[AppleTV2] Is the XMBC media server akin to the Plex Media Server?
I ask because I've used Plex exclusively for two months, until it was broken by the latest firmware update. Now I'm relying on xmbc.

From what I understand, they way Plex works is that the media server on my PC does the bulk of the heavily lifting - doing the transcoding, I mean - while streaming that data to my appleTV 2. If I'm inaccurate on this count please correct me.

If, on the other-hand, I'm being correct, is there an equivalent for xmbc? i.e. a program/media server that does most of the work? I ask because while my xmbc can play most media well, it stutters with larger 720p files. Seeking/fast-fowarding is also agonizingly slow. I have no idea if this has to do with the fact that xmbc is using the appleTV2 hardware instead of my PC hardware, but if so...well, I return the question that I asked at the beginning of this paragraph.

Thank you =)
I don't get the sense of Plex if you don't have 384754839 Clients in your house.
Why would you want to have a Computer running, just to have your data on the AppleTV (or any other Plex Client)?

I just watched a 1080 Movie with nearly 20GB in Size and it showed it flawlessly over the latest XBMC nightly.

So if you bash XBMC, try at least to be on the very last official release or (even better) on one of the more actual nightlies. If it still does not work, then you can ask why in the right kind of style (log file, crash file...) and you will be helped with.

Regards, Mark (who switched back over from Plex to XMBC over a year now Cool )
Short answer: no

XBMC on the ATV2 is a full install of XBMC. It's not a light version, the video doesn't get transcoded, it's not watered down.

If you are having stuttering issues then do two things: One is make sure you have the very latest nightly build: Installing the latest nightly build

If you still have issues then check your network. If you are using wireless, are you using a wireless-N router? Have you tried a wired connection to rule out wireless speeds as the issue? Have you tried other network protocols like AFP (just added in the latest nightlies)?

If you still have issues then post your debug log, because normally XBMC on ATV2 works very well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Is the XMBC media server akin to the Plex Media Server?0