Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!
eskro Wrote:this is jawdroping o.O

BigO is the KiNG!!!!!!!!

Smile

Nah far from it, i just do my best to do good stuff with help from people like yourself who post such useful information.

I planned that build for about 8 months since it was partially new hardware with a bunch of old hardware. It was a big headache but a glorious win once i got it all set up and running.

Heres a quick break down of the space this gives me:

500gbR1EXT
55% of 451GB
Total: 451G | Used: 228G | Free: 187G
Pool1tbBlkRz1 (4*1tb WD Blacks Raidz1=Raid5)
69% of 3.62TB
Total: 3.62T | Used: 1.89T | Free: 793G | State: ONLINE
Pool1tbEadsRz1 (4*1tb WD Eads Raidz1=Raid5)
55% of 3.62TB
Total: 3.62T | Used: 1.52T | Free: 1.15T | State: ONLINE
Pool2tbEarsRz2 (8*2tb WD Ears Raidz2=Raid6)
55% of 14.5TB
Total: 14.5T | Used: 5.73T | Free: 4.42T | State: ONLINE
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-LR - Zotac Zbox Plus - 36gb SSD - 3Gb Mem - Frodo
XBMC-BR - Foxcon 330i - 16gb SSD - 2Gb Mem - FrodoRc3
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

@BigO - Nice rig. My anti-OCD side likes how you mixed in a little bit of Roman numerals on the drive lables just to mix things up! Nod
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:@BigO - Nice rig. My anti-OCD side likes how you mixed in a little bit of Roman numerals on the drive lables just to mix things up! Nod

LOL i had old drives that had data on them and needed to make sure everything got plugged into the correct controllers and ports so i had to make sure that one set stood out from the rest lol.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo
XBMC-Mini - MacMini - 128Gb OCZ Agility - 5Gb Mem - Frodo - Running SQL - Auto Library Update
Synology DiskStation Ds1512+(Dsm 4.3-3776) - 4gb Mem - 5*3tb Wd Reds [SHR] - 2GB Bonded Link - (SSD Cache WIP)

Another option with the Antec 1200 (for Americans) is to use these with the built-in fans:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/04...etail.html

Just leave the fans on front, and take out the Antec's HD cages and replace with those stabilizers. This is what I do.

Now I can see the Antec with cages on it actually looks good!
The blue lights put me off originally.
You could also make this into a 20 drive case with the Norco 3 to 5 bays.
eskro Wrote:Corsair 500W has a single raiL
and thats what you want when using an unRAID Server...

its +12v Rail has 34A which means it can handle 17 'Green' drives!

So your definitely 'Safe' when using 16 Green HDD's with this build,,,,

fantastic, thanks for the info!
Geran Wrote:You could also make this into a 20 drive case with the Norco 3 to 5 bays.
That is correct but it'll cost you $360 just for the bays alone. If you ultimately want capacity for 20 drives then your best option is a Norco 4220 @ $350. If you don't want a rackmount case then the Antec 1200 with 5-in-3 bays is probably your best 20 drive capaity option.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:If you ultimately want capacity for 20 drives then your best option is a Norco 4220 @ $350.

he can get a NORCO RPC-4020 for $295 shipped from mwave.com
which also handles 20 drives!!

wsume99 Wrote:If you don't want a rackmount case then the Antec 1200 with 5-in-3 bays is probably your best option.

Definitely correct! +1
but pricey Tongue

ANTEC 1200 + 4xNORCO-5in3 = $520
NORCO RPC-4020 = $295

there's a $225 difference O.O
Yeah that's why i went with the slightly cheaper option. I couldn't do a rack mount of thew wife would have literally killed me with a sharp object. Also those 3-5 bays are tight on the drives so they are going to run a bit warmer and the extra cost for just 4 extra drives just didn't seem right.

Eventually ill be getting a Norco once we move into a new place with a closet dedicated for this for now ill stick to normal sized PC's that fit on my backers rack that my wife wont get too mad at me for lol.
XBMC-ATV2 - Frodo

Some people like towers over rackmounts. :p
hi there,

sorry for the question, but is it possible to just use the hardware of my old asrock ion 330 and put it in a new case to add several hdd's?
or is the board/cpu etc. not capable for this purpose?

ion 330 overview

board

thanks for your help
well i guess that could work but,
your max possible hard drives would be 12 total with that motherboard...

base your build on the Cheapest 12 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!

and your good to go....

but note that if your planning on installing addons like SICK/SAB/COUCH,
your ATOM CPU is too week,,,

but its good enough if your just letting your NAS be a NAS
thanks for your answer. i'd like to run sab/couch/sick...didn't know that they are so cpu intensive. (they all work fine on my old macbook) how much would be enough...i3?

thanks
thats a question you could ask on the official unRAID forum but,
to my knowledge, at least get a dual-core ATHLON x250 and 2GB of ram,,,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest 16 HDD's Capable unRAID Server Build Money can buy!!0