Which motherboard in NAS/HTPC
Quick question:

If you have a ION-moterboard and a motherboard with i3 2100T, both mini-ITX, which motherboard will you have used in a NAS and a HTPC and why?

I'm struggling to decide Oo
The i3 definitely, the Atom-ION is kind of weak for running just XBMC by itself - I wouldn't want to throw NAS-related functions at it as well.
It depends on your choice of OS, with Linux the Atom+ION is perfectly fast enough for XBMC and NAS, with Windows you most likely need the i3.

Remember that most of the hard work on the Atom+ION is done by the ION GPU in hardware, the cpu is not getting more than 10 -20% use and running a NAS doesn't require much cpu power (unless you have dozens of local clients that all access the NAS at the same time at Gbit speed).
Yeah, I'd use the Atom+ION for xbmc, and the i3 for the server. Reason being that a server has absolutely no use for the graphics capabilities offered by ION, but does have potential uses for the extra cpu power offered by the i3. XBMC on the other hand, can and will make full use of the ION, so it seems that would be the best choice. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which motherboard in NAS/HTPC0