Where do I start for PVR knowledge?
I have been using XBMC for about 2 months IN ADDITION TO my standard cable box (Time Warner SoCal).
I have learned an amazing amount about XBMC and am in love with it. I currently have windows 7 w/ Pre-Eden installed. I have no cable card installed and have no clue which one to even get. I do want HD. I just have absolutely no idea what is needed to run a pvr instead of my standard dvr from TW.
for windows, you'll need a card which has BDA drivers available and you'll have to install and configure one of the supported PVR backends. afaik, that's only mediaportal and fortherecord.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Any recommendations for a card?
It depends on whether you decide for Linux or Windows. Here is link for hw device information for Linux. I think all of them work for Windows too.
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hardwa...nformation

Do you have an extra PCI/PCIe slot or need to connect via USB? If I had had an extra slot, I would have decided for PCIe. With a little crafting I connected my USB card to the power supply of my HTPC.
I'm running Windows 7 and I have pci-e slots available
Here is a list of cards supported by MediaPortal:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIA...d_TV_Cards
I do apologize, my knowledge is non existent when it comes to pvr/ capture cards. Will I be able to use my htpc nearly exactly as I do my current cable box?
I have no idea how you're using your cable box Smile
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
dushmaniac Wrote:for windows, you'll need a card which has BDA drivers available and you'll have to install and configure one of the supported PVR backends. afaik, that's only mediaportal and fortherecord.

Any change to get dvbviewer recordingservice to supported backends list?
Recservice use normal unicast devices.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where do I start for PVR knowledge?0