[AppleTV2] XBMC crash on certain movies at the same place each time
Hi,

First of all I have to thank the XBMC community for developing XBMC to iOS. Without this I wouldnt have bought the AppleTV. Its a great piece of software!

Now to my question:
XBMC works perfectly on most movies, but on certain it crashes (the AppleTV reboots back to the normal UI). The crashes happen at the exact same time in the movies (different time in different movies, but if I replay the movie the crash is at the exact same time each time).
I can skip past the crash if I jump forward just before it happens. But there are multiple places in the corrupt movies that triggers a crash so this is not an option. Like once every 5 minutes. So skipping forward is not really an option.

This leads me to conclude that the problem is with the movies (I have turned of the update checker in iOS). The format of the movies is x264 with MKV container. Please note that all the movies I play are of this format. I havent noticed any difference between 1080p and 720p.

If I play the movies on my computer (from the same source, a NAS) they work fine, without even a flicker at the time when XBMC crashes.

Is there a setting that I havent found to, I dont know, ignore errors in the files?

Thanks in advance!

/Erik
Have you tried one of the XBMC nightlies? May fix the problem.
Star 
Some movies have errors... and as you've noted, they crash at the error. You could try to re-encode them (handbrake or some such to massage the file) but you'll probably end up crashing the encoder at the same spot. Some media players are a little less picky, and play past errors with a glich or two. XBMC users have demanded PQ over error correction..

Others have noted this issue... Either change your settings on the encoder, or download files that pass proper CRC checking etc. I personally just toss them.

I do get these issues when I join two video files without an editor, and yes try the nightly.. perhaps the video engine has been reworked.
just check the video file in your computer Shocked

sometimes the files are brokenAngry
I tried to install the latest nightly...
It didnt help, it crashed at the same exact place.

It wouldnt bother me if it didnt work perfectly on my computer. Angry

Any other ideas? New iOS? I really dont want to since I'll have to jailbreak it tethered... But if it helps...
Sounds like your movies are packed into multiple .rar files and some of that have CRC errors. If so, try to unpack.
The movie is unpacked and one file. I never unpacked it. I got it this way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] XBMC crash on certain movies at the same place each time0