X10 Commander Lights
Hi,

For some time I was busy searching for a nice Add-on to control my lights with an X10 module when I was playing a Video.

I Found a lot of info but not a simple add-on that would do this without installing extra software, like EventGhost.

The only Additional software I have is a communication package that arrange's my requests to go to the X10 device's via a CM15pro (but you need this also in the other cases).

So based on the found information I created my own Service Add-On:

25NOV2012 V.1.0.0 Released
20SEP2011 V.0.0.3 Released
18SEP2011 V.0.0.2 Released

X10 Commander Lights
Configuration posibilities:
  • IP-address to (CM15 Pro) host
  • Port number of host
  • Device ID, for the light you want to control
  • Application selection, X10-Commander or HomeSeer Added in V0.0.3
  • XBMC Events, DIM/BRIGHT (0-100%) Added in V0.0.2
  • PLAYER Events, DIM/BRIGHT (0-100%) Added in V0.0.2
Usage:
When starting XBMC:
  • Activate light and Dim to 50% (settable since V0.0.2)
When stopping XBMC:
  • Activate light Stop lights (settable since V0.0.2)
When watching Video:
  • Video started or resumed, Dim lights 100% (settable since V0.0.2)
  • Video paused, stopped or ended, Bright lights 50% (settable since V0.0.2)

You can find a manual here
And the Add-on here

All used info is in the manual, also prerequisits, how to install and configure.

Hope some of you can use it.

A few questions..
  • Is X10 Commander free?
  • Does your addon work with multiple devices/lights (different X10 addresses)?
  • Can you customize each devices' actions based on the XBMC action?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:A few questions..
  • Is X10 Commander free?
  • Does your addon work with multiple devices/lights (different X10 addresses)?
  • Can you customize each devices' actions based on the XBMC action?

X10 Commander - Server is for free check out this link

It now only works with One X10 device (but more can be added in code)

Only in the Add-on code customize actions for each device depending on the XBMC action can be made.

I will add your requests to my request list.
If you are open to adding multiple devices / multiple actions and can make the code so we can easily support other apps... count me in!

I use Z-wave and Insteon, removed all my X10 years ago, and have been using some free apps we could interface using simple HTTP commands if your code will support.

Also, the apps are open source and the devs are really cool guys and they'd help up support it with XBMC.

Let me know
Livin Wrote:If you are open to adding multiple devices / multiple actions and can make the code so we can easily support other apps... count me in!

I use Z-wave and Insteon, removed all my X10 years ago, and have been using some free apps we could interface using simple HTTP commands if your code will support.

Also, the apps are open source and the devs are really cool guys and they'd help up support it with XBMC.

Let me know

I created this Add-on for my own needs.
X10 is very cheap (compared to Z-wave, Insteon is not available in europe) and it does the job for me.

Currently I am busy to add additional configuration settings for:
  • XBMC events
  • Player events
to my addon.
(In my test enviorment this is already working)

Then I will try to add multiple device's

Later on I can take a look at other supplier/servers/device's.
But I want to keep it simple.
What I'm asking for would not be to have you to support devices/protocols directly... just support a method to easily define a communication method with other apps (beyond X10commander)... the other apps do the control, you are just making it easy to send/receive commands from those apps.
Shoop_NL Wrote:I created this Add-on for my own needs.
X10 is very cheap (compared to Z-wave, Insteon is not available in europe) and it does the job for me.
Later on I can take a look at other supplier/servers/device's.
But I want to keep it simple.

If you want to support a few Linux users that are using Heyu all you need to do is send terminal commands. The other Linux X10 program is called Mister House..not sure if there are command line controls or not. I didn't see any mention of CM11a but there are Windows programs that allow you to control that via command line.
heyu a1 off/on
heyu a1 dim 20
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Dobyken Wrote:If you want to support a few Linux users that are using Heyu all you need to do is send terminal commands. The other Linux X10 program is called Mister House..not sure if there are command line controls or not. I didn't see any mention of CM11a but there are Windows programs that allow you to control that via command line.
heyu a1 off/on
heyu a1 dim 20

The CM11a is supported by X10 commander (server).

I am not into the Linux platform very much.
I have some distributions running on VMware.

For now I will try to add a few different applications to communicatie with via http.
Since X10 commander (server) is not able to give me the status of devices back, I am currently testing with Active Home Vista
Which has also webserver functionality and is for free.
Good stuff!
Been looking at getting some x10 devices for a while. I have a couple of questions

What kit do I need?
I assume a controller and dimmer switch. could you provide links for these.
What is the approx cost of the setup?
Does x10 dimmers work with mainspowered halogen lamps>?
pin0chet Wrote:Good stuff!
Been looking at getting some x10 devices for a while. I have a couple of questions

What kit do I need?
I assume a controller and dimmer switch. could you provide links for these.
What is the approx cost of the setup?
Does x10 dimmers work with mainspowered halogen lamps>?

Setup cost, see this link about 60 dollar i think.
Or if you live in europe this is a nice starter kit

(Mains) halogen lamps are supported, though limited, see this link
Dobyken Wrote:If you want to support a few Linux users that are using Heyu all you need to do is send terminal commands. The other Linux X10 program is called Mister House..not sure if there are command line controls or not. I didn't see any mention of CM11a but there are Windows programs that allow you to control that via command line.
heyu a1 off/on
heyu a1 dim 20

By the way, Heyu is already suported by X10 Commander.
Check out Linux/Unix support on this page.
I released a new version,
Details here
This is pretty cool. I wanted to do something similar with Control4 lights. I'm able to discover Directors' IP address automatically and connect to retrieve a device listing (about 2 mb) it's in a non well formed xml format but I'm having trouble parsing it to get all the light IDs. I've already written a python script that parses it but it's using lxml. I never thought about setting up everything to be configured manually. I wanted something that worked automatically. I might have a look at your code. I can probably get it to work with Control4 pretty easily.
JonD Wrote:This is pretty cool. I wanted to do something similar with Control4 lights. I'm able to discover Directors' IP address automatically and connect to retrieve a device listing (about 2 mb) it's in a non well formed xml format but I'm having trouble parsing it to get all the light IDs. I've already written a python script that parses it but it's using lxml. I never thought about setting up everything to be configured manually. I wanted something that worked automatically. I might have a look at your code. I can probably get it to work with Control4 pretty easily.

Hi JonD,

Feel free to use the code, everything is pretty straight forward.
There are no fancy functions (yet)

Currently I am busy to add different applications
(so not only X10 commander - server)

Later on I will also try to add more then one device.

Regards
i have tried to install this manually but cant and it doesnt show up in addons browser
I am using XBMC LIVE 10.1 Mar 9 2011
Any tips

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
X10 Commander Lights1