Improve the sound on my xbmc and ATV 2
Hey everyone,

I have a normal flatscreen tv with an ATV 2 hooked up to it through an HDMI cable and it's jail broken with xbmc.

I use icefilms plugin a lot and I noticed the sound is never really great. I have to turn my tv up really loud to get good sound. I was wondering if there was a way to enhance the sound. I noticed another plug hole on the back of my ATV 2. What is it's purpose. Some type of audio?

Is there certain settings in xbmc inshould change under setting to help with sound. I'm pretty née to all of this and would like to get decent sound. Any ideas would be great. For instance, is there a cord I can buy to hit in from the ATV 2 to the tv or a setting to change. I see some people on here have some massive sound setups. I'm not trying to go superman, but would like to get some better sound quality. Any help would be great.
Nothing much you can do if your only using your TV speakers. You can try to adjust the sound on your TV.

The other plug on your ATV is a optical digital output to connect to an audio/video amp.

You can not adjust the sound in the ATV.
What about other options like surround sound and stuff? I've seen some hook ups where the people have big speakers and surround sound?
I've got my ATV2 hooked up to this Bose system without any issues at all. Great surround sound.
pooh Wrote:I've got my ATV2 hooked up to this Bose system without any issues at all. Great surround sound.

So how exactly does this work if you have an atv 2? Do you just hook the bose system into the tv and so when the atv 2 feeds the audio through the hdmi cable to the tv the tv then sends it to the sound system?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question, but Im very new to all of this and trying to learn. Thanks in advance.
The Bose system is designed to take over control of all connected devices.

I feed the HDMI of the ATV2 to Bose, and the Bose is connected to my TV. Same with my HD recorder and Cablebox, all go into Bose and Bose sends it off to TV and takes care of audio through the surround system. My tv is 'degraded' to monitor only, so you can use a nice monitor instead of a TV (as long as it has HDMI IN.

Must say, it works like a charm, but Bose will set you back a few $, there are cheaper systems out there. My consideration at the time was to have a central audio system that could receive minimum 4 HDMI IN signals and several OUT options, including HDMI and optical. It brought me to the Bose system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Improve the sound on my xbmc and ATV 20