unraid. A few more cores should help if you want to use other apps, such as SABnzbd, CouchPotato and Sickbeard. It would also be nice if you decide to do real time transcoding on the server to stream to a phone or tablet. I did test it by doing real time transcoding and it worked fine.

The dual-core I use works fine, but occasionaly gets behind when I have a lot going on. I am running other apps. most of the time, ie 98% it keeps up just fine. I wanted to lower the thermal load in the room so went with a 65w processor. In the winter it is not bad, but the room can really heat up during the summer.

My Unraid Build
Antec Nine Hundred Case. I wish I had went with 1200 now.
NZXT HALE82 750W power supply.
ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 Motherboard,
AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor 3.2GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor,
16GB Crucial Ballistix 4x4GB DDR3 Model BLT4G3D1608DT1TX0, overkill for unraid, but it was cheap when I purchsed it and this allows me the option to use a different OS/Server if desired, for example FreeNAS or Windows Home Server
SATA Expansion ports -
SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 (8 ports) and Syba SD-SA2PEX-2IR (Silicon Image SIL3132) (2 ports),
3 x NORCO SS-500 v2 with original fans replaced by 3 x Coolink SWiF2-800 Fan
Data - 2 x - WD 3TB - WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
Data - 3 x - Seagate 1.5 TB - ST31500541AS
Parity - 1 x - Hitachi 4 TB - HDS724040AL4640
Cache - 1 x - Seagate 1.5 TB - ST31500541AS
unRAID Server Pro version: 5.0-rc6-r8168-test2

I have 2X 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001drives being precleared as I write this.
Have a look here for some ideas about the PSU you may need.Unraid power supplies

I recently finished an Unraid server. with 18 drives, but has the possiblities to go to 24. My Unraid Build
It looks like Antec have discontinued the 1200 v3 - cant get any supplies in the UK - is there a recommended alternative?
(2013-09-30, 11:02)Chuck Bartowski Wrote: It looks like Antec have discontinued the 1200 v3 - cant get any supplies in the UK - is there a recommended alternative?

You might want to look at some Fractal Design cases. I think some of them would work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!0