XMBC and Windows 8
The Developer version of Windows 8 was released yesterday.

Has anyone tried installing XMBC on it? You are supposed to be able to install any application that worked on Windows 7 on 8, just checking.

Also, is there any plans for development of a Metro app of XMBC or the tablet interface applet that Windows 8 has?
Installs and runs fine!
I'd be extremely surprised if any of the Windows devs has had a second to even look at Win8 so far, much less develop a plan for software nobody has had the ability to see yet. With that said, making XBMC more awesome is always a good thing.
Eden nightly running on a Dell Opti 990 with Windows 8 is bliss. Haven't had a single issue. System Info Screen Cap
I have nit tried this yet but if anyone wants to try

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516/
HTPC
PC: Home Built
Processor: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 980 ti
Ram: 16GB DDR4
XBMC: Kodi Jarvis
Skin: Aeon Badnox Beta

ccoltmanm Wrote:Also, is there any plans for development of a Metro app of XBMC or the tablet interface applet that Windows 8 has?

Team Blackbolt plan to make a Metro based skin sometime in the future.
it's been a while and consumer preview is out, any news on this?
i've been using xbmc on windows 8 since the preview launch, with no hiccups at all, in fact i think it runs a little faster than on windows 7.
I wouldn't expect to see an official Metro version of XBMC that therefore will run on ARM tablets; would love to because the thought of a low-power tablet running XBMC is quite appealing also would look nice. I don't know if it would get pass Microsoft to appear on the app store; they would prefer everyone to use their own Video app which still doesn't like mkv's as do Apple prefer you to use iTunes and its player.

Windows 8 does run faster than 7, i have a few bugs with my graphics card and wireless; the former which has old drivers and i can't update because new drivers crash windows on start up.

I do expect to see more Metro-ish skins, there is already lightbox.
I tried Windows 8 on my HTPC and it ran fast and smooth with one major issue...I couldnt get it to use the audio driver for my AMD A4 GPU.
Instead it kept defaulting back to the windows driver and telling me it was already using the best driver.
Using the windows driver it would only allow 2 channel sound.
I spent a very frustrating night until about 3 a.m. until I just gave up and loaded windows 7 on it.

Ill probably try it again when I regain my patience as it seems others have it working just fine.
Running XBMC just fine on Windows 8. Only issue I had was that the webservice wouldnt start until I changed the default port but otherwise it looks great. Will play about with that lightbox skin, it looks great.
(2012-04-29, 14:31)reksveks Wrote: I wouldn't expect to see an official Metro version of XBMC that therefore will run on ARM tablets; would love to because the thought of a low-power tablet running XBMC is quite appealing also would look nice. I don't know if it would get pass Microsoft to appear on the app store; they would prefer everyone to use their own Video app which still doesn't like mkv's as do Apple prefer you to use iTunes and its player.

I'm not so sure. "Metro style apps can also include additional decoders (such as FLAC, MKV, OGG, etc.) in their apps package for use within the apps." From Building Windows 8 Blog. It would certainly be great if it could be done.

Also, I'm sure someone will create a Metro remote app. I've played around with it already. I'll try to post some pics of it when I get a chance.
(2012-05-05, 04:41)darick_c Wrote: I'm not so sure. "Metro style apps can also include additional decoders (such as FLAC, MKV, OGG, etc.) in their apps package for use within the apps." From Building Windows 8 Blog. It would certainly be great if it could be done.

Also, I'm sure someone will create a Metro remote app. I've played around with it already. I'll try to post some pics of it when I get a chance.

Does sound promising, Microsoft are confusing me, in one sense backing away from media center with the non-support of dvd which i understand since i haven't played a dvd on my pc/laptop for years and then supporting Dolby digital plus.

I'm finding XBMC with Windows 8 a real pain. I want XBMC to open automatically at startup, or to be lauchable by remote control. This was all simple with Windows 7.

With Windows 8, if I put an XBMC shortcut into the Startup folder, it launches on the Desktop, but it won't switch to the Desktop on its own. If I manually switch to the Desktop, you can see XBMC has started but the Task Bar is on top and you can't get rid of it. If you launch XBMC manually from a shortcut on the Start Screen, this doesn't happen.

If I configure XBMC to run as a "True Full Screen Application", launching via a Startup folder shortcut works as expected. Metro disappears and XBMC appears full screen, but it doesn't have focus. The mouse and keyboard can't operate it unless I open the Task Manager and switch back to XBMC which gives it focus (alt-tab also works, but there has to be another desktop application open to switch to and from), but the mouse still doesn't work correctly. The Windows mouse pointer appears on-screen as well as the XBMC mouse pointer, and control is erratic. Only certain parts of the interface seem to respond to clicks. The XBMC mouse pointer disappears when the mouse is moved over areas that won't respond. It's very strange.

If I use a third party application to launch XBMC via the official XBMC Android app (the application listens for WoL), XBMC launches and behaves the same as above. The remote app can control it, but XBMC doesn't have mouse or keyboard focus, and the Windows mouse pointer is on screen the whole time.

None of this was a problem with Windows 7.
(2012-05-06, 10:47)IronChef Wrote: None of this was a problem with Windows 7.

So point being, switch back to Win7 for now?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBC and Windows 81