Share your speed, performance, user tweaks.
I found the following tweaks scattered around the forum. I use them on my ATV2 (Apple TV 2). I am always looking for more, so share your comments, suggestions, tweaks, etc..

1: Create advancedsettings.xml in "/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/"
2: This is what I have in there so far.
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <fanartheight>540</fanartheight>
    <thumbsize>256</thumbsize>
    <network>
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
    </network>
    <video>
    <timeseekforward>60</timeseekforward>
    <timeseekbackward>-60</timeseekbackward>
    <subsdelayrange>30</subsdelayrange>
    </video>
</advancedsettings>
3: The fanartheight and thumbsize, will increase UI performance. It lowers the resolution of your fanart and thumbs. You will need to delete your thumb cache in "/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails" and rescan your library.
4: cachemembuffersize, is a icefilms tweak, that keeps the video from failing. I heard the default cache size is 8MB. So if you pause along time, the video will fail. This sets the buffer to 0, letting the whole movie be cached, letting you pause forever.
5: the timeseek tweak, simply changes the seek from 30 seconds to 60 seconds.

Note: 540 fanartheight will create fanart of 960x540 (16/9)
Great idea for a post. I also did the fanart and thumb tweaks but after the last official release (10.0-9), speed seemed to be fixed so I removed them. I set my play button to show the movie/tv show info instead of automatically playing so I like to have higher res thumbs.
Code:

Vad har this code doing?
Edit: After some Google seeking i think its so the subs are delayed with 30 secs. Why do u have that for?
zidewinder Wrote:
Code:

Vad har this code doing?
Edit: After some Google seeking i think its so the subs are delayed with 30 secs. Why do u have that for?
I think that is something I just never removed. I rarely use subs, so never actually tested it. I had planned on it, as the settings was included for some reason when I found the seek settings. I just do not remember what that reason was.... But likely, you can just discard it.

Edit: I just tested subtitles with the setting. My subs are still in sync, so not sure what that setting does...
rbronco21 Wrote:Great idea for a post. I also did the fanart and thumb tweaks but after the last official release (10.0-9), speed seemed to be fixed so I removed them. I set my play button to show the movie/tv show info instead of automatically playing so I like to have higher res thumbs.

I'm using a nightly from sep09 and the speed is pretty good i think. Does it make sence to use that thumb-tweak aswell and will it make performance even more better than it is in current nightlies? I'm just asking, dont want to rescrape my whole library just to see that there is no improvement Wink
Maetrik Wrote:I'm using a nightly from sep09 and the speed is pretty good i think. Does it make sence to use that thumb-tweak aswell and will it make performance even more better than it is in current nightlies? I'm just asking, dont want to rescrape my whole library just to see that there is no improvement Wink
If you are happy with your performance with the skin you are using, then I say leave it be. But if you are looking for every shortcut to get the most out of your ATV2, then go ahead and re scrape away. It just might give you the extra cpu cycles and memory to make whatever skin you are trying to use, a more pleasant experience.

rbronco21 Wrote:I set my play button to show the movie/tv show info instead of automatically playing so I like to have higher res thumbs.
How do you do this?
Takenover83 Wrote:I think that is something I just never removed. I rarely use subs, so never actually tested it. I had planned on it, as the settings was included for some reason when I found the seek settings. I just do not remember what that reason was.... But likely, you can just discard it.

Edit: I just tested subtitles with the setting. My subs are still in sync, so not sure what that setting does...

I believe it should allow you to delay or advance the sub to audio offset by 30 seconds. The standard is 10 seconds either way.

I guess it's handy if you use the subtitle add-on and it grabs subs that aren't the right ones for your rip....

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
Maetrik Wrote:I'm using a nightly from sep09 and the speed is pretty good i think. Does it make sence to use that thumb-tweak aswell and will it make performance even more better than it is in current nightlies? I'm just asking, dont want to rescrape my whole library just to see that there is no

The tweak really sped up loading from slow to instantaneous with 15 thumbs on the screen and fanart loading in the background, so if there is any waiting, it should help, but probably not worth rescraping. I thought there had to be some way to remake thumbs without rescraping but I couldn't figure it out. Anyone know? For the best result, make sure to do fanart as well. I will probably add these back in and just make them bigger than the example above so I get full resolution when displayed. Does that mean I should use 720 to get thumbs and fanart the same size as the 720p display?

Takenover83 Wrote:How do you do this?

It's under Settings->Video->File Lists->Default select action in Alaska Revisited. Not sure if it changes locations in different skins.
A couple of other things you can do to speed up UI performance.

1: After you have everything setup the way you like, disable the other view types and enable kiosk mode if your skin supports it.
2: Enable a Global Background for the Front Main Menu. With only one background, you will be able to fly around the main menu much more quickly.

I know Quartz supports both of these options.
Great thread. This should be present in every XBMC OS version thread Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share your speed, performance, user tweaks.0